Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 AM

27,174 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

It depends upon one's expectation level for service. Someone who has lived in NYC, Chicago or DC for example probably would find most transit systems entirely inadequate. The fact of the matter is one can survive carless in most larger cities if one can discipline themselves to work their schedule around the transit schedule which often times is an every 30 minute occurrence waiting for a bus or train, versus a few minutes in the rare instances mentioned above. I found that living carless in a big city was fine, particularly if one has car-sharing available. Check out Zipcar...which is in many US cities and offers the opportunity to run errands, shop or just to plain get out of town for a few hours/the day. Zipcar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 07:21 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
Portland, Oregon.

But in it, just as any city, where you live, where you work, and how much you want to travel far and wide through the city affect how easy it is to live carless. But I know a lot of people here who manage it just fine.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Probably many, if not most. It will depend on where you live within a city though.
And depending on the city, how much you are willing to do to make it work. In New York, being car free is often the best choice. Some other cities where that might be the case for certain neighborhoods would be Boston, Washington DC, Chicago, Philadelphia, maybe San Francisco. After that, there are several cities where it can be done, but might not be the most obvious choice.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:10 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
Chicago and DC by far after NYC.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:39 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,696 times
Trains seem to be the thing that urbanism geeks go crazy for but from a practical standpoint you can live without a car in any city that has a good bus system and walkable commercial nodes. I lived without a car for five years in Minneapolis, it is very do-able.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,046 times
Chicago and DC.

CHICAGO- CTA, Metra, PACE, great cab service
http://mappery.com/maps/Chicago-Train-Map.jpg

DC- metro map
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-metro-map.png

Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Cab service as referenced above, a great asset

to me NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, DC, SF have it others are all a step below (ore much more limited in the areas where highly present). To me this adds to the walkability factor

FWIW the Philly Transit map

http://www.septa.org/maps/pdf/click-map.pdf

Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,408 times
I've always liked the DC and Philly maps. Since we're posting them, here's a couple Boston maps:

mbta.com

mbta.com

As many of us have said, though you can live without a car in most cities. These maps reflect cities where many can also live without a bus.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 PM

249 posts, read 609,320 times
Outside of a few of the major US cities. America is lacking in mass transit compared to other countries

Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Trains seem to be the thing that urbanism geeks go crazy for but from a practical standpoint you can live without a car in any city that has a good bus system and walkable commercial nodes. I lived without a car for five years in Minneapolis, it is very do-able.
Trains are superior to buses in that they bypass the traffic. Also, it has set stops, so you know exactly when it'll stop (if it's running smoothly). I hate riding a bus when some requests a stop at every block. It's the worst knowing that they're making my commute that much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.