U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 AM
 
10,630 posts, read 23,437,579 times
Reputation: 6703

Advertisements

Chicago is obviously much larger than, say, Minneapolis, but it's not the only city in the Midwest with immigrants, and I'm not sure that the old idea that Chicago has "many more" immigrants is still the case; 21% Chicago residents were born in a foreign country, for example, and while the number is smaller in Minneapolis, (15%), I don't think that's enough to proclaim such a huge difference. Minneapolis and Chicago are both clearly very different cities, but they are both also Midwestern. Just like Hartford and Boston are both very different, yet are both clearly New England cities.

In any case, I think the "only Chicago is 'worldly'" is an outdated stereotype. In recent years more recent immigrants are going to smaller mid-size cities instead of the big major traditional gateway cities, and cities like Minneapolis have seen their foreign-born populations explode in the past decade or so. Chicago clearly remains larger than other Midwestern cities, but no one suggests that New York City isn't Northeastern simply because it blows all other cities out of the water when it comes to its size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,536,473 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Minneapolis has always grown in population. It has shifted in rank because other cities have grown quicker. But that's different than what happened to many rust belt cities which actually DECLINED in raw numbers, not just rank. Minneapolis for example is not a rust belt city like duluth. Or, I don't think it is. Prove me wrong.
HAHAHA. Totally wrong! Done. Proven. Here you go: Minneapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look to the right, and eat your heart out. Peaked at 521,000 in the 1950 census.

Quote:
I'm sure *some* people from Wisconsin commute to the twin cities especially from northern wisconsin. But you can't argue with a straight face that minneapolis captures even 10% of wisconsites as chicago does.
Population of the two Wisconsin counties in Twin Cities metro: 125,364
Population of the one Wisconsin county in Chicago's metro: 166,426

And, if you'd prefer, just take a look at this handy-dandy map:
CommonCensus Map Project - Maps

So, no: I am not going to argue it....because somebody from a reputable agency actually did the research, gathered the results, and FREAKIN mapped it for us, so we wouldn't have to!

Quote:
lmao, I'm fine with that. I'm gonna need to trip out there to make a more informed argument for Minneapolis/great plains.
Well, I can't possibly fault you for that which you do not know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 AM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,536,473 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
East coasters view you as the midwest. People in the rest of the great lakes view you as similar kin.
Sorry, I've just met far too few Yupers, Rangers, Milwaukeeans and Chicagoans (related to quite a few, in fact) to ever believe this is true...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,637,945 times
Reputation: 2708
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Chicago is obviously much larger than, say, Minneapolis, but it's not the only city in the Midwest with immigrants, and I'm not sure that the old idea that Chicago has "many more" immigrants is still the case; 21% Chicago residents were born in a foreign country, for example, and while the number is smaller in Minneapolis, (15%), I don't think that's enough to proclaim such a huge difference. Minneapolis and Chicago are both clearly very different cities, but they are both also Midwestern. Just like Hartford and Boston are both very different, yet are both clearly New England cities.

In any case, I think the "only Chicago is 'worldly'" is an outdated stereotype. In recent years more recent immigrants are going to smaller mid-size cities instead of the big major traditional gateway cities, and cities like Minneapolis have seen their foreign-born populations explode in the past decade or so. Chicago clearly remains larger than other Midwestern cities, but no one suggests that New York City isn't Northeastern simply because it blows all other cities out of the water when it comes to its size.
I should have specified compared to great lakes cities. But even though Minneapolis has been gaining more in recent decades, it is not on the same level as Chicago due to the long history of immigration to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM
 
2,076 posts, read 3,083,332 times
Reputation: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Population of the two Wisconsin counties in Twin Cities metro: 125,364
Population of the one Wisconsin county in Chicago's metro: 166,426
so what, who is milwaukee closer to? Minneapolis or Chicago In fact even Green Bay is closer to Chicago than Minneapolis.

Last edited by PosterExtraordinaire; 07-24-2012 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 AM
 
2,076 posts, read 3,083,332 times
Reputation: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Sorry, I've just met far too few Yupers, Rangers, Milwaukeeans and Chicagoans (related to quite a few, in fact) to ever believe this is true...
So have I. In fact I lived in Detroit 10 years ago and moved again to Detroit this march (will move to Atlanta this weekend though). I know the rust belt a lot better than you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4,370 posts, read 5,154,148 times
Reputation: 3896
The most common thing about the midwest is centralized economies. Nearly every midwestern city (outside of maybe Minneapolis and Chicago) have a very general trend.

You grow up and go to high school -> turn 18 year old -> work at <insert prevelant employer> for the next 35 year -> retire -> die.

Life in the midwest is a lot less diversified than any other region. Sure this trend exist in SMALLER cities in all regions, but not in larger ones. Even in the larger midwest cities, this entire idea of a linear path is quite common. If you plan to live in the midwest, you better be working at X company who is responsible for 75% of the employment there.

I'm from Kansas City, and if you aren't with the city, the county, Hallmark, the post office, or Sprint, then you're struggling to find a job. I can think of SO many people I know from the midwest who comes from cities very similar. Detroit is another great example of this.

This is the main reason why there is a lot of crime in the midwest. When these manufacturing plants started either moving out of state, or overseas, and other employers stopped investing as much in the local economy, a lot of people sense of life were destroyed. That's why the midwest is holding down the murder rate in this country. You have a part of the country that has no industry, and there is nearly no way to make money.

The midwest is in a really bad situation right now economically. Even big cities like Chicago can't shake this "wild wild west" cowboy culture that exist in the midwest. Seems like you're either shooting someone or getting shot if you live in the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 12:57 PM
 
2,076 posts, read 3,083,332 times
Reputation: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Detroit is another great example of this.
Detroit is more of a one-industry city than most cities her size but what you say really isn't true. Detroit has a lot of white collar jobs from engineering, computer programming, to mortgages etc all generated by the auto industry. Then of course is the law industry and medicine which support the large population. What I'm trying to say is that life doesn't begin or end in Detroit with being a big 3 assembly line worker. Detroit also has a big educational base due to all the engineers. In the city limits, it has Wayne State University which is a research institution and has a big medical center. In the metro (dearborn) it has a satellite campus of UMich. And the actual campus of Umich in Ann Arbor is only located about 30 minuters from giant detroit suburbs like livonia, dearborn and maybe only 15-20 minutes from the far western suburbs like romulus. As far as I'm concerned, Ann Arbor is part of the metro.

What separates Chicago from Detroit is that Chicago is the banking/finance hub and transportation center for the midwest. That's it, though arguable those areas are very important and they prevented Chicago from being a 'true' rust belt city. But only a few cities in the USA can even consider themselves to be banking/finance hubs. After NYC, we got Chicago, the bay area (centered in San Francisco), Miami, and DC straggling behind. I may throw Philadelphia and Boston in there too. But that's it, not even Los Angeles is a major banking/finance hub.

When I lived in San Diego, I had the feeling San Diego was more of a one trick pony than Detroit. Other than the military complex (which also exists in Detroit!), there was Qualcomm and the biotech industry centered around UCSD. Most people with engineering degrees relocate to either Los Angeles or better yet: the Bay. It's really difficult for people to remain in San Diego with such a degree unless they get that spot with Qualcomm or one of the smaller companies. And of course San Diego is considered a safe city, it's also smaller than Detroit (metro area).

Of course, San Diego is not even the worst. Try such cities like Miami (larger than Detroit), New Orleans (smaller), or worse yet Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,536,473 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
so what, who is milwaukee closer to? Minneapolis or Chicago In fact even Green Bay is closer to Chicago than Minneapolis.
What is your point? Did you read the rest of my post, as well?

The focal point for Wisconsinites in Milwaukee and Green Bay is probably either Milwaukee or Green Bay. They are, after all, major cities. Nobody from Milwaukee thinks of Chicago as "the city" and goes there routinely for work or pleasure (although there is some daily migration between fringe suburbs on both the Wisconsin and Illinois sides).....they think of Milwaukee as "the city." Your claim that only 10% as many Wisconsinites will identify with the TC as identify with Chicago is really asinine, sorry. I'm really just getting the impression that you don't have enough experience in Wisconsin outside Milwaukee maybe to stake that claim...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,536,473 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
So have I. In fact I lived in Detroit 10 years ago and moved again to Detroit this march (will move to Atlanta this weekend though). I know the rust belt a lot better than you
#1. You might or might not. Your experience living in one city in the Rust Belt may or may not trump my experience living in a different Rust Belt city, plus the sum of my experiences visiting decidedly Rust Belt cities for family or other purposes, as well (Duluth, Moline, and Toledo come to mind). However...

#2. This isn't about the Rust Belt, is it??? It's about the 'Great Lakes'. Please don't tell me you've made the mistake of confusing the two.....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top