U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 PM

45,140 posts, read 36,338,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
Are we talking the majority?

Upstate NY and New England is hippie ground zero.

There are a ton of yuppies in Seattle, Portland, and SF too. Thats the counter balance to NYC, Boston and DC. Id say Philly is more hipster.
I was speaking very generally. An overall view, rather than just little pockets here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,654,001 times
Do young people on the east coast act more 'west coast' as a result of Hollywood's influence?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 19,603,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Do young people on the east coast act more 'west coast' as a result of Hollywood's influence?
Young people on the east coast watch Hollywood movies of course, like they do everywhere else. But, for the most part, east coast cities have their own culture and thing going on.

I'd also add there's a confluence of influences from different parts of the U.S. and some from Europe.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Young people on the east coast watch Hollywood movies of course, like they do everywhere else. But, for the most part, east coast cities have their own culture and thing going on.

I'd also add there's a confluence of influences from different parts of the U.S. and some from Europe.
So you wouldn't say east coast teenagers/20something act 'more west coast' than their parents do?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
So you wouldn't say east coast teenagers/20something act 'more west coast' than their parents do?
Can you give some examples of what that means?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Can you give some examples of what that means?
Well, their accent, being 'chill' as opposed to being staunchly career-oriented/obsessed with being busy, would be a couple examples.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM

295 posts, read 590,879 times
I live in the D.C. area and was in Seattle at Macy's and can swear that the selection of clothing was far more colorful than what I find in D.C. I've lived on both coasts but I think that observation speaks for itself. Or maybe I was just in a good mood for not being in DC, not sure.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:33 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,493,839 times
Quote:
Hollywood has been around for a long time, and who's to say it doesn't reflect the culture of where the movies are supposed to take place? Quite a few movies don't take place in L.A., just because they are produced there.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Well, their accent, being 'chill' as opposed to being staunchly career-oriented/obsessed with being busy, would be a couple examples.
Hmm.. I can't tell much difference in the accents between the suburban parts of cities on the east and west coasts. However, the young people I've heard in the inner cities like Baltimore, Philly, NYC and Boston sometimes do have an accent that is particular to those cities. There are also a lot of transplants in these cities from other places too and that tends to dilute the accents.

As for being chill as opposed to being career-oriented and busy, I think young people tend to be more serious these days because the competition for college is so tough and the stakes/expenses are so high. But maybe I've been noticing only a segment of the population and it's not like that everywhere on the east coast.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 PM

313 posts, read 286,977 times
Quote:
Hmm.. I can't tell much difference in the accents between the suburban parts of cities on the east and west coasts. However, the young people I've heard in the inner cities like Baltimore, Philly, NYC and Boston sometimes do have an accent that is particular to those cities. There are also a lot of transplants in these cities from other places too and that tends to dilute the accents.

As for being chill as opposed to being career-oriented and busy, I think young people tend to be more serious these days because the competition for college is so tough and the stakes/expenses are so high. But maybe I've been noticing only a segment of the population and it's not like that everywhere on the east coast.

I actually agree with this.

There are kids ive met through college in Jersey that sound like theyre from Southern Cal the way they talk. Its a very neutral kind of accent IMO. Theyre from the suburbs too, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or