U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times

Advertisements

Here's another good website: Taxes by State: New York to Wyoming

In NY, military pensions aren't taxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 AM

943 posts, read 1,556,106 times
OOoo thanks for the link!! yay!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,512,585 times
I would definitely lean toward Pennsylvania. All of the states are beautiful- but I think PA would be the most affordable, PLUS it's exceptionally gorgeous

Old 07-16-2012, 01:47 PM

208 posts, read 707,973 times
We were thinking of PA also.
We recently bought a tiny one bedroom condo in South Florida so we would not have to battle the winters.
We thought about Northern NH and Maine.
All the family lives all over the NorthEast so we wanted a home to be closer to them during the summer.
Ohio and WV are a bit far, but I'll keep looking and please keep suggesting.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:49 PM

Is there a specific type of area or community that you are looking for?

Old 07-16-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interestingly, many of the affordable areas mentioned are on par with many Southern areas in terms of overall COL.
Here's one example, but I'll try to post more just so others don't think I'm making that statement up. Both are about the same size and are tourist towns in those states. I'll try to compare places that are similar: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

City of Southport, NC : Home

Thousand Islands – Clayton Chamber of Commerce Online Vacation Planner for the Thousand Islands Region

Both have around 2,000 people(Clayton as a village does).

Last edited by Yac; 07-18-2012 at 05:58 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is there a specific type of area or community that you are looking for?
rural would be ideal.

We live in a condo in Florida during the winter.

So a very small home (likely not over say... 2,100 sq. ft.) on maybe 5 or more acres. Rural, safe, small town.

Work is irrelevant since we are retired.
So a small town that is becoming abandoned because of lack of work, besides farming, etc., would be nice too.
(I don't want to sound insensitive when I say "I want to live in small town that is suffering because of no jobs", but usually those places have cheaper real estate).
For example, we bought our FL condo as a foreclosure from a high-rise complex that was bought up by investors before the economic crisis. It was unfortunate that someone lost their investment. But we were able to live in a wonderful area and only paid not over $140K for it. So now we have money to buy a home in the North for maybe $300K to $350K.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:52 AM

I thought this was a nice home that ticks all my criteria:

Mini Compound Opportunity - neighborhood Millerton NY 12546 - Sotheby's International Realty

Old 07-17-2012, 06:04 AM

943 posts, read 1,556,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpxexaxcxex View Post
Millerton, Rhinebeck is absolutely stupendous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..also in that same neck of the woods is Chatham, NY with its train to NYC.. Oh Yes!! what a place to be.. I'm a little envious just thinking about it.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpxexaxcxex View Post
rural would be ideal.

We live in a condo in Florida during the winter.

So a very small home (likely not over say... 2,100 sq. ft.) on maybe 5 or more acres. Rural, safe, small town.

Work is irrelevant since we are retired.
So a small town that is becoming abandoned because of lack of work, besides farming, etc., would be nice too.
(I don't want to sound insensitive when I say "I want to live in small town that is suffering because of no jobs", but usually those places have cheaper real estate).
For example, we bought our FL condo as a foreclosure from a high-rise complex that was bought up by investors before the economic crisis. It was unfortunate that someone lost their investment. But we were able to live in a wonderful area and only paid not over $140K for it. So now we have money to buy a home in the North for maybe $300K to $350K.
I know some may think of me a certain way about this, but I will post examples of some other homes in NY that you may like. Hopefully, people from the other states listed can do the same thing. You actually do not have to sacrifice being away from some nice towns here and you don't even have to go past 250k.

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S273817

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S270232

Nothnagle.com - Property Search Results
(great website in general)

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S275166

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S263066

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S274246

Here are some good websites to look at in terms of homes that may fit your criteria in Upstate NY: CNYHomes - Search Home Listings in Syracuse and Central New York

cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

Upstate New York Real Estate (Just pick a region and then make an advanced search)

Homes for sale in Utica, Rome and Central New York

Real Estate Property Search - RE/MAX North Country
Fesette Realty, LLC - Homes in Plattsburgh NY

If you buy a home here, make sure to challenge your assessment, look into STAR and other tax exemptions as well. I believe the post with the tax information gets into this and there are other websites that you can click on from there for more information.

You may also want to look into to this, as you may want to find a home in areas served by this. It can help reduce some costs as well: New York Power Authority: About Us

New York Power Authority Municipal and Cooperative Customers Map

Otsego Electric Cooperative Home Page

Oneida-Madison Cooperative Home Page

Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or