U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What state is more scenic, PA or CO?
Pennsylvania 27 36.00%
Colorado 48 64.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:27 PM

1,520 posts, read 3,711,532 times
DEFINITION: Scenic (adj.) -- Constituting or affording pleasing views of natural features.

Almost seems like a trick question...

If you were in the business of marketing a coffee table photography book with the goal of selling the most copies nationwide and you could choose to pack the book full of Colorado photos or Pennsylvania photos...and your life depended on you outselling your "rival" whose book would feature the photos from the other state...you would choose Colorado 100 times out of 100.

I'm not dissing Pennsylvania. It has some very pretty places. But come on...when you say the word scenic, places like Colorado immediately spring to mind for most people. Not PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 07:10 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,203,332 times
Default Wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reztrop View Post
Which state is more scenic in your experience, Pennsylvania or Colorado?
Why would you even ask this question? PA is pretty, yes, but Colorado was the Rockies. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Compare PA to Georgia, or Alabama, or something similar. Compare Colorado with Arizona, Northern California, Seattle, but WTF -- PA to CO?

I've been to both. They are so completely different this question is too crazy to be answered!

Old 09-30-2007, 07:20 PM

812 posts, read 894,418 times
John Denver sings about colorado thats good enough for me Colorado

Old 09-30-2007, 09:10 PM

2,249 posts, read 3,873,816 times
I think Colorado wins this one. Sure Pennsylvania has rolling hills, but then again most states do.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 AM

18,533 posts, read 48,397,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I think Colorado wins this one. Sure Pennsylvania has rolling hills, but then again most states do.
PA has more than just "rolling hills".

http://www.havepower.com/Applications/Primary_and_/River.jpg (broken link)

http://www.waterscapesphotography.co...dgemntsbig.jpg

http://www.mountain-fall-foliage-vac...3880-625wt.jpg

http://www.granthomebuilder.com/images/mountains600.jpg

Once again Id like to say that PA and CO cannot nor should not be compared, it just isnt fair to either state. PA and CO both offer dynamic scenery, but on different levels.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,118,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I told myself that I'd refrain from these competitive and repetitive "which one is bigger/better/nicer" threads on the General U.S. forum, so my answer would be to vote for both if I had the opportunity to do so.
And I commend your efforts. You're a very intelligent man. Now all we have to do is get rid of all the trolls.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:32 PM

67,303 posts, read 54,882,833 times
Two different kinds of beauty. Can't vote.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:25 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,803,483 times
As a native Pennsylvanian, I'm inclined to be biased, but like others have said -- they are two very different states with very different scenery. I visited Colorado this past summer, and the views of the Rockies that I saw were breathtaking. The whole interior West seems to have a monopoly on breathtaking natural grandeur. Nevertheless, there is definitely something to appreciate when traveling through the Appalachians in Pennsylvania, especially in the Fall. So, I can't decide, as each has their own unique versions of beauty.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:39 PM

3,898 posts, read 8,047,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Colorado is unquestionably more scenic than Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania doesn't have anything comparable to the Rockies or Glenwood Canyon. One could probably answer this question by just taking a drive on all of I-70 all the way from Utah to Maryland (making sure to stop in Denver, Topeka, Kansas City, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, and Pittsburgh) You see the mountains of both Colorado and Pennsylvania from I-70. Both states are beautiful.

Not so fast my friend.

Try to envision the 2 states in their entirety.

Eastern Colorado looks like the end of the earth. Thats 50,000 sq. miles of nothingness. Tumbleweeds, maybe a strat wild buffalo. Eastern Colorado might be the most unimpressive blase' 50,000 sq.miles in this entire country.

Now Pennsylvania in its totality is only 45,000 sq.miles. Of which
There isn't 1 acre of Pennsylvania that isn't pleasing to the eye. Its an incredibly gifted state concerning natural beauty.

Try to think of it in terms of a prom date. Yeah its great to take a girl with just ok looks with enormous cans in which you can cop a feel with while dancing to a really bad Journey song.However you'll get more respect from the crew by taking the prettier, better proportioned, well balanced cutie.

If the eastern state line of Colorado started in Denver, you got yourself the best state in the country. Unfortunately its starts 175 miles east of Denver and that has to be part of the equation.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:53 PM

322 posts, read 2,126 times
Colorado was very breathtaking for me, because I came from PA and wasn't use to it. However, there is nothing like a rugged hardwood forest like Tussy Mountain outside of State College in Colorado. Neither is there a Mnt. Of the Holy Cross to hike in PA. It is just to different of a comparison, it can't be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.