Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:15 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Arizona is not mostly hot, empty desert full of saguaro cacti. We have the largest stand of Ponderosa Pine trees of any state in the country, we have plenty of mountains, and places that get snow.
Quite so. Got this from an old Frommer's guidebook; Arizona has more square miles of mountains than Switzerland and more acres of forestland than Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Talking about sterotypes, the biggest suprise to me was something several people mentioned already. The media/Hollywood etc almost always shows Washington and Oregon as being a natural garden paradise, filled with green mountains, waterfalls, cool rivers and tall pine forests.

Turns out thats true for the western parts of those states. But the eastern half of those states is mostly arid lands. Thats never shown on television.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
Arizona is all desert with no forest. When in fact Arizona has more forest than Maine.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's probably a generational thing. It might've been true over 50 years ago, but only really old people who say 'Joisey' these days.
Says the guy from Australia.

No. I am over 50 and lived in New Jersey all my life, and even those relatives and neighbors now long singing with the bleedin' choir invisible never called this state "Joisey".

The place that comes from is in old movies from the 30s and 40s where characters on the Bowery or in Brooklyn or Queens referred to NJ, because they were the only people who talked that way. And it's not an accent that's easy to find in those places anymore, either.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Arizona is not mostly hot, empty desert full of saguaro cacti. We have the largest stand of Ponderosa Pine trees of any state in the country, we have plenty of mountains, and places that get snow. I bet most people would never think that this was taken in Arizona (much less 25 miles from Tucson):

I am surprised. I would not have guessed Arizona had places like that. Thanks for posting those pictures.

I have only been in the corner where you drive from Las Vegas to the Western Rim of the Grand Canyon, so I only saw desert. But still, I thought most of Arizona did not have big trees.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I'd like to correct the recent idiotic stereotype that Minnesotans are not like the characters out of a scene from the movie Fargo, when in fact they most definitely are too.

http://www.albertleatribune.com/wp-c...an.play_.4.jpg

Old 07-14-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'd like to correct the recent idiotic stereotype that Minnesotans are not like the characters out of a scene from the movie Fargo, when in fact they most definitely are too.

http://www.albertleatribune.com/wp-c...an.play_.4.jpg

ROFL. I was watching one of the true-crime shows, and they interviewed a witness who'd found a body in the woods of Minnesota, and he sounded exactly like one of the people from Fargo. Love that movie.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:35 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,095 times
Quote:
Arizona is all desert with no forest. When in fact Arizona has more forest than Maine.
The same is true with the myth that it does not snow in Arizona. Anyone who has been to the Flagstaff area knows how truly false this is.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:24 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Texas Stereotypes:

Image: Texans all ride horses and drive gas guzzlers.
FACT: Actually, you see that more in rural areas. Horses are more just recreational/special event. The SUV's and big ass trucks are somewhat accurate, but it's not uncommon to see a Smart Car or Prius or just people on bikes around.

Image: Texas is a Conservative, Bible-Thumping Red State.
FACT: Yeah, we have that.... and we also have one of the first openly gay mayors in one of the top 5 largest cities in America. We also have every major city in the state (Fort Worth is questionable, but not by much) vote for Obama in the past election. We also have several calls for green/alternative energy along with being the biggest producer of wind energy in the U.S. We also have Athiests, Agnostics, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, and people of several different faiths who are welcomed as much as any. We also have GLBT scenes and communities.

Image: Texas is nothing but country music lovin' Rednecks.
FACT: You'll find that Texas is VERY diverse in music and people when you look at this, this, this, this, this, this, this, and this. But there's nothin' wrong with a little country.

Image: Texas is rural.
FACT: .... quite possibly the dumbest stereotype. I mean, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth, El Paso, Corpus Christi, Lubbock, Waco, Amarillo, Midland-Odessa, Beaumont, Laredo, Tyler, San Angelo, Arlington + the several DFW cities and towns. Hell, Texas is MUCH more urban than anything. I believe we only have less cities than California.

Image: Texas is nothing but dusty, dry, arid desert.
FACT: Piney Woods, Swamps/Bayous, Gulf Coast, Hill Country, Lakes & Plains

Old 07-14-2012, 06:32 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
Most people think all of New Jersey is a ghetto or an oil refinery, but there's parts with beautiful, open countryside.
Hunterdon County for example...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.