U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 AM

9,474 posts, read 18,412,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post

Not to bash on Iowa to mention, I was impressed with how green, hilly and beautiful Iowa is.
I agree. Iowa surprised me and it looked different than I had imagined it. It was mostly rolling hills and very beautiful farmland. Nebraska on the other hand was pretty much exactly how I pictured it, mostly flat then rising to high desolate plains in the west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes but it's still MOSTLY mountains, isn't it?
About 35-40% of Colorado in the Eastern part is high plains. When flying into Denver Airport it's very apparent.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 07-07-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 10:10 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,712,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Just about to say that one. Certainly Metro NYC accounts for the vast majority of NY's populace, but geographically, it's probably no more than 15% of the state.
It's actually less than 1% of the state.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:48 AM

17,391 posts, read 19,653,634 times
Delaware is more densely populated than New York, if you can believe it.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,712,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Delaware is more densely populated than New York, if you can believe it.
Than NYC or NYS?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:00 AM

4,285 posts, read 5,517,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Kansas is not nearly as flat at Illinois, southern Michigan, Florida, the Texas coastal plain.

Reference to Montana above, New Mexico is probably more mountainous and less flat than Montana is.

Less than half of Louisiana is Cajun country and bayous. Most of it is just like Mississippi, Arkansas and Texas.
In my experience, Illinois is less flat than Kansas.

I think many people stereotype Illinois and Iowa as being vast corn/soybean fields that dominate the central parts of the state. A lot of people think Illinois has no natural beauty. They forget about the rivers and valleys that give some varied, lush, and green topography for the state. Most people don't even realize that there's a national forest with caves and waterfalls and cypress swamps in southern Illinois.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:51 AM

2,779 posts, read 6,705,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
In my experience, Illinois is less flat than Kansas.

I think many people stereotype Illinois and Iowa as being vast corn/soybean fields that dominate the central parts of the state. A lot of people think Illinois has no natural beauty. They forget about the rivers and valleys that give some varied, lush, and green topography for the state. Most people don't even realize that there's a national forest with caves and waterfalls and cypress swamps in southern Illinois.
Actually I thought that the drive along I-57 from Missouri up through southern Illinois near Carbondale was quite pretty. It's definitely not plains or prairies.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:05 PM

5,574 posts, read 7,012,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Kansas is not nearly as flat at Illinois, southern Michigan, Florida, the Texas coastal plain.

Reference to Montana above, New Mexico is probably more mountainous and less flat than Montana is.

Less than half of Louisiana is Cajun country and bayous. Most of it is just like Mississippi, Arkansas and Texas.

Southern Michigan is not flat. The Irish Hills are 30 minutes southwest of Ann Arbor.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:09 PM

13 posts, read 10,850 times
A lot of people think of Missouri as a redneck, hick racist state.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:19 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,772,920 times

50 State Stereotypes (in 2 minutes) - YouTube

most of this is actually pretty accurate

Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,816,836 times
Iowa being a agarian state- It's population i believe is 60% urban

Texas being rural (some people actually believe this )- There are cities in Texas

New York state is just NYC and suburbs- There are many major cities in new york besides NYC such as Buffalo and Rochester.

The Midwestern states (outside the great lake states)- are flyover country with no interesting landmarks, predominantly rural, no cities- St.Louis, Minneapolis, Des monies, Kansas city, whiticha, Omaha to name a few cities. All these cities are worthy of visiting ESPECIALLY St.Louis and Minneapolis. Outside these cities there is geographical diversity and its not all rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or