Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:53 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurb View Post
You'd have to be a complete Dumb @ss to get a ticket in Michigan. Traffic enforcement is far and few between. It's like a free for all there. Most of the natives there would rack up the tickets left and right if they drove the same way in a state like New York where you could be pulled over for sneezing the wrong way.
there is plenty of enforcement in michigan especially on the country highways. Even in detroit, michigan state police patrol the highway and since they're there ONLY for tickets, they love to patrol the 94, which has a ridiculous speed limit of 55mph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 PM

130 posts, read 165,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
there is plenty of enforcement in michigan especially on the country highways. Even in detroit, michigan state police patrol the highway and since they're there ONLY for tickets, they love to patrol the 94, which has a ridiculous speed limit of 55mph
That's not even close to being true. I've been all over the state and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen enforcement. Try driving the way you do(If you're a typical Michigander) in Ohio, New York or anywhere in the Northeast and report back to me.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
That's not even close to being true. I've been all over the state and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen enforcement. Try driving the way you do(If you're a typical Michigander) in Ohio, New York or anywhere in the Northeast and report back to me.
I've lived in so many places. Yes, ohio is worse but out west there are MANY better places. I myself have gotten more speeding tickets in Detroit (3) than my whole time in southern california (1 that I received in OC) even though I lived there maybe 10 times as long. Of course in Los Angeles it's practically impossible to speed but in San Diego, my average speed on the 5 is 100mph [speed limit: 65]. On the 94 (Detroit), it's about 75mph [speed limit: 55].

Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I've lived in so many places. Yes, ohio is worse but out west there are MANY better places. I myself have gotten more speeding tickets in Detroit (3) than my whole time in southern california (1 that I received in OC) even though I lived there maybe 10 times as long. Of course in Los Angeles it's practically impossible to speed but in San Diego, my average speed on the 5 is 100mph [speed limit: 65]. On the 94 (Detroit), it's about 75mph [speed limit: 55].
Well, you're obviously a bad driver, especially given your admission you averaged 100 MPH in other places. In the Detroit Area, if you're going 70 MPH, others pass you like you're standing still, and I've hardly ever seen anyone pulled over. Ditto for the stretch of 94 you're talking about.

I do find it hard to believe you got away with "averaging" 100 mph on the 5 without having a run in with The CHP(California Highway Patrol). They're virutally everywhere there.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Well, you're obviously a bad driver, especially given your admission you averaged 100 MPH in other places. In the Detroit Area, if you're going 70 MPH, others pass you like you're standing still, and I've hardly ever seen anyone pulled over. Ditto for the stretch of 94 you're talking about.
the 94 is pretty slow. I know because I drive it all the time. Even in the fast lane people average 60mph. Of course some people go faster, but not really. The 696 is where everyone drives like they actually have someplace to go but since it's so far north, I'm almost never on that freeway.

Why is averaging 100mph automatically a bad driver? I've been driving for 20+ years. I've driven in a whole host of countries. I driven trucks, motorcycles, and standards. I've driven for many years in congested cities. I'm much safer at 100mph than many people are at the speed limit as evidenced by my clean driving record (no accidents, tickets is another thing).

Do you drive the 94 in the city or in the boonies?

Last edited by PosterExtraordinaire; 07-24-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
the 94 is pretty slow. I know because I drive it all the time. Even in the fast lane people average 60mph. Of course some people go faster, but not really. The 696 is where everyone drives like they actually have someplace to go but since it's so far north, I'm almost never on that freeway.
Maybe during rush hour but otherwise, not so much. Also, I know a fair number of people who drive those roads in that area and none of them have ever received a ticket(or warning).

Quote:
Why is averaging 100mph automatically a bad driver? I've been driving for 20+ years. I've driven in a whole host of countries. I driven trucks, motorcycles, and standards. I've driven for many years in congested cities. I'm much safer at 100mph than many people are at the speed limit as evidenced by my clean driving record (no accidents, tickets is another thing).
Part of being a good driver is obeying the traffic laws. 70 MPH in a 65 MPH zone is one thing but 100 MPH(even in a 70 MPH zone) is just reckless, whether you think you're in control or not.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Maybe during rush hour but otherwise, not so much. Also, I know a fair number of people who drive those roads in that area and none of them have ever received a ticket(or warning).
The worse time to drive that road outside of rush hour is around 10-11pm. Everyone is so laid back, which is fine but pisses me off when they're laid back in the fast lane.

Quote:
Part of being a good driver is obeying the traffic laws. 70 MPH in a 65 MPH zone is one thing but 100 MPH(even in a 70 MPH zone) is just reckless, whether you think you're in control or not.
no speed is reckless. it depends on the driving condition and the driver. 100mph sounds fast but it's really not. Trucks average 95mph on the 10 on the stretch from el paso to just before san antonio. There were many times I averaged 120mph on that stretch and felt safer than going 50-60mph on certain roads in different conditions.

I never got a ticket on the 94 either. I got a ticket on Jefferson (70mph; speed limit 35, officer wrote 40mph this was 10 years ago). I got a ticket on 9 mile in ferndale (speed 50 mph, speed limit 25mph-this was in March of this year got it reduced to a obstructing traffic violation) and I got a speeding ticket on kerchival but I can't remember my speed or how much the ticket was for (this was 10+ years ago and since it was near an elementary school the judge gave me no mercy lol).

Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM

40 posts, read 57,172 times
Quote:
You'd have to be a complete Dumb @ss to get a ticket in Michigan. Traffic enforcement is far and few between. It's like a free for all there. Most of the natives there would rack up the tickets left and right if they drove the same way in a state like New York where you could be pulled over for sneezing the wrong way.

Go for a drive around the tourist towns in northwest Michigan in summer. There are cops all over.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:56 PM

40 posts, read 57,172 times
Quote:

I drive between Detroit and Cincinnati quite often at 75mph minimum. Try using a radar detector and CB radio.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat123 View Post
I drive between Detroit and Cincinnati quite often at 75mph minimum. Try using a radar detector and CB radio.
i drive the 94 everyday and see at least one, if not 2 people pulled over by the highway patrol every day. I'm guessing for speeding (since it's at 55mph, just about any speed is speeding lol). I go fast on that road too, but don't try and say no cops are there or it's a free for all. It ain't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.