U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,200,030 times
Default What Makes An Ideal Neighbourhood For You?

An ideal neighbourhood, for me, would have the following:

- trees whose upper branches entwine with those of the trees across the street...giving the street a covered bridge/tunnel look
- houses would be set back at least 45' but not much more than 100'
- the lot widths would vary from 50' wide to 200' wide
- the houses would all have front porches, be sided in natural materials, and designed by different architects in various years/decades
- the street would be two lanes wide, no on-street parking, speed limit 30 mph
- one end of the street would be downtown of a small Mayberry-like community and the other end would lead past turn-of-the-century mansions and, eventually, to farmland/vineyards with rolling hills in the distance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 AM

6,629 posts, read 4,959,896 times

Old 07-13-2012, 10:53 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,789,427 times
I like neighborhoods that look like this:

Google Maps

It should also be walkable to a small commercial district with amenities like grocery stores, a barber, restaurants, etc. and have easy access to mass-transportation to the central business district, where I'd work.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 AM

2,117 posts, read 2,126,679 times
My ideal neighborhood is no neighborhood at all.

The farther away from other people the better. I need to be surrounded by many acres of woods.

It's not that I'm a total recluse, but in the price range that I would spend for a home seems to be in neighborhoods with people that don't maintain their properties. Be them renters, first time owners, or people that just can't afford to.
And regardless of price ranges, people in this area have proven to be very disrespectful of neighboring properties and act like they're the only people on earth.
I also don't like people coming door to door to sell things or tape flyers to the mailbox. That annoys me a lot. I need a gate to keep out uninvited guests. I don't enjoy the amateur fireworks displays or having to drive slowly because of children playing in the street. I don't like going out into my back yard and being on display for all the neighbors to see. I don't like people parking in the street in front of my house. Especially when it's police that have come to serve a warrant on the neighbor. I don't like the noise of roadways, especially interstates and I don't like listening to the rumble of nedreck cars like chargers and dodge rams or obnoxiously loud motorcycles. I also don't enjoy listening to your string trimmer at 7am or your barking dogs. I don't want to choke on the gas fumes of your lawn mower.

In summary, as few people as possible.

Last edited by cittic10; 07-13-2012 at 11:16 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 11:57 AM

1,141 posts, read 979,136 times
My ideal neighborhood would include:

-Houses that aren't so too close together (I don't want to be able to hear your arguments or conversations with the windows and doors closed) lol
-Houses that look different from each other (I dislike the cookie-cutter subdivisions where houses look identical to each other).
-Pets are not allowed to be chained up outside for long periods of time and certainly not overnight.
-Cars are to be parked in garages or driveways and not on the street or in your yard.... and loud mufflers would not be allowed.
-Sidewalks would extend the length of the neighborhood
-Lawns and the exterior of your home must be kept tidy.
-Houses would start at $100k
-Nowhere near factories, railroad tracks, or industrial areas.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:31 AM

2,117 posts, read 2,126,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post

The farther away from other people the better. I need to be surrounded by many acres of woods.

It's not that I'm a total recluse, but in the price range that I would spend for a home seems to be in neighborhoods with people that don't maintain their properties. Be them renters, first time owners, or people that just can't afford to.
And regardless of price ranges, people in this area have proven to be very disrespectful of neighboring properties and act like they're the only people on earth.
I also don't like people coming door to door to sell things or tape flyers to the mailbox. That annoys me a lot. I need a gate to keep out uninvited guests. I don't enjoy the amateur fireworks displays or having to drive slowly because of children playing in the street. I don't like going out into my back yard and being on display for all the neighbors to see. I don't like people parking in the street in front of my house. Especially when it's police that have come to serve a warrant on the neighbor. I don't like the noise of roadways, especially interstates and I don't like listening to the rumble of nedreck cars like chargers and dodge rams or obnoxiously loud motorcycles. I also don't enjoy listening to your string trimmer at 7am or your barking dogs. I don't want to choke on the gas fumes of your lawn mower.

I got some new ones.

I was out mowing the lawn this morning (I'm the only one in the 'hood that does that apparently) and realized there are a few more things that I absolutely hate about living in a "neighborhood".

I hate finding cigarette butts in my lawn, in my driveway, in my landscaping and in front of my house. And I hate smelling smoke from the neighbors.
Likewise I hate finding little crack baggies. Why can't these people get foreclosed already!?

I also hate when people put on garage sales. They always bring in the dregs of the earth driving through in their beat up jalopies, riding really slow and looking like they're casing the neighborhood picking out homes to burglarize. People!!1 Just throw your *#!t out! Or take it to Goodwill and get a tax credit for whatever value you think the merchandise is!!! It is not necessary to tape up tacky garage sale signs everywhere (and then of course never take them down) when all you have to do is donate it and you can literally make whatever value you think the items have with no haggling and no bringing in so many suspicious vehicles into the neighborhood. AAH!H! Makes me want to explode.

And if you do not want all the newspapers that are piling up in your driveway, call the newspaper and tell them you don't want any more flip flappin newspapers!!! AAAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:37 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,101,054 times
My ideal neighborhood has friendly neighbors who help each other out and stop and chat with each other whenever they have time. I'd prefer it if they kept up their properties in a reasonable manner and didn't allow their dogs to bark. But I wouldn't want some sterile neighborhood where everyone keeps their houses and lawns perfectly maintained but there's never anything interesting going on. I'd rather have the neighbor boy spinning brodies on his snowmachine in the middle of the street than be surrounded by boring people.

As far as location, I wouldn't mind being in a more rural area a few miles from town, but right now we live in town and enjoy the convenience, so based on that I like to have a short walk to the grocery store, and a short enough distance to the rest of town that I can walk or bike anywhere I need to go.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:32 PM

21,550 posts, read 16,186,329 times
Low population density (population divided by square miles)
no street parking in commercial area just parking lot parking
no parking garages
no high rise buildings
no central downtown so no homeless
low crime
not much traffic
nearby nature (lakes, mountains, rivers, woods, wildlife)
friendly people
no Interstate goes through the town
clean
no mayor minding my business

Old 07-15-2012, 03:21 AM

3,274 posts, read 2,385,416 times
Default Brookside - kansas city

One of my favorite neighborhoods is Brookside in Kansas City. It's a village-style, streetcar suburb built mostly in the 1920's. It's basically just like Chicago's North Shore suburbs. I call it a suburb, but it's actually in the city limits. The housing is almost exclusively single-family, but there are a couple each of condo buildings and apartment buildings. The house styles range from those on typical gridded streets with full-sized front porches in the north, to a variety of 1920's middle-class styles in the south on early-suburban windy, but through, streets. A Tudor-architecture village-style neighborhood business district lies in the center with all of the daily necessities, including 2 grocery stores (upscale and average) and a farmer's market, a CVS, post office, UPS store, a coffeeshop that has what must be some of the best coffee anywhere, an ice cream shop, a dozen or so restaurants (both everyday and upscale, quick-service and sit-down, many are also bars), a variety of locally-owned businesses, banks, professional offices, etc. There are no office buildings or major employment, but Brookside is toward the southern edge of Kansas City's linear urban core and is served by Kansas City's best (BRT) bus line and just a few minutes from the Country Club Plaza (uptown district), midtown, and downtown. Most of the power lines are buried and all streets are perfectly tree canopied with large, mature trees. There are several pieces of public art and one large fountain in the area too.

An extensive photo tour can be seen here:

Kansas City, Missouri - Brookside neighborhood (LONG))

A list of businesses can be seen here:

Brookside | The Official Website of the Brookside Business Association

Brookside on Google Maps:

64113 - Google Maps

Old 07-15-2012, 05:19 AM

4,870 posts, read 4,420,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post

I can relate to this. I'm social when I wanna be, but my true nature is to be left alone! I don't like disturbances and annoyances, probably most of the human race...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.