U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:48 PM

607 posts, read 1,092,695 times

Advertisements

I'm from the East Coast and have always pronounced "sure" as "sher." I've heard people pronounce it like "shore" though. Seemed kinda random to me.

As for the rhoticity discussion, having lived in NYC before (as a child, later completely lost the accent), I noticed a bit of a social class barrier - upper class people are usually rhotic whereas lower-income people are non-rhotic. If I remember correctly, I myself pronounced "r" when on a stressed syllable (and of course, when followed by a vowel), but not on an unstressed one - "car wash" would get the "r" pronounced whereas "master" would not.

Last edited by David_J; 02-24-2014 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 327 times
I'm from England and everyone i have ever spoken to says 'sure' and not 'sher' and everyone says 'for' and not 'fer' maybe it's just an American thing to say 'Sher' and 'Fer' and maybe multiple other pronunciation things such as that, but in England people say both ' "This is FOR you" "What is this FOR?" and not '"This is FER you" "What is this FER?" it just sounds better in my ears to say 'sure' or 'for' and not 'sher' and 'fer'.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 695,578 times
Shore=sure

Old 08-10-2016, 07:25 PM

6,497 posts, read 4,076,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My friend said one that drives her nuts is on real estate sites--people use the term "rod iron" instead of "wrought iron". I was wondering how they could make such an error when "rod" and "wrought" don't even rhyme...and then I realized that in some parts of the country, they might.
Yes, that's the "cot/caught" merger. Common in vast parts of the country.

Sure is generally "sher" in California. Speaking slowly and making a point to enunciate, many people will say "shoor" (shoo + er, but not distinctly two syllables), but in normal speech, this usually gets reduced to "sher."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.