Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do Midwesterners seem more like?
Northeasterners 145 59.18%
Southerners 100 40.82%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 PM

494 posts, read 804,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
You are not describing the Midwest, but the industrial rust belt. Of the ten states with the lowest unemployment four of them are in the Midwest. Minneapolis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Omaha, Madison and Des Moines are all healthy growing cities and are becoming more cosmopolitan, not less. The plains in general are doing very well, smaller cities like Fargo, Bismarck, Sioux Falls and Lincoln are prospering. People on the coasts are less aware that this is happening because these places are not on their radar, they are more focused on places like Cleveland and Detroit. In reality there are two Midwests in economic terms, one is as you said while the other is not.

Here is a list of Midwestern states by unemployment rate and where they rank among states in general. It is apparent that the western half of the region is doing much better than the eastern half, perhaps this is why people on the east coast think the Midwest and the rust belt are the same thing:

1. North Dakota 3.2%
2. Nebraska 3.8%
3. South Dakota 4.0%
5. Iowa 4.6%
10. Minnesota 5.3%
14. Kansas 5.7%
22. Missouri 6.8%
28. Ohio 7.0%
28. Wisconsin 7.0%
40. Indiana 8.3%
43. Michigan 8.4%
49. Illinois 9.1%
And that is a bit misleading as well. Better to show the trend lines over the past few years. Get a much better picture.

I'll use Michigan for one such example.

Experts Rank Michigan 8th Most Competitive State For Economic Development « CBS Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,711 times
Michigan has only recently become more competitive for businesses. They had to. Their rules and policies took them out of competition for decades. The state is making me very happy, I want Michigan to do well, and I believe they have set themselves for not only a turnaround but for long term success.

Congratulations on your state's competitive nature and willingness to succeed.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 PM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Michigan has only recently become more competitive for businesses. They had to. Their rules and policies took them out of competition for decades. The state is making me very happy, I want Michigan to do well, and I believe they have set themselves for not only a turnaround but for long term success.

Congratulations on your state's competitive nature and willingness to succeed.

Thanks and i agree. That all will depend on the voters as you know so yeah. We'll see.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 AM

5 posts, read 6,681 times
just to say states like illinois, wisconsin, ohio, massachusets and such took tons of african americans from the deep south in the 1900s and even the 1800s called the great migration if youre wondering about accents, which i also attribute to much of the crime in those states no offense to the south as im a southerner

Old 07-21-2013, 06:23 PM

591 posts, read 820,172 times
Let's get something straight: Midwesterners > Northeasterners > Southerners.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
the Great Lakes region has more in common with the Northeast. the Great Plains has more in common with the south.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:26 AM

798 posts, read 1,033,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Let's get something straight: Midwesterners > Northeasterners > Southerners.
Wth? Clearly you've never been to ATL or Florida or Dallas or Houston or New Orleans or...(you get where I'm going with this).

Idk why anyone is better than anyone. There are a few outspoken people from each region that keep making everyone else look bad, just like every other demographic. Everyone I know down here has no problem with Northeasterners or Midwesterners. Everybody I know has a problem with a complainer, no matter where they are from.

Midwesterners = Northeasterners = Southerners. Oh and I gotta keep the stereotype going: Texas > rest of USA

Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 PM

260 posts, read 586,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'd say Northeast. I have an easier time relating to someone from New York than I do from Richmond. There are definitely less cultural differences between the Northeast and Midwest than the Midwest and south.
Depends. Outside of Stl I don't see Missouri having a lot in common with New York.

Religion, politics, culture are totally different than New York.

New York the state overall is liberal, and they do not have the Baptist or Protestants like Missouri has.

Also the southern half of Missouri has more in common with the south than New York since it's either the transition zone or the southern quarter which is Dixie.

As for the northern half of MO outside of Stl and KC its still conservative and still has a noticeable amount of protestants.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
I think the Midwest has it's own distinct personality. Gun to my head I'd say Northeasterners.

That's coming from a former Midwesterner from the Great Lakes region. I'm sure more southern Midwesterners would havd a different opinion.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Out of all the Midwestern states, I think Ohio is the one that stands out as being very different, even from the other Midwestern states.
Exactly. Ohio is the on the border between midwest, south, and east coast. Therefore many of the cities, and transplants, especially in the urban areas come from the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.