U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:24 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,056,723 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if anyone had already brought this up. But according to the BEA, they have updated estimates for 2011 GDP for the states. I'm pretty sure this means that the estimates we have for many of the metro GDP figures will change.

BEA News Release (GDP by State)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,354,733 times
GDP is a moronic stat that includes generally unproductive gvt spending, lots of malinvestment and lots of levered malconsumption

And in a globalized, virtualized world, really hard to calc GDP of many of world's most profitable cos. like AAPL, MSFT, etc where components are from all over Asia/US, assembled in China, end-products heavily sold in US (lots of buyers at NYC stores are tourists from Asia/EU) and most of wealthiest employees and investors of these valuable cos. reside in SV or BH or NYC region, not in RoW...and often 70% of cash of these immensely profitable US-hq'd cos. is parked outside US in various complex, fully legal tax strategies....so where is GDP allegedly created for these most valuable entities and most wealthy owners???

GDP is arguably a Luddite stat for those lacking common sense of where productivity is derived, where smart young engineers/entrepreneurs go to pursue wealth, and where the big money flows to reward any alleged productivity or ownership....and where the world's wealthiest seem to choose to actually live/work on a daily basis, no matter complex tax strategies

Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 AM

32,392 posts, read 55,223,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
GDP is a moronic stat that includes generally unproductive gvt spending, lots of malinvestment and lots of levered malconsumption

And in a globalized, virtualized world, really hard to calc GDP of many of world's most profitable cos. like AAPL, MSFT, etc where components are from all over Asia/US, assembled in China, end-products heavily sold in US (lots of buyers at NYC stores are tourists from Asia/EU) and most of wealthiest employees and investors of these valuable cos. reside in SV or BH or NYC region, not in RoW...and often 70% of cash of these immensely profitable US-hq'd cos. is parked outside US in various complex, fully legal tax strategies....so where is GDP allegedly created for these most valuable entities and most wealthy owners???

GDP is arguably a Luddite stat for those lacking common sense of where productivity is derived, where smart young engineers/entrepreneurs go to pursue wealth, and where the big money flows to reward any alleged productivity or ownership....and where the world's wealthiest seem to choose to actually live/work on a daily basis, no matter complex tax strategies
and so therefore what?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:25 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
and so therefore what?
another opportunity to use Luddite in a post I believe

Old 07-13-2012, 10:27 AM

32,392 posts, read 55,223,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
another opportunity to use Luddite in a post I believe
+1

That was actually my exact thought. lol

Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post

While no one stat tells it all, I think GDP is still a way to measure the size of a localized economy. It may have it's flaws but of you understand what GDP is you know and appreciate it as a stat but also know what it measures and it's limitations.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 PM

I can't help but drop my jaw at California. It's nearly at 2 trillion dollars. That is amazing.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:08 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,907,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
+1

That was actually my exact thought. lol
I had to go back and find the Luddite part, because at first I said to myself "tl;wr."

I figured the guy was just bitter that mostly blue/liberal states have the largest GDP.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 PM

4,270 posts, read 5,493,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I had to go back and find the Luddite part, because at first I said to myself "tl;wr."

I figured the guy was just bitter that mostly blue/liberal states have the largest GDP.
Well, to be fair "blue" doesn't necessarily equate to "liberal"...but the "blue" states have the lion's share of the highest GDP. Of the top 10 states with the highest GDP from the 2010 data, with political determination based on presidential elections:

Consistently "blue":

#1) California ($1.94 t USD)
#3) New York ($1.21 t USD)
#5) Illinois ($0.64 t USD)
#6) Pennsylvania ($0.56 t USD)
#7) New Jersey ($0.50 t USD)

Total "blue": $4.85 trillion USD, or ~ 33% of the total US GDP

Consistently "red":

#2) Texas ($1.21 t USD)
#4) Florida ($0.75 t USD)
#9) Virginia ($0.43 t USD)
#10) North Carolina ($0.41 t USD)

Total "red": $2.8 trillion USD, or ~ 19% of the total US GDP

Considered "swing":

#8) Ohio ($0.48 t USD, ~ 3% of the total US GDP)

Old 07-14-2012, 07:59 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,907,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Well, to be fair "blue" doesn't necessarily equate to "liberal"
Oh I know that, which I why I put the slash there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or