U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:24 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,142,569 times

Advertisements

There have actually been a lot of studies on dialects of American English, especially the Philadelphia accent. This is because UPenn has done a lot of research about this. I can post some about it, if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 09:25 PM

56,005 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
There have actually been a lot of studies on dialects of American English, especially the Philadelphia accent. This is because UPenn has done a lot of research about this. I can post some about it, if you like.
Sure!

I am always interested in this stuff.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:47 AM

14,962 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's funny that we can sometimes have such different pronounciations. A friend and I were talking about the thread on the Writing forum where those of us who care about such things smack our foreheads over misused words and phrases. My friend said one that drives her nuts is on real estate sites--people use the term "rod iron" instead of "wrought iron". I was wondering how they could make such an error when "rod" and "wrought" don't even rhyme...and then I realized that in some parts of the country, they might.
I would pronounce that as "rawt iron".

Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,142,569 times
Quote:
Sure!

I am always interested in this stuff.
I'll post some serious ones later, but here's a short guide:
Phillyspeak

On the topic:
Quote:
I Shore Do

In the cowboy movies I saw as a kid, every real Westerner said "shore" for "sure." So do Philadelphians. For us, "tour" is "tore," rather than "tooer.""You're" and "your" soundexactly like "yore"; "pour" and "poor" the same as "pore."
Also, linguistics have theorized that the mid-Atlantic dialect (especially Philly) was the ancestor dialect of standard American. It's the only non-rhotic dialect on the East Coast (New England to Georgia do not pronounce Rs at the end of words).

Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times
Quote:
I am in New Jersey, and we say neither. It's "shoor", rhyming with "poor".
We're the same!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I would pronounce that as "rawt iron".
That's correct!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I'll post some serious ones later, but here's a short guide:
Phillyspeak

On the topic:

Also, linguistics have theorized that the mid-Atlantic dialect (especially Philly) was the ancestor dialect of standard American. It's the only non-rhotic dialect on the East Coast (New England to Georgia do not pronounce Rs at the end of words).
That's absolutely untrue.

I am from northern New Jersey, fifth generation here. We pronounce the Rs at the end of our words. The exception would be a few places close to New York City, such as Jersey City. Many New Yorkers do not pronounce the R, nor do some New Englanders. Now I live in Central Jersey, and people here pronounce their Rs as well.

That's why people from NJ get so annoyed when people from other parts of the country say "Joisey". No one in NJ says it that way. Unless they moved here from Brooklyn or something.

And go a little further south and you can hear the Philly accent having that odd vowel sound for O that I haven't heard anywhere else.

(To others, people from Philadelphia, and by extension, southern NJ, say "foon" for "phone" and "hoom" for "home", etc.)

Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Rhotic and non-rhotic accents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scroll down to map of Eastern US to see traditionally non-rhotic areas.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,595,176 times
Its weird because you can hear a good amount of people not pronounce there Rs in Philly, specifically in South Philly and parts of South Jersey.

Steve Martorano on the Streets of South Philly - YouTube

Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,771,456 times
Quote:
It's funny that we can sometimes have such different pronounciations. A friend and I were talking about the thread on the Writing forum where those of us who care about such things smack our foreheads over misused words and phrases. My friend said one that drives her nuts is on real estate sites--people use the term "rod iron" instead of "wrought iron". I was wondering how they could make such an error when "rod" and "wrought" don't even rhyme...and then I realized that in some parts of the country, they might.
rod iron? Kind of like a realtor who when describing a bedrooom, said (this was in the south ) here is the bedroom suit (she pronounced it like "business suit", ) , instead of "suite"

I had no idea what she meant, until I realized her vocabulary was off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.