U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,523,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Even after all i've been told of New Jersey I still have trouble imagining it as anything other than a horrific extension of Philadelphia.

I suppose many New Jerseyans feel like I do when some people talk about Maryland. Claims that "Maryland is an extension of DC / is a NoVA clone" make me quite annoyed.
Well, that one cracked me up, because the USUAL stereotype is that it's a horrific extension of New York!

There's a similar thread currently in play on the New Jersey forum. One person said that when she was in Houston, she mentioned that she lived near the beach (in NJ) and the Houstonite said in a shocked voice, 'You have BEACHES in New Jersey?" She said he probably imagined beaches with smokestacks in the background or something.

Um yes, folks, New Jersey is sort of KNOWN for its sandy beaches, and people come down from Canada and New England, as well as Pennsylvania, to vacation here. No, no smokestacks in the background, lol. And maybe two or three towns are full of New Yorkers like that stupid TV show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, that one cracked me up, because the USUAL stereotype is that it's a horrific extension of New York!

There's a similar thread currently in play on the New Jersey forum. One person said that when she was in Houston, she mentioned that she lived near the beach (in NJ) and the Houstonite said in a shocked voice, 'You have BEACHES in New Jersey?" She said he probably imagined beaches with smokestacks in the background or something.

Um yes, folks, New Jersey is sort of KNOWN for its sandy beaches, and people come down from Canada and New England, as well as Pennsylvania, to vacation here. No, no smokestacks in the background, lol. And maybe two or three towns are full of New Yorkers like that stupid TV show.
Houstonian....

Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Houstonian....
Hahahaha, OK!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:31 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahahaha, OK!
Yeah, that's the one demonym you CAN'T get wrong in this state.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,610,447 times
Quote:
Houstonian....
Though isn't Houstonite a brand of suitcases made in Houston...

Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Though isn't Houstonite a brand of suitcases made in Houston...
.... no.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:50 PM

723 posts, read 1,397,591 times
South Carolina: The whole state is boring swamp land (what you see on I-95). No. SC has mountainous areas in the Upstate, the Midlands (Columbia area) are very hilly, and the Lowcountry is flat.

On another site: FAKE hospitality (nice to your face and slam you as soon as your back is turned) and full of people stuck in the Civil War (you LOST! hello!! get over it!). South Carolina people are nice where ever they are. And the state has become very diverse.

The only towns in SC are Charleston and Myrtle Beach, and SC is a tourist trap (people who don't go west of Highway 17 in MB or never go out of Charleston historic district): Columbia has a major university, Aiken has great horse farms, Greenville is one of the most progressive cities in the South, and Beaufort is a charming town.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 PM

2,770 posts, read 5,356,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Even after all i've been told of New Jersey I still have trouble imagining it as anything other than a horrific extension of Philadelphia.

I suppose many New Jerseyans feel like I do when some people talk about Maryland. Claims that "Maryland is an extension of DC / is a NoVA clone" make me quite annoyed.
Extension of Philly? Man, that must be South NJ thing. North NJ on the other end of course has NY influence, but also has enough of a population and 'buffer cities' to not be an extension of it (okay, maybe except parts of Hudson county I'll admit).

Old 07-18-2012, 12:00 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,610,447 times
Quote:
.... no.
Nice to see you Forth Worthinites and Dallasanese have a sense of humor...

Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 AM

3,008 posts, read 4,326,484 times
Indiana - Dunes to the North, Prairie in the Central and Hills/Forests in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or