U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 AM

811 posts, read 824,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptkid View Post
That's country...

No it isn't!!!

The only people who pronounce that way are nerds.
Call it what you want, but "sher" is the proper way to say "sure". Notice that there is no "o" is "sure". Sur can either make a sound like in "sur(f)", or it can make a "sher" sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 01:30 PM

56,144 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Call it what you want, but "sher" is the proper way to say "sure". Notice that there is no "o" is "sure". Sur can either make a sound like in "sur(f)", or it can make a "sher" sound.
I still say it's neither one. It is "shoor" or maybe it should be written "shewr". Like Poor. Or Lure. Or Cure. You don't say "per" or "ler" or "kyer", do you? LOL, at least I hope not!

Old 02-23-2014, 02:14 PM

53 posts, read 97,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Its weird because you can hear a good amount of people not pronounce there Rs in Philly, specifically in South Philly and parts of South Jersey.

Steve Martorano on the Streets of South Philly - YouTube
He pronounces his R's. Didn't you hear, "Although I haven't lived here for years. . ." A non-rhotic speakers would have said, "Although I haven't lived heah for yeahs. . ."

Old 02-23-2014, 02:23 PM

53 posts, read 97,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Not true. "Shore" for "sure" is so common as to be a proper pronunciation. Vowels like u and o can be used in many different ways. Uranus, your, Uriel. Do these all have to have the "yer" sound? For most people, they don't. "Sher" and "shore" are both standard in American English.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwEdz4JblU

Are you also one of those people who pronounce "tour" as "too-er?"

Old 02-23-2014, 02:33 PM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,509,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
Not true. "Shore" for "sure" is so common as to be a proper pronunciation. Vowels like u and o can be used in many different ways. Uranus, your, Uriel. Do these all have to have the "yer" sound? For most people, they don't. "Sher" and "shore" are both standard in American English.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwEdz4JblU

Are you also one of those people who pronounce "tour" as "too-er?"
Funny thing is I pronounce sure "sher" but when singing vocals in my old rock band
pronounced it "Shore". So for me either way is correct.

As for the word "tour" ...I pronounce it as "too-er",
watching US TV I hear it sometimes pronounced like "tore".

Old 02-23-2014, 04:27 PM

1,819 posts, read 3,438,314 times
Default boredatwork

This is funny I say "shore" for sure. How can I explain but another funny one is the word "well" when starting to explain something. Even though its pronounced "well" half the people I speak to in a professional setting will say "wole" or "wul" real short and quick as if there is a "t" at the end like "wult"...

example. How does exhibit A work.....
answer: "wult"...you see it works like this......

Old 02-23-2014, 09:12 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,050,929 times
"Shore" is the pronunciation of the word "sure" most commonly heard in the Northeastern U.S.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:28 PM

3,484 posts, read 4,378,399 times
I thought "sher" was some kind of Valley Girl pronunciation. Pretty shore the east coast pronunciation, which I use, is more standard.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:10 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,050,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I thought "sher" was some kind of Valley Girl pronunciation. Pretty shore the east coast pronunciation, which I use, is more standard.
It's not--trust me.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 AM

56,144 posts, read 54,630,432 times
In NJ, we say "shoor". Shore is a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.