U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these northern US cities feels more like a Canadian city?
Seattle 33 35.87%
Portland 2 2.17%
Minneapolis 38 41.30%
Chicago 2 2.17%
Detroit 3 3.26%
Toledo 1 1.09%
Cleveland 1 1.09%
Buffalo 8 8.70%
New York City 1 1.09%
Boston 3 3.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,649,157 times

Advertisements

What major city in the US reminds you most of Canada?

From my observations, looking at northern US cities, this is what I'd say:

Seattle: Not really very Canadian in feel, quite different from Vancouver BC. It actually reminds me a bit of Buffalo, NY only a lot nicer. It feels pretty American, big business, busy freeways, art-deco skyscrapers. The accent sounds somewhat Canadian influenced in some words.

Portland: Feels more Canadian than Seattle, despite being further away from the border, and in some ways a similar culture, but it's not quite dense enough or hockey-loving to truly fit the bill. The accent, like Seattle has some similarities to Canadian.

Minneapolis: Haven't been there, but I imagine that it feels somewhat similar to Vancouver in some ways? The accent has some similarities to Canada and the people love hockey. The weather is also colder than much of Canada.

Chicago: People say it's similar to Toronto, but I just don't see it.

Detroit: Too decrepid to be a Canadian city, though obviously it shares a lot in common with Windsor, which is probably Canada's most American city.

Toledo: Basically a smaller Detroit.

Cleveland: Has pretty much nothing in common with Canada, aside from being cold.

Buffalo: Very strong ties to Canada, as it's literally on the border (like Detroit is), but it feels very different from the part of Ontario it borders.

NYC: Surprisingly similar to Canada in the sense it's very dense, vibrant and multicultural. But obviously it's American through and through.

Boston: A lot of similarities to Montreal and also to the Maritimes, quite liberal politics, but again, too quintessentially American to feel Canadian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 09:09 AM

9,425 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Seattle: Not really very Canadian in feel, quite different from Vancouver BC. It actually reminds me a bit of Buffalo, NY only a lot nicer. It feels pretty American, big business, busy freeways, art-deco skyscrapers. The accent sounds somewhat Canadian influenced in some words.
Color me confused but New York City feels Canadian and Seattle doesn't? I don't see any parallels at all between Buffalo and Seattle other than they both straddle I-90. Other than that and cloudy skies they have very little if anything in common. Seattle is an economically vibrant city and Buffalo is a forgotten old rust belt city. And nothing in Canada holds a candle to NYC, and all Canadian cities are much cleaner than NYC with a lot more elbow room.

Though Seattle and Vancouver have many differences (Seattle more entrepreneurial and productive with a different city layout) they also have a ton in common. They are both Pacific Rim port cities, both have similar out skirting residential neighborhood styles in the urban/suburban woodlands, both have similar outdoor recreational pursuits (though Vancouver has more palpable winter sports), and both have that environmentally conscious earthy Pacific Northwest vibe about them.

It's hard to sum up an all Canadian vibe as there is much diversity within that country as well. No one city (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, nor Montreal) can really claim the quintessential all Canadian feeling as they are all quite different from each other. Therefore I think it's hard to label a most Canadian like city unless they are within a certain region like Seattle/Vancouver or Buffalo/Hamilton. Montreal & Quebec are in a league of their own with a few similarities to Boston and New England, though I think a better comparison would be Portland, Maine and Halifax, Nova Scotia. I guess Ottawa could be the most Canadian city but I can't think of any American cities like it.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 07-07-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 04:14 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,893,462 times
Detroit and Minneapolis.

The people there both have the (although loosely) Canadian accents and both cities love their hockey.

Then of course snow and cold is simply a routine cultural phenomenon for Detroit and Minneapolis where as for most other places it's considered a nuisance and inconvenience.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:18 PM

451 posts, read 593,382 times
Minneapolis, hands down.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 PM

51 posts, read 131,577 times
Detroit and Seattle.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Minneapolis. The PNW cities in terms of how the people are.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:42 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
In at least one respect, that would have to be Denver. Canada's national obesity rate is 14%, and Colorado is the only US state with an obesity rate that low. Bouilder, Colorado, has the nation's lowest metro obesity rate, with a very Canada-like 12.1

Obesity rate might be a very valid composite of all the lifestyle metrics rolled into one.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:24 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,018,711 times
Minneapolis/St. Paul without question.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:36 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,121,086 times
Minneapolis

Old 07-09-2012, 04:39 PM

116 posts, read 175,445 times
Minneapolis for me. I sometimes wish Minnesota was the eleventh province, our weather, politics, accent, sports and general passive-aggressive politeness fits perfectly into the Great White North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or