U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In my mind:
Washington, D.C. is associated with Maryland and Virginia 55 69.62%
Washington, D.C. is completely separate entity from Maryland and Virginia 24 30.38%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times

Advertisements

Yes to Both or all. Not so much different than say NYC and NY State, NJ, and CT or Philly and NJ etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,146,579 times
I associate DC with both states; however, I don't associate DC with Baltimore, at all.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,303,034 times
Nowadays, I associate it with massive sprawl, and that godawful beltway...

Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,434,497 times
I associate both states with DC, but in different ways. Maryland is more affiliated with DC geographically of course but VA seems to have the greater impact from DC. The primary reason I say that is because Arlington, VA has the Pentagon, and it has benefits a bit better than Maryland when it comes to jobs, plus Downtown DC is much closer to VA so the benefits are virtually unlimited on their end. I think MD hasn't benefited as much with the job sector because our taxes are much steeper than VA, but I'm not saying its not benefiting. We're the wealthiest state in the nation because of the DC region of MD, and our growth during the recession remained pretty stable because of DC.?

So in short Maryland benefits better geographically, but VA has the better govt benefits.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 AM

17,250 posts, read 19,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I associate both states with DC, but in different ways. Maryland is more affiliated with DC geographically of course but VA seems to have the greater impact from DC. The primary reason I say that is because Arlington, VA has the Pentagon, and it has benefits a bit better than Maryland when it comes to jobs, plus Downtown DC is much closer to VA so the benefits are virtually unlimited on their end. I think MD hasn't benefited as much with the job sector because our taxes are much steeper than VA, but I'm not saying its not benefiting. We're the wealthiest state in the nation because of the DC region of MD, and our growth during the recession remained pretty stable because of DC.?

So in short Maryland benefits better geographically, but VA has the better govt benefits.
It's not so easy for me to gauge how much DC influences the Baltimore metropolitan area today. Baltimore's economy used to be a much more industrial-based decades ago. But it has since then become a service economy.

I think the counties surrounding Baltimore have become bedroom communities associated with both the Baltimore and DC area economies. At least Howard County is. There's a lot of overlap in the labor markets here.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 07-17-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 AM

12 posts, read 24,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's not so easy for me to gauge how much DC influences the Baltimore metropolitan area today. Baltimore's economy used to be a much more industrial-based decades ago. But it has since then become a service economy.

I think the counties surrounding Baltimore have become bedroom communities associated with both the Baltimore and DC area economies. At least Howard County is. There's a lot of overlap in the labor markets here.
Yea baltimore used to be ahead of d.c in just about everything. No one could of predicted the d.c area becoming so insane in terms of pricing and the job market there becoming the most active in the country

Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM

340 posts, read 649,312 times
DC is associated with VA more so economically
DC is associated with MD more so socially/culturally

Old 07-18-2012, 11:14 AM

17,250 posts, read 19,550,442 times
BTW, for those who don't know, the Redskins play in Landover, Maryland. :-)

Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
BTW, for those who don't know, the Redskins play in Landover, Maryland. :-)
But they train in Ashburn, VA...so...

Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 AM

163 posts, read 196,830 times
DC has more in common with Maryland than Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or