U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these northern US cities feels more like a Canadian city?
Seattle 33 35.87%
Portland 2 2.17%
Minneapolis 38 41.30%
Chicago 2 2.17%
Detroit 3 3.26%
Toledo 1 1.09%
Cleveland 1 1.09%
Buffalo 8 8.70%
New York City 1 1.09%
Boston 3 3.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:57 PM

451 posts, read 593,502 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is why I like Minneapolis so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 02:54 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,649,824 times
What exactly is so Canadian about Minneapolis?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:47 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,616,838 times
Seattle is somewhat similar to Vancouver, BC--though Vancouver BC is rather atypical in many ways from a lot of the rest of Canada. There's less of an accent in coastal BC than there is in Ontario or Alberta--and Quebec and the Maritime provinces are a world apart. Though even in Vancouver, hockey is a much bigger part of the culture there than Seattle, where it's appreciated by a portion of the populace, but it's really a tier below football, baseball, basketball, and soccer.

The old Northwest accent--which is really pretty diminished with so many transplants---has never sounded that Canadian to me--there's some traces of the Midwest in someways that older people talk, though if you go to much of the rural areas, it sounds pretty standard Western with even a little bit of Southern accent--sort of a typical country accent.

Seattlelites have never struck as friendly as Canadians either--a little more reserved and polite. I spent four years in Edmonton, Alberta as a kid, and that's a place that has a lot more stereotypical Canadian qualities that were ingrained in my head. Which itself reminds me more of the upper Midwest or northern regions of the Great Lakes more than anywhere else.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Seattle is somewhat similar to Vancouver, BC--though Vancouver BC is rather atypical in many ways from a lot of the rest of Canada. There's less of an accent in coastal BC than there is in Ontario or Alberta--and Quebec and the Maritime provinces are a world apart. Though even in Vancouver, hockey is a much bigger part of the culture there than Seattle, where it's appreciated by a portion of the populace, but it's really a tier below football, baseball, basketball, and soccer.

The old Northwest accent--which is really pretty diminished with so many transplants---has never sounded that Canadian to me--there's some traces of the Midwest in someways that older people talk, though if you go to much of the rural areas, it sounds pretty standard Western with even a little bit of Southern accent--sort of a typical country accent.

Seattlelites have never struck as friendly as Canadians either--a little more reserved and polite. I spent four years in Edmonton, Alberta as a kid, and that's a place that has a lot more stereotypical Canadian qualities that were ingrained in my head. Which itself reminds me more of the upper Midwest or northern regions of the Great Lakes more than anywhere else.
Actually I find the Vancouver accent to be quite 'strong', if by strong you mean it doesn't sound highly influenced by American drawl. It sounds more Canadian to me than the Toronto accent, which is very American influenced among younger speakers and especially among black Canadians. I find the teenagers in Vancouver tend to sound as Canadian as their parents' generation does. Northern Ontario has a much stronger accent than coastal BC or southern Ontario however.

Really, baseball and football are more popular than hockey in Vancouver? I highly doubt it. Vancouver actually seems especially hockey loving even by Canadian standards, like their riots last year.

Agreed about friendliness too, for all the talk of Canadians being reserved and untrusting to strangers, I have found them to be much friendlier than people here in Portland, though maybe they can pick up I am an American somehow and that's why they are friendly to me. Maybe someone in Ohio or Alabama would find Canadians reserved but not me from stone-cold Portland, Oregon.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 AM

786 posts, read 1,603,024 times
^^ Just trying to be helpful - Deezus said:

Though even in Vancouver, hockey is a much bigger part of the culture there than Seattle, where it's appreciated by a portion of the populace, but it's really a tier below football, baseball, basketball, and soccer.

That is to say that in Seattle hockey is a lesser appreciated sport than the others.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,483,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
What major city in the US reminds you most of Canada?

From my observations, looking at northern US cities, this is what I'd say:

Seattle: Not really very Canadian in feel, quite different from Vancouver BC. It actually reminds me a bit of Buffalo, NY only a lot nicer. It feels pretty American, big business, busy freeways, art-deco skyscrapers. The accent sounds somewhat Canadian influenced in some words.

Portland: Feels more Canadian than Seattle, despite being further away from the border, and in some ways a similar culture, but it's not quite dense enough or hockey-loving to truly fit the bill. The accent, like Seattle has some similarities to Canadian.

Minneapolis: Haven't been there, but I imagine that it feels somewhat similar to Vancouver in some ways? The accent has some similarities to Canada and the people love hockey. The weather is also colder than much of Canada.

Chicago: People say it's similar to Toronto, but I just don't see it.

Detroit: Too decrepid to be a Canadian city, though obviously it shares a lot in common with Windsor, which is probably Canada's most American city.

Toledo: Basically a smaller Detroit.

Cleveland: Has pretty much nothing in common with Canada, aside from being cold.

Buffalo: Very strong ties to Canada, as it's literally on the border (like Detroit is), but it feels very different from the part of Ontario it borders.

NYC: Surprisingly similar to Canada in the sense it's very dense, vibrant and multicultural. But obviously it's American through and through.

Boston: A lot of similarities to Montreal and also to the Maritimes, quite liberal politics, but again, too quintessentially American to feel Canadian.
Another poll that requires one to have experience with a lot of places. Hope all 20 or so CD members that can will vote.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:45 AM

60 posts, read 143,550 times
If San Francisco were Canadian, then the NDP would gain more votes from them than Liberals...

Old 07-11-2012, 11:37 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,323,706 times
I think suburban chicago looks like toronto, edmonton, winnipeg etc.
I'm not saying the people or culture are the same but you asked about which one "reminds me of" and the wide multilane grid streets and the large planned residential developments, flat terrain, architectural styles and overall blah-ness of it all looks like the cities in canada that I mentioned. I'd also say for that matter that it looks a great deal like West Palm Beach FL, another treeless blah place with large subdivisions, garage-mahals and multilane flat grid streets.
I'd imagine that BC, Quebec and the maritime provinces are quite a bit different. And obviously the arctic provinces.

As for the people and culture, maybe the states closest to the border (vt, ny, nh etc) regardless of what they look like. Just a guess, I really have no idea.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
^^ Just trying to be helpful - Deezus said:

Though even in Vancouver, hockey is a much bigger part of the culture there than Seattle, where it's appreciated by a portion of the populace, but it's really a tier below football, baseball, basketball, and soccer.

That is to say that in Seattle hockey is a lesser appreciated sport than the others.
Ah yes, I guess I read that wrong. Yeah hockey is like religion throughout Canada.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 PM

11,290 posts, read 7,878,715 times
Toronto and Chicago are often talked about being similar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or