Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best city to live when you factor weather and cost of living?
Los Angeles 6 6.12%
San Diego 12 12.24%
Seattle 9 9.18%
San Francisco 6 6.12%
Phoenix 21 21.43%
Dallas 6 6.12%
Charlotte 14 14.29%
Atlanta 8 8.16%
Miami 6 6.12%
Chicago 7 7.14%
New York City 3 3.06%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:36 PM

74 posts, read 144,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
I don't support selling it. I support people moving to the areas and building better housing for large numbers. If you want the water, come here. The transportation costs and environment effects would be great. I do worry that they will look towards selling the water which is short-sighted.

I like the idea of desalinization. I know that it is expensive, but no real money has been put into it. If the government cared about it half as much as they did oil then the water problem could be almost non-existant.

Even here in the Chicago area (and I'm sure across the United States) you can only water on certain days. I'm glad Tuscon tickets for broken sprinklers, but I agree that in these places they should not allow grass yards, golf courses, or the like. It requires too much water when it evaporates so quickly. Yards should either be fake grass, rocks, or something else.
I dont see AZ banning golf courses, its too much of a golf hub. Besides for golf courses and public parks recycled sewage water is used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
I don't support selling it. I support people moving to the areas and building better housing for large numbers. If you want the water, come here. The transportation costs and environment effects would be great. I do worry that they will look towards selling the water which is short-sighted.

I like the idea of desalinization. I know that it is expensive, but no real money has been put into it. If the government cared about it half as much as they did oil then the water problem could be almost non-existant.

Even here in the Chicago area (and I'm sure across the United States) you can only water on certain days. I'm glad Tuscon tickets for broken sprinklers, but I agree that in these places they should not allow grass yards, golf courses, or the like. It requires too much water when it evaporates so quickly. Yards should either be fake grass, rocks, or something else.
Funny thing is, you can water on any day in PHX, there's no rules on that.

As far as sustainability, I guess I'll pull out the cheesy "agree to disagree". Saying people should just move from their hometown, the only place things seem normal, is a stretch. It's an emotional issue. We get people telling us our hometown shouldn't exist all the time. It only serves to strengthen the PHX pride. That's about level with asking Cubs fans to root for St. Louis.

Speaking of which, the amount of Cubs fans in AZ is kinda ridiculous. I don't go to Diamondbacks games when the Chubs come because it makes me too mad to be outnumbered in our own ballpark. I would say a third of the PHX metro is from Illinois or neighboring states, and they keep coming in droves.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:23 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
I'm in central Texas. I think Dallas has some of the worst weather.... super hot summers, cold winters (compared to further south in Texas), tornado and hail threats. Not much different than Oklahoma, which has a bad climate as well IMO.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Funny thing is, you can water on any day in PHX, there's no rules on that.

As far as sustainability, I guess I'll pull out the cheesy "agree to disagree". Saying people should just move from their hometown, the only place things seem normal, is a stretch. It's an emotional issue. We get people telling us our hometown shouldn't exist all the time. It only serves to strengthen the PHX pride. That's about level with asking Cubs fans to root for St. Louis.

Speaking of which, the amount of Cubs fans in AZ is kinda ridiculous. I don't go to Diamondbacks games when the Chubs come because it makes me too mad to be outnumbered in our own ballpark. I would say a third of the PHX metro is from Illinois or neighboring states, and they keep coming in droves.
Yeah seriously the Cubs fans come down for spring training and never go back... although I don't have an issue with Cubs fans because the Dbacks, even though a newer franchise, have actually won a world series in this century. haha

Old 07-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I'm in central Texas. I think Dallas has some of the worst weather.... super hot summers, cold winters (compared to further south in Texas), tornado and hail threats. Not much different than Oklahoma, which has a bad climate as well IMO.
I hear Austin and San Antonio have solid climates though right?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazyo View Post
I hear Austin and San Antonio have solid climates though right?
Austin, SA, and Houston.... though still hot as heck, have better winters than DFW, not as much tornado/hail threat, and also more humidity/rain so are greener.

There was a map of natural disaster threat or something along that line that someone posted a month or two back.... I believe Dallas ranked at the worst of cities on the map.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Austin, SA, and Houston.... though still hot as heck, have better winters than DFW, not as much tornado/hail threat, and also more humidity/rain so are greener.

There was a map of natural disaster threat or something along that line that someone posted a month or two back.... I believe Dallas ranked at the worst of cities on the map.
I know a few people here in Phoenix who lived in Houston, they all say the summers in Houston were more uncomfortable... Austin is a little better due to being up in the hill country correct? I've been wanting to check out that area, I hear a lot of good things. The only part of Texas I've been in is El Paso

Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
I guess if we get really bored, we can talk about the weather....

Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM

152 posts, read 298,590 times
Its too bad San Diego is so pricey, thats the only thing keeping it from perfection!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Atlanta. It's only reallly hot in July and August. Winters are mild and generally we receive no snow (maybe 2 inches per year if we are lucky)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.