U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,568 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm a former Teacher and now that my assignment is over I'm heading back home with all my stuff in a 10' or 16' Budget truck.

I'm currently planning a 3 day trip (10 hour driving days) back to NYC. It's not a road trip and I would like to get home as quickly and as safely as possible.

I'm currently considering the I-59 to I-81 (thanks for the info Kyle19125) or the I-40 to I-81 (may have to stop in Dallas).

Is there any other information that I give that would be useful in helping me out? I joined this forum because I saw someone else ask for help and the insights given were wonderful.

ds

Last edited by daisusaikoro; 07-17-2012 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 04:14 PM

21,206 posts, read 30,412,852 times
I've moved a number of times like yourself along the east coast and know it's a daunting task. For starters I would recommend the I-59 to I-81 route versus going I-85 through Atlanta and Charlotte which will ease a good bit of tension. The 10' Budget Trucks handle very well (non truck-like) so you should be able to make pretty good time in terms of moving with traffic, versus worrying about being run over by semi trucks and swerving fast-moving SUVs. When stopping for the night make sure you park in a well-lit area if staying in a hotel with interior access rooms. I would recommend when hauling your belongings to stay in one of the older-style roadside motels with exterior access rooms. It's much harder to break-in to a truck (or car) when the vehicle is in full view of rooms and where one can potentially hear it happening. Tuscaloosa, Alabama and Lexington, Virginia seem to be your 10 hour marks, so would recommend the Best Western Park Plaza in Tuscaloosa and the Best Western Lexington Inn in Lexington. I don't work for Best Western but find them to moving truck friendly when traveling. Ask for a ground floor room where you can see/access your truck easily. Hope this helps and good luck!

Tuscaloosa Hotel | Best Western Park Plaza Motor Inn | Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Lexington, VA hotels | BEST WESTERN Lexington Inn | Lexington hotel

Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I've moved a number of times like yourself along the east coast and know it's a daunting task. For starters I would recommend the I-59 to I-81 route versus going I-85 through Atlanta and Charlotte which will ease a good bit of tension. The 10' Budget Trucks handle very well (non truck-like) so you should be able to make pretty good time in terms of moving with traffic, versus worrying about being run over by semi trucks and swerving fast-moving SUVs. When stopping for the night make sure you park in a well-lit area if staying in a hotel with interior access rooms. I would recommend when hauling your belongings to stay in one of the older-style roadside motels with exterior access rooms. It's much harder to break-in to a truck (or car) when the vehicle is in full view of rooms and where one can potentially hear it happening. Tuscaloosa, Alabama and Lexington, Virginia seem to be your 10 hour marks, so would recommend the Best Western Park Plaza in Tuscaloosa and the Best Western Lexington Inn in Lexington. I don't work for Best Western but find them to moving truck friendly when traveling. Ask for a ground floor room where you can see/access your truck easily. Hope this helps and good luck!

Tuscaloosa Hotel | Best Western Park Plaza Motor Inn | Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Lexington, VA hotels | BEST WESTERN Lexington Inn | Lexington hotel

Wow, thank you for the quick reply. I've updated my original message with a little more info. I think I can get by with a 10' if I pack it tightly... though I may pick up some additional boxes for someone and have considered the 16' as well. Is there that significant of a difference between the two?

Also, accounting for the detour through Dallas would I hit the same marks? The route you described is one I've been very interested in as I've read how I81 is more suited for the type of trip I'm making.

ds

Old 07-18-2012, 07:34 AM

21,206 posts, read 30,412,852 times
The 10 foot and 16 foot options both share the same base which is usually the same model Ford van. The weight difference and handling/maneuverability isn't that significant unless you really load down the 16 foot version.

The Dallas detour would definitely change your itinerary, as it's 4 hours (or more) from Houston. You might consider leaving a day early and staying over in Dallas to start a full driving day from there, which places you in Nashville, Tennessee after 10 hours. The next day you might drive 9 hours which gets you to Harrisonburg, VA, leaving a 6 hour drive the final day and room for traffic nightmares in the NYC metro. More Best Westerns for this itinerary are below:

Garland, TX Hotel | BEST WESTERN Lakeview Inn | Texas Hotel

Kingston Springs, TN Hotels | BEST WESTERN Harpeth Inn | Tennessee Hotel

Harrisonburg Hotel | Best Western Harrisonburg Inn | Harrisonburg, Virginia

Old 07-20-2012, 04:11 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,782,157 times
Most people think they can fit their belongings in a 10' truck. As a former employee of Uhaul, get the bigger truck unless you lived in a studio apartment and threw away half of your things.
I would suggest I-59 to I-81 as well to bypass Charlanta traffic. Make sure you do NOT pass through Baton Rouge during the typical rush hours. It will add significant time to your trip. I-12/I-59 can be hectic as well during rush hour as its part of the New Orleans metro area.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 PM

225 posts, read 389,429 times
I have made quite a few long distance moves as well. I would recommend Penske trucks they have been the best I have used. Excellent vehicle, very new, clean, and well maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.