U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,104 times

Advertisements

St. Louis is definitely a city that honks. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 AM

15,031 posts, read 31,400,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yeah. It was going to get ugly in a hurry. I explained to the guy afterwards that a long, sustained horn blast like that in Alabama is the equivalent of giving someone the finger and questioning their parentage. In New York, it's like saying, "Excuse me, but would you mind?"
Very true, the most you'll hear in Alabama is a quick beep, unless it's a serious safety issue like someone pulling out in front of you. If you lay on your horn simply because someone isn't moving fast enough you're asking for trouble. Another "no no" is flashing your lights while trying to pass someone, it's something people here just don't do.

I've been to NYC twice, I must say I don't understand why people there honk so much, it's not like it does any good. They'll honk when there's five cars in front of them, like they expect all five cars to move.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,631,997 times
I always thought everybody honked until I started traveling to the midwest and south for work. I learned this the hard way in both areas and am now more considerate when traveling to these places.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,325,772 times
Atlanta was a non-honking city.
That was until I moved here.
And I moved here from... you guessed it... Myjammy.

Why do I do it? Because green means go. So pull your finger out already and go.
The lights don't stay green forever you know. You may have another 2 minutes to wait for the lights to cycle around again so you can sleep through another one but I don't.

I'm just being courteous. I also appreciate when people do the same to me. I appreciate knowing that a light has turned green if I am staring off into space and not paying attention. I don't want to hold people up or cause a traffic jam.

I also honk at people who block the intersection or pull out in front of me.
Just my way of peacefully trying to educate drivers that they have committed a wrong doing.
And if the horn is broken, watch for finger.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,599,180 times
I think people in Cincinnati are too polite when it comes to honking. I actually sat through a green arrow and not one person honked at me.

I'm not going to get bent out of shape if someone honks at me because I'm not paying attention to the light. Generally I give people a few seconds until I start beeping myself.

I don't lay on my horn unless someone does something like pull out right in front of me, nearly sideswipes me, or foolishly attempts a "Pittsburgh Left".

Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,631,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I don't lay on my horn unless someone does something like pull out right in front of me, nearly sideswipes me, or foolishly attempts a "Pittsburgh Left".
Is that when somebody makes a left hand turn immediately after the light turns green, cutting off the cars in the opposite lane? We call that a Boston left around here.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Very true, the most you'll hear in Alabama is a quick beep, unless it's a serious safety issue like someone pulling out in front of you. If you lay on your horn simply because someone isn't moving fast enough you're asking for trouble. Another "no no" is flashing your lights while trying to pass someone, it's something people here just don't do.

I've been to NYC twice, I must say I don't understand why people there honk so much, it's not like it does any good. They'll honk when there's five cars in front of them, like they expect all five cars to move.
I don't understand this. Would you rather they just pass you on the right?

We have a lot of left lane hogs here in Ohio. If someone is too dumb to move over when they are impeding traffic then I think a quick flash is warranted.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
St. Louis is definitely a city that honks. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Really? Never been honked at and I've never heard people honking. Maybe just when people are pissed off? like a lot of cities.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Is that when somebody makes a left hand turn immediately after the light turns green, cutting off the cars in the opposite lane? We call that a Boston left around here.
Yes. This may work in other cities, but doing a Pittsburgh left here a good way to get t-boned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or