Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In my mind:
Washington, D.C. is associated with Maryland and Virginia 55 69.62%
Washington, D.C. is completely separate entity from Maryland and Virginia 24 30.38%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 PM

581 posts, read 962,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I always felt a Maryland-type vibe in DC. NOVA is common in DC but that's it.
In many areas Maryland isn't the slightest bit like DC 5 miles out of the beltway.
I always feel a NoVA like vibe in DC and fail to see how most of Maryland is that similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 12:25 PM

48 posts, read 72,332 times
O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Geographically, Maryland borders Washington, D.C. on the northwest, northeast and southeast sides of the city. Virginia is also right across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.

However, I'm curious whether you mentally group these 3 together. Or whether these 3 are separate in your mind.
I associate Washington D.C with Maryland and Virginia. Washington D.C was originally made of land from Virginia and Maryland. Virginia has since reincorporated its portions that is now Arlington County and the city of Alexandria during the civil war. During that time DC was originally a 100 mile square bordering Maryland and Virginia. Now its about 70 square miles within Maryland boundaries.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,541,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty23 View Post
O

I associate Washington D.C with Maryland and Virginia. Washington D.C was originally made of land from Virginia and Maryland. Virginia has since reincorporated its portions that is now Arlington County and the city of Alexandria during the civil war. During that time DC was originally a 100 mile square bordering Maryland and Virginia. Now its about 70 square miles within Maryland boundaries.
It was slightly before the Civil War I think - as I recall the VA side of DC was concerned because the MD side wanted to abolish slavery within the district, and the VA side was heavily reliant on the slave trade.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 AM

48 posts, read 72,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
It was slightly before the Civil War I think - as I recall the VA side of DC was concerned because the MD side wanted to abolish slavery within the district, and the VA side was heavily reliant on the slave trade.
Maybe you're right

Old 07-23-2012, 07:03 AM

26,851 posts, read 43,334,989 times
I actually lived in DC for several years and can tell you residents of DC think of Maryland and Virginia as the 'burbs, much the way NYC residents think of NJ or Long Island for instance. DC residents rarely go to the 'burbs unless going to a mall or to use the airport. DC is self governed and many residents tend to be fiercely independent in terms of definition of DC's relationship with the other 50 states. For example, the DC license plate's motto is "Taxation without Representation" since the 620,000 DC residents (more residents than the state of Wyoming and nearly as many as North Dakota and Vermont) pay taxes like everyone else in the US but receive no voting rights in Congress.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,111,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I actually lived in DC for several years and can tell you residents of DC think of Maryland and Virginia as the 'burbs, much the way NYC residents think of NJ or Long Island for instance. DC residents rarely go to the 'burbs unless going to a mall or to use the airport. DC is self governed and many residents tend to be fiercely independent in terms of definition of DC's relationship with the other 50 states. For example, the DC license plate's motto is "Taxation without Representation" since the 620,000 DC residents (more residents than the state of Wyoming and nearly as many as North Dakota and Vermont) pay taxes like everyone else in the US but receive no voting rights in Congress.
Homerun. Virginia and Maryland do not have any influence on DC. There is no NOVA vibe in DC. It's the other way around. DC is basically self sufficient except for shopping malls. NOVA is sterile and out past the beltway is Wal-martville.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 AM

27,268 posts, read 28,339,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Homerun. Virginia and Maryland do not have any influence on DC. There is no NOVA vibe in DC. It's the other way around. DC is basically self sufficient except for shopping malls. NOVA is sterile and out past the beltway is Wal-martville.
That's quite an exaggeration considering that DC's city population almost doubles during the daytime as a result of all the workers coming in from Maryland and Virginia. Also, about 87% of the DC metro area population is outside DC city limits and quite a lot of government offices are located in the nearby suburbs.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,111,293 times
Quote:
That's quite an exaggeration considering that DC's city population almost doubles during the daytime as a result of all the workers coming in from Maryland and Virginia. Also, about 87% of the DC metro area population is outside DC city limits and quite a lot of government offices are located in the nearby suburbs.
So what? Every city has commuters. We are talking about cultural influence. The only thing I can really see where MD creeps in to DC are crabs in the summer. People in DC love blue crabs. DC has everything else. Alot of people from MD and VA suburbs consider themselves Washingtonians. I have heard it so many times. Most people in PG/MC align themselves more with DC than Baltimore or anything else in MD.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 AM

26,851 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Quote:
That's quite an exaggeration considering that DC's city population almost doubles during the daytime as a result of all the workers coming in from Maryland and Virginia.
And the same goes for NYC, would that be considered an exaggeration?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 AM

581 posts, read 962,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Alot of people from MD and VA suburbs consider themselves Washingtonians. I have heard it so many times. Most people in PG/MC align themselves more with DC than Baltimore or anything else in MD.
I find this to be generally true, with the exception of rural PG which identifies more with southern Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.