U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is more scenic, PA or CO?
Pennsylvania 27 36.00%
Colorado 48 64.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:21 PM

58 posts, read 174,651 times

Advertisements

Which state is more scenic in your experience, Pennsylvania or Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 12:34 PM

30,230 posts, read 67,379,434 times
I told myself that I'd refrain from these competitive and repetitive "which one is bigger/better/nicer" threads on the General U.S. forum, so my answer would be to vote for both if I had the opportunity to do so.

Colorado has some wonderful skiing opportunities and some high craggy mountain peaks that permit you to experience panoramic views. Pennsylvania's moutains are more like large, rolling, green hills, but the deciduous nature of their flora tends to make them more attractive in the Fall season (I'll have to post some photos on here when I go out to do a foliage photo shoot in the Endless Mountains next week).

Pennsylvania has a lot of very polluted waterways due to our states urban/suburban areas and industrial heritage while Colorado's waterways still are largely-unspoiled. Pennsylvania is home to older cities that offer a unique blend of historic 1700s-era brick rowhomes set against modern glass skyscrapers while Colorado has relatively-newer cities where "historic" might equate to something from the 1930s. Colorado has some of the most beautiful winter images of coniferous trees lined with fresh, white snow while Pennsylvania has some of the most beautiful winter images of barren deciduous trees likewise coated in the white stuff. Pennsylvania and Colorado each have tremendous problems in dealing with urban sprawl; one could infer that the elected officials of each state have no clue on what benefit urban growth boundaries could do to help revitalize established neighborhoods as well as preserve open space for generations to come.

Colorado is home to great recreational areas such as Rocky Mountain National Park near Estes Park, Great Sand Dunes National Park near Alamosa, Mesa Verde National Park near Cortez, and Dinosaur National Monument in Moffat County. Pennsylvania is home to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon near Wellsboro, the Delaware Water Gap National Recreational Area in the Poconos, Presque Isle State Park in Erie, the Allegheny National Forest, and many others. In my opinion Pennsylvania has the edge in terms of "heritage" and "history" (think Philadelphia, Gettysburg, Scranton, etc.), but Colorado has the edge in terms of natural preservation (there seems to be less sprawl in Colorado, with the exception of Greater Denver).

There's really no right or wrong answer to this poll. I voted for Pennsylvania just to defend it as my home turf, as I know most others on here will automatically vote for Colorado. It was basically just a "pity vote," as I'd honestly vote for both states if I could.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:50 PM

58 posts, read 174,651 times
I never been to Colorado, so I can't vote on this one. But I heard a lot of comments about it being the most beautiful state in the country. Of course that's highly subjective, as is any "which one is bigger/better" thread.

That being said, I have to say that Pennsylvania is a very beautiful state overall. The bad news is that PA's open spaces are rapidly disappearing to suburban sprawl, acres and acres of farmland being paved over for strip malls by developers like Toll Brothers.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:30 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,664,003 times
For me, Colorado hands-down.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:36 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,578,414 times
Colorado has more grandeur in its scenery.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:09 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,328,897 times
I've been to borth states, and imo, pennsylvania is more scenic. Especially comparted to the eastern half of colorado. colorado has some big andpretty nice mountains, but they're just not as beautiful to me as the ones in PA. thats just my opinion

Old 09-30-2007, 02:09 PM

30,230 posts, read 67,379,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reztrop View Post
The bad news is that PA's open spaces are rapidly disappearing to suburban sprawl, acres and acres of farmland being paved over for strip malls by developers like Toll Brothers.
Agreed. The suburbs of Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Lehigh Valley, Lancaster County, York County, Greater Harrisburg, Monroe County, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre are amongst the best examples of urban sprawl gone haywire. These areas are sprawling so much now that their core cities are ALL declining in terms of population while their open space is being developed at an alarming rate. Do we really need a Wal-Mart in every town in the Commonwealth?

Old 09-30-2007, 02:25 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,471,054 times
This is going to sound funny. I absolutely hate Colorado. but for other reasons. i've been to both and I feel that Colorado is much more scenic then Penn could ever be. Hands down, Colorado.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:01 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,439,584 times
Both are equally beautiful, but in different ways. Its really hard to compare the two. It should be PA vs VT and CO vs MT. Now if you were talking about food/cities/etc, Id definitely go PA. Scenery? Its not fair for either to be pitted against each other.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:39 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times
Colorado is unquestionably more scenic than Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania doesn't have anything comparable to the Rockies or Glenwood Canyon. One could probably answer this question by just taking a drive on all of I-70 all the way from Utah to Maryland (making sure to stop in Denver, Topeka, Kansas City, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, and Pittsburgh) You see the mountains of both Colorado and Pennsylvania from I-70. Both states are beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or