Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
New York State isn't one massive city.
New York State's Adirondack Park is the largest state park in the contiguous United States. Larger than the State of Vermont or Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Glacier, and Great Smokey Mts. Park *combined*! Then there's 65,000 acre Allegany State Park, too. In most of the state there's a whole lot of trees and country living.

Adirondack Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Allegany State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Just about to say that one. Certainly Metro NYC accounts for the vast majority of NY's populace, but geographically, it's probably no more than 15% of the state.
Less. Of the entire State of New York, *all* urban areas (1,000 people/sq.mi.) constitute 6-10% of the area of the state. Therefore, just NYC would be a smaller %.

Last edited by James1202; 07-11-2012 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
A stereotype that a lot of upstate New Yorkers tend to perpetuate is that downstate is one big city contiguous with NYC and that there is no rural, forested, or mountainous land downstate.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM

374 posts, read 812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
New York State's Adirondack Park is the largest state park in the contiguous United States. Larger than the State of Vermont or Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Glacier, and Great Smokey Mts. Park *combined*! Then there's 65,000 acre Allegany State Park, too. In most of the state there's a whole lot of trees and country living.

Adirondack Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Allegany State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Man. I really want to go there.
I probably don't even need to mention all of my home state's stereotypes...ha ha.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 PM

313 posts, read 354,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Yeah I believe that. Upstate is really rural.

Its about as rural as any other average state is though.

There are 4 cities upstate with metro populations over 1 million, all about 1-1.5 hours from eachother on average.

Without NYC, NYS is about 8 million people, which would still make it probably the 12th most populous state in the country.

Two significant portions of Upstate are actually mountains. Adirondacks and Catskills.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 PM

313 posts, read 354,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
A stereotype that a lot of upstate New Yorkers tend to perpetuate is that downstate is one big city contiguous with NYC and that there is no rural, forested, or mountainous land downstate.

Not really. A lot of Upstate NYers are transplants from the city. Most people in the state would know the lower Hudson Valley down to the city is pretty rural and moutainous, especially along the river.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
A big stereotype of Washington is rain, beaches, evergreen forests, and mountains. A huge part of it is dry, pine forests, desert, sagebrush, and brown barren hills. A lot of it resembles Nevada, Texas, and Arizona.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Many people think that most of California looks like this:

CA1

When in reality, a much bigger part of the state looks like this:

CA2

LOL, This^^

Yes, there is San Fransisco, and LA. What people don't understand is that you gotta drive through west coast's Indiana to get there. Trust me, I live here, and I don't mind. One day in SF every 6 months is about all I can tolerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
A big stereotype of Washington is rain, beaches, evergreen forests, and mountains. A huge part of it is dry, pine forests, desert, sagebrush, and brown barren hills. A lot of it resembles Nevada, Texas, and Arizona.
I'm guilty of this, thinking Seattle is what Washington is, is like people thinking LA is what California is. If you dropped someone in Hanford,Ca I swear you couldn't guess what state your in.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
Without NYC, NYS is about 8 million people, which would still make it probably the 12th most populous state in the country.
Wow, can you believe that? The entire population of upstate New York is the same as that of New York City!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post

I'm guilty of this, thinking Seattle is what Washington is, is like people thinking LA is what California is. If you dropped someone in Hanford,Ca I swear you couldn't guess what state your in.
Yep, these pictures don't really come to mind when people think of Washington! All within a few hours of Seattle.

There's even wineries!

We have rattlesnakes also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.