U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What western state feels furthest east?
Colorado 22 41.51%
Wyoming 0 0%
Montana 2 3.77%
New Mexico 1 1.89%
Utah 2 3.77%
Other 26 49.06%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:03 PM

339 posts, read 106,357 times

Advertisements

Montana since it goes the furthermost east out of all the mountain states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 12:05 PM

339 posts, read 106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Texas is considered a Western state? That’s news to me.
More like old western, most Texans identify as southerners.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:36 PM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And sometimes "back east" just means. . . back in the eastern part of the US. When I lived in California people called Illinois "back east". Growing up in PA I thought IL was, well, "not east".

I'm shocked that CO is winning the poll (for named states). While some say that the architecture of homes here is rather midwestern, there's really nothing eastern about CO. The lifestyle is different. An example, one year, we had to fly to Pittsburgh on Christmas Day to take care of business back there with my mom. The Pittsburghers thought that was awful; the Coloradans thought it was normal. In point of fact, a lot of them were flying to see their families, etc that day. My bro in Pittsburgh tells me Pittsburghers think of us as "cowboys".
The back east comments you hear in certain western states also demonstrate ignorance from a lot of people. It's a way to say they aren't "one of us."

Not sure what the flight has to do with being east, but I do agree Colorado isn't east at all. To me east means the Eastern Seaboard and New England.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:12 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The back east comments you hear in certain western states also demonstrate ignorance from a lot of people. It's a way to say they aren't "one of us."

Not sure what the flight has to do with being east, but I do agree Colorado isn't east at all. To me east means the Eastern Seaboard and New England.
We were traveling on Christmas Day! Our Pittsburgh friends thought it was just awful that we had to travel on that date. The Coloradans thought nothing of it, some of them were traveling too. It's just a different lifestyle. Back in Pittsburgh, virtually everyone (despite what several will come on here and tell you) has family very close by. Here in CO, only 42% of people were born here; we have families everywhere. We have to travel to see them (or they to see us, but most of them won't do that)!

Old 07-06-2018, 01:22 PM

941 posts, read 413,204 times
I am so glad you even posted this, because I've been waiting for someone to even ask this. I voted Colorado by the way. In the West, the scenery is not comparable to the east coast at all. The scenery is way too different and scenery out West looks nothing like the scenery you get back East. You have the beautiful evergreen forests of the Pacific Northwest and most of the West is a beautiful desert. (IMO, I think it's prettier than scenery back East). BOTH the West and the East have mountains of their own.

I voted Colorado, only because of the climate. Colorado has the typical 4 seasons climate. You have a typical winter, typical spring, typical summer, and typical fall. You have to own a snowblower in Colorado just like how you would in the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic. Otherwise every state in the West is nothing compared to the East in terms of things outside of weather.

I visited Seattle once and I felt the homes were prettier than the homes out East even though they look like the homes out East. My mom was disappointed, because she thought the entire West has Mediterranean houses, which she loves. In the Pacific Northwest, you can't have Mediterranean houses, since the climate gets cold. Mediterranean homes more suit California and Arizona.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:40 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I am so glad you even posted this, because I've been waiting for someone to even ask this. I voted Colorado by the way. In the West, the scenery is not comparable to the east coast at all. The scenery is way too different and scenery out West looks nothing like the scenery you get back East. You have the beautiful evergreen forests of the Pacific Northwest and most of the West is a beautiful desert. (IMO, I think it's prettier than scenery back East). BOTH the West and the East have mountains of their own.

I voted Colorado, only because of the climate. Colorado has the typical 4 seasons climate. You have a typical winter, typical spring, typical summer, and typical fall. You have to own a snowblower in Colorado just like how you would in the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic. Otherwise every state in the West is nothing compared to the East in terms of things outside of weather.

I visited Seattle once and I felt the homes were prettier than the homes out East even though they look like the homes out East. My mom was disappointed, because she thought the entire West has Mediterranean houses, which she loves. In the Pacific Northwest, you can't have Mediterranean houses, since the climate gets cold. Mediterranean homes more suit California and Arizona.
LOL about the typical 4 season climate. In the Denver area, it can be 70 on New Year's Day and 70 on the 4th of July, for the highs. Denver does not have a typical 4 season climate, though it might look that way on paper. You do not "need" a snowblower in Denver. Snowstorms are either a big dump (haven't had one of those for several years now) or just an inch or so. It's really a very dry climate. Now in the mountains, that's a different story.

Here's a typical winter in Denver:
Weeks and weeks of warm dry sunny weather, interspersed with a few cold days. The average daily high in the winter is 53 degrees.
Here are the snow statistics: https://www.weather.gov/bou/snowstat

Typical spring:
What is spring? Snow well into May many years, then the leaves just pop out and it's summer and not going below freezing any more. A few days of hot weather can ruin the peonies.

Typical summer:
Can be hot, can be cool. Usually about 40 days >90 degrees every year, and I believe the stat is about 1 day >100. We've already had that day; it was 105 on June 28. I hope it's the last.

Typical fall:
Usually the nicest season, and the most consistent. Days can get warm, up into the 80s through October; 70s in November and sometimes even December. First freeze usually in October. Halloween has a reputation for snow.

https://weatherspark.com/y/3709/Aver...tes-Year-Round

Old 07-06-2018, 01:50 PM

2,693 posts, read 2,344,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post

Arizona has mostly stucco, adobe and southwestern Spanish style homes. Haven't really seen any Mediterranean styles.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:08 PM

105 posts, read 38,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Montana since it goes the furthermost east out of all the mountain states.
Colorado extends furthest east of all the western states. Kansas Territory, which Colorado was partially carved out of, extended all the way to the Front Range of CO. But progressive leadership knew that CO. had to have a way to feed its people and essentially forced its way east to the 102nd parallel where the land would be suitable for ranching and farming to sustain its growing population. Imagine current day Kansas with the Rockies in its backyard! Worked out swell for Colorado!

Old 07-06-2018, 04:54 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Arizona has mostly stucco, adobe and southwestern Spanish style homes. Haven't really seen any Mediterranean styles.

Stucco and adobe are not styles. Stucco is a material used to coat the exterior of buildings. Adobe is a type of air dried brick.

"Spanish style" is a Mediterranean style.

Mediteranean Revival is one of the dominant architectural styles in Arizona, California, and other western states as well as parts of the eastern US as well.

Mediterranean Revival Architecture in Arizona

Old 07-06-2018, 05:24 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Does Texas count? It goes just as far west as most of the other western states and it also goes at least as far east as Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or