U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,021,775 times
Reputation: 1798

Advertisements

usually the people are: politically moderate, Mainline Protestant or Catholic, they have some German in them, and they're nice?

Yeah, this is a tough one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,082,247 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
What is a common thread that makes Bismarck, North Dakota and Akron, Ohio both Midwestern? Would you say it's the farming/blue collar roots of the places? The relatively level terrain? The average personality traits?

We all march to the same drummer, are all extremely conservative, all have blue collar roots, and all live in the plains, on a farm. There. Now, tell me about how you're the same as everyone where YOU live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 PM
 
313 posts, read 287,123 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by argot View Post
Small farm towns and industrial cities, slow pace of life (but not as slow as the South)

The Northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM
 
313 posts, read 287,123 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
We all march to the same drummer, are all extremely conservative, all have blue collar roots, and all live in the plains, on a farm. There. Now, tell me about how you're the same as everyone where YOU live.

I dont see how these traits are any different in the Northeast outside of Boston, NYC and Philly, and im from the Northeast.

It couldve been more specific or went further though.

Most people from the Midwest are some of the most grounded ive ever met. I see a lot of similarities between Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northern Illinois and Upstate NY. Ohio and PA too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 PM
 
160 posts, read 335,996 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
The Northeast?
The northeast has a slow pace of life? If so, that's news to me.

And obviously farming is somewhat prevalent everywhere, but moreso in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,408 posts, read 21,974,288 times
Reputation: 33703
each and every one of us can trace our lineage back to these two (from wiki)....





























Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,538,252 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
I dont see how these traits are any different in the Northeast outside of Boston, NYC and Philly, and im from the Northeast.

It couldve been more specific or went further though.

Most people from the Midwest are some of the most grounded ive ever met. I see a lot of similarities between Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northern Illinois and Upstate NY. Ohio and PA too.
The poster was being sarcastic. That's what we call "sarcasm" in the Midwest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Michigan
4,571 posts, read 7,049,142 times
Reputation: 3600
Most Midwesterners feel like it's the twilight zone when there's a winter without snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 08:41 PM
 
313 posts, read 287,123 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by argot View Post
The northeast has a slow pace of life? If so, that's news to me.

And obviously farming is somewhat prevalent everywhere, but moreso in the Midwest.

Ever been to Upstate NY? PA? South Jersey? New England?

Yeah, id say its no different than the Midwest. Slow pace.


Farming more prevalent in the Midwest? You dont say.

You ever think that happens because its 4x, 5x as large?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 PM
 
313 posts, read 287,123 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
The poster was being sarcastic. That's what we call "sarcasm" in the Midwest...

Yeah, no ****, but I was responding in an "actually..." type manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top