Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 01:31 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times

Advertisements

I just love cheap motels. The kitschyer, the better.

I love the big neon signs, mid-century architecture, and the smell of stale cigarettes (even though I've given up the habit myself). I love meeting unusual, interesting people in their parking lots and at the dive bars and diners that are always and inevitably within a stone's throw away. The nostalgia, the aesthetics, the girt, the honesty. They just inspire me.

Cheap motels are America.

I'm not really asking what city has the most cheap motels, even though that is absolutely a key factor. I'm more looking for a city that embodies the cheap motel ethos. What city represents the soul a cheap motel?

Please include pictures and links to Google maps. I'm a visual person.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 08:59 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Daytona Beach, Florida is the cheapest, sketchiest place I've ever been. Miles and miles of old mom-and-pop motels built in the 50s and 60s. You can get a room right on the beach for $30 a night. Bring your black light to check the linens and carpets for bodily fluids! Hustlers and drug dealers work the boardwalk at night. America at its finest!

Old 07-29-2017, 09:36 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Daytona Beach, Florida is the cheapest, sketchiest place I've ever been. Miles and miles of old mom-and-pop motels built in the 50s and 60s. You can get a room right on the beach for $30 a night. Bring your black light to check the linens and carpets for bodily fluids! Hustlers and drug dealers work the boardwalk at night. America at its finest!
Was just about to say Daytona Beach. Cheap sketchy motels and dive bars galore.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:45 PM

23,458 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Was just about to say Daytona Beach. Cheap sketchy motels and dive bars galore.
I'll third that. In my day, Daytona, Ft.Lauderdale, Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach and Ocean Beach were the very definitions of cheap sex, drugs and rock n' roll.
NJ has some pretty cringeworthy beach towns, too.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:41 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,433 times
I've got a route 66 t-shirt that lists all the roadside motels and diners, etc. that are along the highway. Judging by that, I'd guess Oklahoma City or St. Louis.

Great article here on the restoration of the Wagon Wheel, a classic Route 66 motel:
Updated Missouri hotels hope to keep Route 66 magic alive | Travel | stltoday.com

Old 07-30-2017, 01:11 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,017 times
Reno, NV? Downtown is still filled with them.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Reno, NV? Downtown is still filled with them.
I was guessing that this was going to be the answer, but I've never been to Reno. Can't wait to visit.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
They've renovated this motel that once used to rent to certain clients (ahem) by the hour since the neighborhood has become gentrified. The city doesn't embody cheap hotels any longer as once it did. The neon sign is still there though. It's a reminder of things past to those who lived there a long time ago.

https://www.hotels.com/ho537649/palm...es-of-america/

Old 07-30-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
They've renovated this motel that once used to rent to certain clients (ahem) by the hour since the neighborhood has become gentrified. The city doesn't embody cheap hotels any longer as once it did. The neon sign is still there though. It's a reminder of things past to those who lived there a long time ago.

https://www.hotels.com/ho537649/palm...es-of-america/
Oh my God, I actually stayed there back in March. The old, lumpy bed was not too comfortable and the inn keeper was rude. But it was clean and that amazing neon sign made the stay worth while. It's right around the corner from the Overlook Restaurant, which was the best Greek-American diner I've been to in ages. Overall, good memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.