Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Walkscore City Rankings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 08:09 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Hmm

Well I'd think

New York
Chicago
Boston
San Fran
Philly
DC

are places you can find lots of people living just fine without car.

I'd say NYC, Boston and San Fran are fairly pricy cities.

Maybe DC, Philly or Chicago? I've only lived in Chicago of those three, and I know it's a fairly cheap big city. I had a roommate and survived just fine here on 42K. That was maybe 8 years ago, but my old roommate only made 35K teaching and she did fine last year.
DC is more expensive than Boston...

Old 06-12-2009, 08:37 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

man, philly's numbers would be so much higher if it wasn't for the great northeast section of the city. its like suburban sprawl up there

Old 06-12-2009, 11:44 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
It totally depends where in the city you live.

I live in the suburbs of Portland, OR and I can say that living without a car would be doable, but annoying as hell. I mean the grocery store is a half hour walk and taking public transportation there would be impractical. Perhaps if you lives downtown you could, but nowhere else....

I have family friends who live in DC (capital hill) and get along fine without vehicles.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:43 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
man, philly's numbers would be so much higher if it wasn't for the great northeast section of the city. its like suburban sprawl up there
What's up with that? The Northeast just feels so much like it doesn't belong, unlike the South.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:10 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
What's up with that? The Northeast just feels so much like it doesn't belong, unlike the South.
yeah, it's definitely in its own world. i think it was incorporated into philadelphia city later. so, it was more of a separate town.

Northeast Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The first European settlement in the Northeast was by Swedish farmers, who emigrated there when the area was a part of the New Sweden colony.[1] They were followed by English Quakers, including Thomas Holme, who came to begin the settlement of William Penn's Pennsylvania colony in the late 1680s. In the years to follow, Northeast Philadelphia developed as a scattering of small towns and farms that were a part of the county, but not the city, of Philadelphia. Before consolidation with the city, what is now the Northeast consisted of the townships of Byberry, Delaware, Dublin, Holmesburg, Moreland, Oxford, Tacony, Torresdale and White Hall (largely rural areas); and the boroughs of Bridesburg and Frankford, which were more urbanized

A separate identity

Frankford and Cottman Avenues, a central location in the Northeast

In the 1980s, the Northeast developed along a separate path from much of the rest of the city. In addition to the racial differences mentioned above, the political climate in the Northeast was balanced evenly between Republicans and Democrats, while the rest of the city almost uniformly voted for the latter party. As a result, many Northeasters became more and more discontented with the high city taxes and a perceived imbalance in the services they received for them. This discontent grew to give rise to a secessionist movement, led by State Senator Hank Salvatore, among others. Salvatore introduced a bill in the State Senate to allow the Northeast to become a separate county called Liberty County, but the bill failed to progress beyond this stage. As the Philadelphia economy grew stronger, and the most discontented people fled to the suburbs, and a new, more popular mayor (Ed Rendell) was elected the call for secession waned, and the section settled back into life as a part of the city.[4]
Today, the Northeast enjoys greater racial balance and relative stability. The region is uniformly developed, but like many American urban communities, it has witnessed the loss of manufacturing, factory conversions to marginal retail "outlets," and growing vacancies along shopping avenues, especially in the southern part of the region. With the recent tax advantages granted to new construction within the city limits, the Northeast has seen a growth in residential units on nearly any patch of available land.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:42 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Umm, people keep missing Philadelphia. We have the third largest transit system in the US and the third most utilized. Seven regional rail trains, two subway lines, 10 trolley car lines and about a hundred bus lines.
Yeah, I grew up in Philly area. They do have decent transit. Although SEPTA always had a reputation as being poorly managed and at one point it was the most expensive place in the US to ride a bus (don't know if that's still true). And service in a lot of the suburbs was kinda spotty.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:45 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yeah, it's definitely in its own world. i think it was incorporated into philadelphia city later. so, it was more of a separate town.

Northeast Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Your post seems to show Northeast Philly has gone into decline, like the rest of Philadelphia, unfortunately.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:36 PM

1,012 posts, read 785,071 times
Atlantic city is pretty good too with out a car they have the jitneys which i love too. and Taxi cabs are everywhere and everything is walking distance

I would love to move somewhere with out depending on the car and just use a car when i have to do major shopping or visit someone. I hate driving

Old 06-14-2009, 12:16 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
[...] like the rest of Philadelphia, unfortunately.
Who'd you hear this from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.