U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 PM

54 posts, read 98,682 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what you all think would be the best cities for me. Here are my priorities, ranked in order.

1a) Fun, friendly, social people - even with chatting up strangers

1b) Good dating prospects for men (lots of women, attractive women, both?)

7) The typical things that people like about cities - vibrant, scenic, restaurants, nightlife, weather

Here are the cities that have jumped out at me based on those priorities, and my initial impressions of them (please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know them that well. I've never even been to Atlanta!):

Atlanta- Friendly southerners, gorgeous "southern belle" type women, more women than men (or so I hear. Or is that only for black women? I'm not against dating black women, but I tend to be more attracted to white women. Yes, I'm a white guy)

Tampa- Less southern but people are still friendly. Even more gorgeous women but fewer "keeper" types. Lots of good looking guys too to compete with (at least fit meathead types). Seems tough to find a job, though. Hyde Park/South Tampa sounds fun, but not nearly as good as Atlanta on 7) typical city stuff. Big plus from the beaches, though.

My question: What do you all think of Atlanta and Tampa based on those priorities? Do you think any other cities that fit the bill? Why?

My background: 30 year old male, well-educated, good job, good looking but not omg he's sooo hot good looking (at least my Mom tells me I'm handsome! 5'10", fit but not built)

I'm from Michigan and really miss the laidback, friendly Midwestern lifestyle. I also had great experiences dating there and eventually ended up in a serious relationship (7 years). I moved to DC for career reasons (she followed not much later) and don't care for it. I've had enough elevator rides (and other situations) where I say "hello" or "good morning" with some pleasantries and get no response or find somebody hide in their phone. I've also had enough of looking at people when I walk by them and having them start looking at the ground.

The girlfriend and I broke up a couple years ago and I've found DC horrible for dating. DC seems like it should be good for dating - there are lots of women and looking around it doesn't seem bad - but the problem is that most women are already attached...to their jobs and their besties. I found Michigan to be much better than DC for dating, and Michigan is hardly known for its women or its dating scene.

Appreciate any and all thoughts, even if they're blunt. I can handle it.

Some places that strike me as less interesting:
New York City - Good for the women, not so good for the friendliness, I imagine
The entire Northeast - Ditto on the friendliness
Michigan - No jobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
I think if it's an option you threw NYC under the bus too quickly and should reassess. NYC is not unfriendly and those telling you so have been watching too much stereotypical TV and movie portrayals. It's the ultimate city in the sense that it offers so much to do and has a significant singles population of every personality or interest, as well as varying neighborhoods that have their own unique vibe and type of people living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or