U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do Midwesterners seem more like?
Northeasterners 90 56.60%
Southerners 69 43.40%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times

Advertisements

Would you say Midwesterners are more like those in the Northeast (Mid-Atlantic and New England) or the census-defined South, excluding Maryland, NOVA, Southern Florida, NOLA...etc in terms of their character, overall personality, values, history.etc?

I know of course individuals are individuals but speaking in generalizations.

I think one can break it down into states:

Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana more like the South

Ohio, Wisconsin, urban parts of Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota more like the Northeast

Overall, Midwesterners tend to lean more to the South IMO, even in Chicago, especially with it's black influence. White Chicagoans don't actually strike me as all that similar to those in NY/Philly except maybe Both Midwesterners and Southerners tend to be somewhat conservative: even in the 'blue' states it's largely because of blacks voting Democrats, who are still pretty conservative.the Italians.etc. They live a more relaxed, personal, less business-orientated, small-town pace of life, are bigger on family values, traditions like celebrating Thanksgiving/Halloween, not to say the NE doesn't, but the NE feels more transient. The Midwest is probably the LEAST transient region now, since a lot of people are streaming into the South. In terms of similarities with the NE, I guess Midwesterners are more private about religion, Upper Midwesterners are reserved but polite like New Englanders.

Demographically, the Midwest is probably a bit more like the NE, having more recent immigration.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,204,339 times
Actually, the culture of the Midwest as a whole is more related to the Northeast than the South because Northeasterners settled the area first. Then, there was heavy German immigration after that. I think the Midwest may have been more like the Northeast historically, but then developed its own distinct culture with the arrival of European immigrants.

In the Midwest, folks tend to be more community-oriented than in the South. So, institutions like museums, libraries, etc have more emphasis even in the smaller cities, similar to the Northeast.

Only the extreme southern tier is more Southern in culture.

Last edited by Colts; 07-10-2012 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 11:37 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,167,338 times
why don't you come see for yourself

BTW Someone from nebraska or Kansas will more than likely have a totally different aura to themselves than someone from Cleveland or Chicago.

Actually people from the Cleveland and Chicago have more in common with someone from Buffalo NY or Pittsburgh

Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 AM

229 posts, read 388,635 times
I think more like Midwesterners

Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 AM

48 posts, read 58,962 times
It's a mixture of both.

The upper midwest/great lakes region have that northeastern vibe. The rest of the midwest southernmost areas like southern Illinois, Ozark areas of Missouri, and etc have that southern vibe.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:40 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,828,629 times
Depends on where in the midwest as above poster stated so well. But, maybe overall a midwestern vibe feels like a "subdued" Northerner. Or a "boisterous" Southerner.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:53 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,479,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post

BTW Someone from nebraska or Kansas will more than likely have a totally different aura to themselves than someone from Cleveland or Chicago.

Actually people from the Cleveland and Chicago have more in common with someone from Buffalo NY or Pittsburgh
Once one starts referring to urban populations within these areas then the conversation changes to strictly urban attitudes vs rural attitudes (a whole thread in itself).

Also, comparing people from Nebraska or Kansas to those from Cleveland or Chicago is illogical and best left to Californians.

Last edited by James1202; 07-11-2012 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: add text.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:58 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,479,562 times
If forced, I'd have to say those of the Midwest tend to be like those of the Northeast politically, spiritually, and educationally but like those of the South socially.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:27 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times
I'd say Northeast. I have an easier time relating to someone from New York than I do from Richmond. There are definitely less cultural differences between the Northeast and Midwest than the Midwest and south.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post

By technicality, many people consider Buffalo and Pittsburgh the Midwest, and rightfully so. IMO, both of these cities have far more in common with the Midwest than the BosWash corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or