U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:29 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,359,477 times

Advertisements

I'll speak for the Bay Area, but must shade that presentation over with the fact also lived in San Diego and Seattle. These three places are very different. There is no real way to paint the west coast.

IMO, for people who are primarily from the West Coast and the throngs of newcomers hopping over the Pacific, there will be havy bias on their part how "liberal and accepting" the Bay Area is.

I am currently back east, and would like to throw in that I lived in the South for a bit as well. Face it, there is racism area, each place seems to have their own spin and smell to it. As for the Bay Area, and this is coming from a guy with a tan. You have to perspective my tan, as the only groups in the Bay Area who have it are Mexicans, Philippinos, Indians and Arabs. What makes it worse is that while the diversity can be measured by race (imo is very bad and disrespectful) or by ethnicity/nationality (much better), the latter works out much better. But with all the hispanics being from one place;(Mexico), granted many from Central America, who are in essence "Mexican's from DOWN south". South East Asians are all Philippinos, East Asians are dominated by the Chinese and the South Asians are exclusive to Indians. Add the fact that the white people out here have mostly lost their connection to their prospective old countries, now are just "WHITE" or "AMERICAN". With the limited number of ethnic groups and the seemingly coincidental mix of certain ethnic groups who tend to stress the moniker insular and monolithic, than many other groups you see in other places in the U.S.

In the Northeast we may not love each other and we let each other know how we feel, but we are speaking to you as a human being to a human being. There's no shush, shush, talk in some other language about "those blacks" etc. like you see so prevelantly in the Bay Area. The Asians appear to be playing this bizzaro game of chasing "white membership". To each their own, but as a person who does not see, or has ever seen this type of behavior, finds it a bit odd.

Even some artsy homeless guy through out some cute ethnic jab at me in front of his friends of progressive, young creative types with tight jeans and sparkly atire who then laughed at that. Beoutch, over here, you would have lost your teeth over that. You could say they where all high and screwin around, but their look was so hipster and even included a hipster homeless guy (for the latest). I was different there, I was a tan guy with a Fillipina chich on my arm. Even if you say we are different, isn't protrayed that you can walk around a city like San Francisco and not be gawked or sneered at. When I was there it seemed like it was everyday. I know what gawk and sneere is, I know the 3 second rules etc. yadayada, I am mostly pie in the sky as I stroll around places, so this **** most probably was pushed on to me, so that I noticed it.

An oh yes, people will take time out to deal with me, because they don't like what I portray due to fear and want me out. Hypocrites, if I ever saw some. Even when their high some of these people where acting like the had redwood trees jammed straight up their ying yangs.

Otherwise, it is beautiful to visit the Bay Area and Seattle and San Diego are most definitely not like the Bay. Much, much more open to things they might on first perception, not like.

Maybe that's why no one is hearing anything or caring about what happens in San Francisco besides the Golden Gate Bridge and Fishermans Wharf and maybe that crooked street.

Hope this helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 06:12 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,505,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I'll speak for the Bay Area, but must shade that presentation over with the fact also lived in San Diego and Seattle. These three places are very different. There is no real way to paint the west coast.

IMO, for people who are primarily from the West Coast and the throngs of newcomers hopping over the Pacific, there will be havy bias on their part how "liberal and accepting" the Bay Area is.

I am currently back east, and would like to throw in that I lived in the South for a bit as well. Face it, there is racism area, each place seems to have their own spin and smell to it. As for the Bay Area, and this is coming from a guy with a tan. You have to perspective my tan, as the only groups in the Bay Area who have it are Mexicans, Philippinos, Indians and Arabs. What makes it worse is that while the diversity can be measured by race (imo is very bad and disrespectful) or by ethnicity/nationality (much better), the latter works out much better. But with all the hispanics being from one place;(Mexico), granted many from Central America, who are in essence "Mexican's from DOWN south". South East Asians are all Philippinos, East Asians are dominated by the Chinese and the South Asians are exclusive to Indians. Add the fact that the white people out here have mostly lost their connection to their prospective old countries, now are just "WHITE" or "AMERICAN". With the limited number of ethnic groups and the seemingly coincidental mix of certain ethnic groups who tend to stress the moniker insular and monolithic, than many other groups you see in other places in the U.S.

In the Northeast we may not love each other and we let each other know how we feel, but we are speaking to you as a human being to a human being. There's no shush, shush, talk in some other language about "those blacks" etc. like you see so prevelantly in the Bay Area. The Asians appear to be playing this bizzaro game of chasing "white membership". To each their own, but as a person who does not see, or has ever seen this type of behavior, finds it a bit odd.

Even some artsy homeless guy through out some cute ethnic jab at me in front of his friends of progressive, young creative types with tight jeans and sparkly atire who then laughed at that. Beoutch, over here, you would have lost your teeth over that. You could say they where all high and screwin around, but their look was so hipster and even included a hipster homeless guy (for the latest). I was different there, I was a tan guy with a Fillipina chich on my arm. Even if you say we are different, isn't protrayed that you can walk around a city like San Francisco and not be gawked or sneered at. When I was there it seemed like it was everyday. I know what gawk and sneere is, I know the 3 second rules etc. yadayada, I am mostly pie in the sky as I stroll around places, so this **** most probably was pushed on to me, so that I noticed it.

An oh yes, people will take time out to deal with me, because they don't like what I portray due to fear and want me out. Hypocrites, if I ever saw some. Even when their high some of these people where acting like the had redwood trees jammed straight up their ying yangs.

Otherwise, it is beautiful to visit the Bay Area and Seattle and San Diego are most definitely not like the Bay. Much, much more open to things they might on first perception, not like.

Maybe that's why no one is hearing anything or caring about what happens in San Francisco besides the Golden Gate Bridge and Fishermans Wharf and maybe that crooked street.

Hope this helped.
How you described the Bay Area (and I'm assuming you were talking about SF) is the same way you can describe DC (and other parts of big East Coast cities to a lesser extent). The "shush shush" talk about blacks is prevalent, nearly all other ethnic groups try to play up to the whites for "membership" (usually by showing outright hatred to blacks), and everyone is way more threatened by a black who is successful more than they are by a black thug. In other words, limousine liberalness is the standard. Add to that, you have the entity known as "the black community" on the East Coast (and especially in DC) where if you don't go by the "black script" and be a hustla/thug/mediocre being, they make it known that you are "the enemy", and are seen as their Antichrist. I'm sure you have that BS element in Oakland. But I will say most of the Bay Area's BS is driven by the transplants, because the natives I've met while in the Bay Area were some of the chillest and most open minded people. At least the Bay Area has that going for it (granted those people are gradually disappearing). DC, on the other hand, has locals who are on average just as nasty as the transplants this city attracts.

But I will concur with your observations that San Diego and Seattle are way more open-minded and epitomize more of the live-and-let-live spirit of the West.

In other words, the major cities in the West (mainly SF and LA) and those out East (BosWash corridor) aren't that much different. But I will give the West Coast the nod only due to the semi-major cities like SD, Seattle, and Sacramento.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 07-19-2012 at 06:29 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,359,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
How you described the Bay Area (and I'm assuming you were talking about SF) is the same way you can describe DC (and other parts of big East Coast cities to a lesser extent). The "shush shush" talk about blacks is prevalent, nearly all other ethnic groups try to play up to the whites for "membership" (usually by showing outright hatred to blacks), and everyone is way more threatened by a black who is successful more than they are by a black thug. In other words, limousine liberalness is the standard. Add to that, you have the entity known as "the black community" on the East Coast (and especially in DC) where if you don't go by the "black script" and be a hustla/thug/mediocre being, they make it known that you are "the enemy", and are seen as their Antichrist. I'm sure you have that BS element in Oakland. But I will say most of the Bay Area's BS is driven by the transplants, because the natives I've met while in the Bay Area were some of the chillest and most open minded people. At least the Bay Area has that going for it (granted those people are gradually disappearing). DC, on the other hand, has locals who are on average just as nasty as the transplants this city attracts.

But I will concur with your observations that San Diego and Seattle are way more open-minded and epitomize more of the live-and-let-live spirit of the West.

In other words, the major cities in the West (mainly SF and LA) and those out East (BosWash corridor) aren't that much different. But I will give the West Coast the nod only due to the semi-major cities like SD, Seattle, and Sacramento.
I was in DC a few years back and did keep my radar up for comparison purposes. DC is aloof, lots of transients, people seemed a little standoff-ish at times, but nothing and I mean nothing like what I saw in certain parts of the Bay Area. I'm tan and I can tell you that I understand that blacks are not only leaving the Bay Area because of cost of living. Constant harrassment of both the subtle and aggressive kind. Nothing physical though, thank god. I am going back there for vacation soon and let me tell you that I have been back in my Jersey/PA element long enough to get most of the tude back. I have pity upon the racist/bigot/ignorant maxi mouth pads that cross paths with me with attitude. I be devil

Old 07-21-2012, 02:57 AM

2,209 posts, read 3,621,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
The Asians appear to be playing this bizzaro game of chasing "white membership". To each their own, but as a person who does not see, or has ever seen this type of behavior, finds it a bit odd.
I'm not quite understanding this, can you explain?

Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 PM

32,135 posts, read 33,044,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
What are your feelings, in a few words, about the vibe of both areas and how it felt to you? How did the people feel to you? Don't necessarily mean California West Coast or Boston East Coast, anywheres.

East Coast--closed system, tradition bound, community oriented, narrow focus, "father knows best," patriarchal, hierarchal

West Coast--open system, non-traditional, individually oriented, wider focus, "mother knows best," non-patriarchal, non-hierarchal
I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area and in NYC. I found that in both areas people are individually oriented rather than community oriented but this may have to do with urban living (rather than rural). I feel that the life on the West Coast is more laid back than on the East Coast.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:39 PM

5,374 posts, read 12,993,520 times
In my experiences of living on both coast, the east coasters are way more uptight and as neighbors, just plain evil!
Moving to Seattle from DC was like a breath of fresh air imo.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 29 days ago)

8,747 posts, read 10,868,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area and in NYC. I found that in both areas people are individually oriented rather than community oriented but this may have to do with urban living (rather than rural). I feel that the life on the West Coast is more laid back than on the East Coast.
Ya, I can see what you are saying as far as urban versus rural people being more individually oriented. Maybe the community thing is less about the east vs west and more about living in smaller areas versus larger urban areas.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 29 days ago)

8,747 posts, read 10,868,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
In my experiences of living on both coast, the east coasters are way more uptight and as neighbors, just plain evil!
Moving to Seattle from DC was like a breath of fresh air imo.

How do you mean more evil? I've noticed east coast people are more friendlier in an up-front kind of way, but what does it really mean? They present themselves that way, kinda out there with their feelings/emotions, but they also seem to be "scheming behind the scene" more, game playing, you're in or out mentality. West coast people don't seem to be into that, they would rather walk away or not confront.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,197,068 times
On the East Coast I've lived in upstate New York and NYC, while my sister was in Boston - so many visits there.

On the West Coast I've lived in Seattle & Olympia WA and LA and Sacramento CA.

I LOVED the east coast. Fascinating material history; a "you lead your life & I'll lead mine" attitude; easy public transportation.

I HATED the west coast. Ticky Tacky architecture; a "comparing me versus you" attitude; terrible public transportation.

I live in the Midwest now, and would not choose to go back to live on either coast. But if I HAD to - NYC or Boston here I come!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:29 PM

774 posts, read 1,425,685 times
Both coasts have too many people, too much congestion, and horrible traffic, HTH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or