U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Nice to see you Forth Worthinites and Dallasanese have a sense of humor...
I believe they are referred to as Dalites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 AM

274 posts, read 293,484 times
That Alabama is landlocked and is almost entirely flat farmland and woods with a mostly farming or low wage manufacturing economy devoid of any high tech . At least half the state is rolling hills and even rugged mountain areas and Birmingham has more in common topographically and economically with Pittsburgh than they do with other cities in the South. Likewise, Huntsville has more in common economically with Silicon Valley than they do with most other places in the South and was recently voted the 9th smartest city in the WORLD. Alabama also has a significant port in Mobile and one of the more visited beaches on the entire Gulf Coast in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions of Alabama and the Deep South in general though is that it doesn't have 4 seasons and is warm year round. That may be true for most of the Floridia peninsula but north of there throughout most of Texas over to South Carolina has a very distinct winter with several days of sub freezing lows and reasonably chilly days. I always found it odd that a lot of people from around the country assume that because I'm from Alabama I probably had never seen snow when in fact I can barely remember any winters where we haven't at least had snow flying at some point each winter even well down into Alabama not far from the Gulf itself.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:18 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Nice to see you Forth Worthinites and Dallasanese have a sense of humor...
That was supposed to be a joke?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 PM

2,243 posts, read 3,461,106 times
I think probably about 53 percent of Ohio is NOT bats*** crazy about Buckeye football and basketball, so that's technically most of the state.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:35 AM

3,285 posts, read 5,430,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
That Alabama is landlocked and is almost entirely flat farmland and woods with a mostly farming or low wage manufacturing economy devoid of any high tech . At least half the state is rolling hills and even rugged mountain areas and Birmingham has more in common topographically and economically with Pittsburgh than they do with other cities in the South. Likewise, Huntsville has more in common economically with Silicon Valley than they do with most other places in the South and was recently voted the 9th smartest city in the WORLD. Alabama also has a significant port in Mobile and one of the more visited beaches on the entire Gulf Coast in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions of Alabama and the Deep South in general though is that it doesn't have 4 seasons and is warm year round. That may be true for most of the Floridia peninsula but north of there throughout most of Texas over to South Carolina has a very distinct winter with several days of sub freezing lows and reasonably chilly days. I always found it odd that a lot of people from around the country assume that because I'm from Alabama I probably had never seen snow when in fact I can barely remember any winters where we haven't at least had snow flying at some point each winter even well down into Alabama not far from the Gulf itself.
I hate having to explain to people that Alabama isn't exactly what it is perceived to be by the media, maybe politically but not the actual cities/state. One state I cannot seem to shake my negative views on is Mississippi, I've never visited but I just can't find anything interesting about it.

I've noticed that people who aren't city-geeks tend to believe that NC is still a rural, backwoods state when that's simply not the case anymore. Same thing applies to Missouri.

I don't know what people sterotype Maryland about, so input would be welcome.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 AM

582 posts, read 776,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I don't know what people sterotype Maryland about, so input would be welcome.
I have heard that Marylanders are:
"Rednecks completely obsessed with seafood and sailing."
"Well-bred posh rich people completely obsessed with seafood and sailing."
These do seem to be contradictory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or