U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do Midwesterners seem more like?
Northeasterners 90 56.60%
Southerners 69 43.40%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,465,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I think there's more than just a lower and upper Midwest, I think you could reasonably divide it into as many as four distinct sections. The problem is they don't align well with state lines.
First of all, you have the Great Plains, which would be Kansas, Nebraska, the eastern half of the Dakotas, and bits of western Minnesota and Iowa. This area is probably most influenced by the West and also by Texas and Oklahoma. The western Dakotas are pretty much full-blown Western to my mind.

Then there's the Upper Midwest, which I'd define as most of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa, as well as Michigan's UP and northern Illinois. This area is most influenced by central Canada (Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, maybe Alberta) and Europe (Germany and Scandinavia, with flairs of eastern Europe here and there).

And the Lower Midwest, which would include Missouri, extreme southern Iowa, southern Illinois and Indiana, and maybe even as far east as Cincinnati. This has reasonable influence from the northern parts of the Southeast (Kentucky, Arkansas, maybe Tennessee).

And then you've got the rest of the Midwest - northern Indiana, parts of Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio, which are all probably most culturally similar to the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

That's my take, anyway.

I believe most of Michigan is upper midwest, except the metro Detroit area which fits in better with Ohio and Indiana. Metro Detroit is different from the rest of Mi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 29,575 times
I think Midwesterners have generally thought of themselves as Northerners in the past, not that different from people in the Northeast. Especially major cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, and Milwaukee were much more like New England than the South. However, over the last 50 years the industrial Midwest has stagnated economically resulting in brain drain and a lack of immigration. Unlike the cities in the South and West which have been booming since the 70s, and cities in the Northeast which are magnets for immigrants and intellectuals, the Midwest is still very white and much older. I would say that today the Midwest is more like the South because it is more conservative and considered fly-over country by people on the coasts. Many blue collar workers and people who live in the country listen to country music, support gun rights, and are evangelical Christians.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 28 days ago)

9,838 posts, read 21,144,826 times
There is a difference btw Midwesterners with urban ethnic roots vs those with a rural & more diverse ethnic background.

A good contrast near me: Southern Indiana vs Cincinnati. The 'Nati is mostly composed of people with German Catholic ancestors who moved from urban cities in Germany. People there maintain close ethnic ties, with German food and even some schools that teach all students German.

Southern Indiana was settled by mixed groups of Caucasian people ( Scotch Irish, German, English, etc) who had settled on the frontier in the Carolinas and then settled the frontier of the Ohio Valley when the region was taken from the Indians. By the time they arrived in S Indiana they had already shed their ethnic roots and become part of the new American melting pot.

What's interesting is how you can still see the settlement pattern by religious affiliation. While German Catholic Indianapolis is (obviously) heavily Catholic, there are many counties in Southern Indiana (and S Illinois) where there are ZERO Catholic churches.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:48 PM

494 posts, read 673,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I believe most of Michigan is upper midwest, except the metro Detroit area which fits in better with Ohio and Indiana. Metro Detroit is different from the rest of Mi.
I can agree with this as well. One thing for sure is people here don't tend to have that uppity and or nasty attitude like you find so prominent in the NE especially the Middle Atlantic states and thus MD/DE/PA/DC/N.VA/NJ. In this regard this area ( even down into Ohio where i lived for a few years ) is more like the south. Ofcourse many from the deep south ( especially blacks ) moved up this way as well back in the early part of the last century thanks in part to the manufacturing boom. I imagine that has a bit to do with it. Many i know with relatives from the south. Was kinda blown away as i had not expected it on the level it is. I suppose in the big city's ( Detroit/Chicago etc ) it could be different?

Old 07-04-2013, 07:10 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,570,477 times
More like northeasterns... though really the only ones I know have lived in Chicago and Cleveland, and most I've met in Chicago are generally from Wisconsin/Michigan more than anywhere else in general... I would imagine Missouri and Kansas are more like Southerners.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:19 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,545,592 times
Default Northeasterners

Being from the Midwest, Midwesterners are uniquely Midwestern. Just a fine region of the country. There is far more commonality with the Northeast than the South, and this is evident with each and every election.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:32 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,055,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckguy99 View Post
I think Midwesterners have generally thought of themselves as Northerners in the past, not that different from people in the Northeast. Especially major cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, and Milwaukee were much more like New England than the South. However, over the last 50 years the industrial Midwest has stagnated economically resulting in brain drain and a lack of immigration. Unlike the cities in the South and West which have been booming since the 70s, and cities in the Northeast which are magnets for immigrants and intellectuals, the Midwest is still very white and much older. I would say that today the Midwest is more like the South because it is more conservative and considered fly-over country by people on the coasts. Many blue collar workers and people who live in the country listen to country music, support gun rights, and are evangelical Christians.
You are not describing the Midwest, but the industrial rust belt. Of the ten states with the lowest unemployment four of them are in the Midwest. Minneapolis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Omaha, Madison and Des Moines are all healthy growing cities and are becoming more cosmopolitan, not less. The plains in general are doing very well, smaller cities like Fargo, Bismarck, Sioux Falls and Lincoln are prospering. People on the coasts are less aware that this is happening because these places are not on their radar, they are more focused on places like Cleveland and Detroit. In reality there are two Midwests in economic terms, one is as you said while the other is not.

Here is a list of Midwestern states by unemployment rate and where they rank among states in general. It is apparent that the western half of the region is doing much better than the eastern half, perhaps this is why people on the east coast think the Midwest and the rust belt are the same thing:

1. North Dakota 3.2%
2. Nebraska 3.8%
3. South Dakota 4.0%
5. Iowa 4.6%
10. Minnesota 5.3%
14. Kansas 5.7%
22. Missouri 6.8%
28. Ohio 7.0%
28. Wisconsin 7.0%
40. Indiana 8.3%
43. Michigan 8.4%
49. Illinois 9.1%

Last edited by Drewcifer; 07-05-2013 at 01:45 AM..

Old 07-05-2013, 03:02 PM

280 posts, read 563,962 times
In general, unless you're in a major city on or near the Great Lakes, or in a Big Ten town; the Midwest has far more in common with the south (Bible-hugging, gun-toting, country music, etc.)

Old 07-05-2013, 04:42 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,150,163 times
I'm new to the Midwest, having recently moved to Kansas from the Atlanta metro. Kansans don't strike me as particularly southern or northeastern. They are definitely less exuberantly friendly than Georgians, but they're not edgy like northeasterners either. I travelled to Michigan last week (the western part) and was surprised by how similar many of the people seemed to northeasterners despite how rural the area is.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:00 PM

591 posts, read 639,166 times
Generally speaking, most Midwesterners are truly pleasant people, but more importantly, they're genuine.

Southerners are polite and friendly, but they're not very nice and genuine. Suburban Southern yuppies make me sick to my stomach.

Northeasterners are borderline unpleasant most of the time, but they're just as genuine as Midwesterners once you scratch the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or