U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,163 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am looking for some help...I've been endlessly searching these forums, Chamber websites and school websites looking for relocation help, and I'm at a loss!

I'm a NYS certified teacher with 4 years experience-but there aren't many teaching jobs here, so I'm looking to relocate to somewhere on the east coast with more job opportunities for teachers-does that exist? My husband is a Correction's Officer-so changing jobs should be fairly easy for him.
In a city (or town) we're looking for the following:

-Safe
-Job opportunities for teachers
-Somewhat affordable (Budgeted $1500 for rent/month)
-Some culture/shopping & restaurants would be nice, and we'd prefer something within driving distance to the ocean
-Family friendly-we are looking to start a family soon

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I've just really been googling any city I've ever heard of on the east coast-but it's exhausting trying to find a place with all of these qualities without an idea of which cities to search. I'll take any ideas & research them further. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 PM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alissavino View Post
Hi! I am looking for some help...I've been endlessly searching these forums, Chamber websites and school websites looking for relocation help, and I'm at a loss!

I'm a NYS certified teacher with 4 years experience-but there aren't many teaching jobs here, so I'm looking to relocate to somewhere on the east coast with more job opportunities for teachers-does that exist? My husband is a Correction's Officer-so changing jobs should be fairly easy for him.
In a city (or town) we're looking for the following:

-Safe
-Job opportunities for teachers
-Somewhat affordable (Budgeted $1500 for rent/month)
-Some culture/shopping & restaurants would be nice, and we'd prefer something within driving distance to the ocean
-Family friendly-we are looking to start a family soon

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I've just really been googling any city I've ever heard of on the east coast-but it's exhausting trying to find a place with all of these qualities without an idea of which cities to search. I'll take any ideas & research them further. Thank you so much!

Unfortunately many states are experiencing cutbacks, which of course usually translates to school funding cuts first in many instances.

Inner city schools have been traditionally the most in need of good teachers given the turnover, so perhaps you might give that some consideration if you're wanting to move someplace else badly enough. The Norfolk-Newport News area in Virginia could be a viable option as it's coastal and would provide the cost of living you're looking for. Other inner city districts in my opinion to consider would be Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA. I wouldn't recommend Florida at all (as I live there) because our freak Governor (Rick Scott) is slicing and dicing the entire State Education budget which means pretty much zero job security should you be lucky enough to find a position. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:10 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,684,334 times
I heard southern states pick up northern teachers quickly at any chance they can get. Perhaps the places Kyle wrote would be good destinations for you to consider.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 PM

56,726 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Another area that may work is Upstate SC(Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, etc). It is a part of that is growing, but look to make sure. Spartanburg Teaching Jobs - Education Jobs in Spartanburg SC Schools

Current Teaching Positions

South Carolina Teaching Jobs - By SC School District

Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 PM

51 posts, read 131,772 times
I've heard that New Jersey is a great state for teachers but I'm not familiar with New Jersey very well.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,684,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPHX View Post
I've heard that New Jersey is a great state for teachers but I'm not familiar with New Jersey very well.
You know, I heard that as well.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,163 times
Thank you!! I hadn't considered New Jersey, I figured they were in the same boat as NY--I'll check into the Southern States as well-thanks!

Old 07-09-2012, 06:59 PM

451 posts, read 593,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPHX View Post

Not with Chris Christie around.

I got my teaching degree there. Its not as great as youd think.

OP - I would try DC/NoVA, SE PA.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:19 PM

56,726 posts, read 81,038,544 times
What kind of teacher are you by the way?

Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Not with Chris Christie around.
Exactly, another budget slasher like Rick Scott who seems intent on killing off public schools for the private school/charter school voucher system which benefits...wait for it....Corporate America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.