U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 PM

425 posts, read 287,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I think the idea of the interior northeast exists to most of the people who have lived in it. When I was growing up in upstate New York (Utica) I considered my self an easterner but not an east coaster, we were the other northeast. Having lived in the Midwest for much of my life (Minneapolis and Chicago) I would never consider the interior northeast to be part of the Midwest but I think it is reasonable to make the case that northeastern Ohio is acutally part of the interior northeast or is a transition zone between it and the Midwest.

Exactly.

PosterExtraordinaire really has no idea what hes talking about, and he doesnt understand that you have to live in these Upstate cities to really see what we mean.

If you are born and raised there, its about how you view the rest of the country, or where you stand culturally with the rest of the country.

Im from Utica too, and never are we ever considered Midwest, or see ourselves that way. Utica is the same longitude as Philadelphia, and shares virtually the same demographics. Is Philadelphia Midwest?

The Rustbelt spans many regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
The only reason those people from rochester and buffalo are even saying northeastern ohio is a transition zone between the northeast and midwest is because northeastern ohio reminds them unmistakably of home and they're so adamant about their eastern credentials they have to say that

In reality the transition between the east coast and midwest occurs around Syracuse.

Midwestern culturally is exactly what I mean. He probably means it's in the northeast geographically because it's in the state of NY. Which makes no sense, it's a great lakes city.

You have no ****ing clue what youre talking about, whatsoever. Just stop.

If you were to go to Syracuse and tell people in the city that, youd be laughed at or just confuse the **** outta people. You might as well go to Atlanta and tell everyone theyre white.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I think Buffalo still has a lot of ties to New York and Albany. In the end, I think if a place thinks it is Midwestern, that's what it is. If it thinks it's Northeastern, I'd agree with that too.

Exactly.

Its all about what the people that live there, think.

You dont fully gauge their views relative to the outside until you actually live there.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I think the idea of the interior northeast exists to most of the people who have lived in it. When I was growing up in upstate New York (Utica) I considered my self an easterner but not an east coaster, we were the other northeast. Having lived in the Midwest for much of my life (Minneapolis and Chicago) I would never consider the interior northeast to be part of the Midwest but I think it is reasonable to make the case that northeastern Ohio is acutally part of the interior northeast or is a transition zone between it and the Midwest.
I think there are definite similarities between the two, but Utica is still Northeast, and they are Midwest.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:31 PM

13,228 posts, read 18,040,785 times
The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81. The Midwest does not begin at I-81...

Old 09-14-2012, 05:08 PM

21,478 posts, read 22,043,861 times
Quote:
...In reality the transition between the east coast and midwest occurs around Syracuse...
congratulations for earning the "Most Ignorant Statement of This Thread Award"

Old 09-14-2012, 10:53 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,091,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
congratulations for earning the "Most Ignorant Statement of This Thread Award"
lol since a lot of people found it so strange, I googled it to see if I was off base and lol I found another CD thread!

Is Syracuse "midwestern friendly" or "northeastern rat race"?

Vintage Sunlight:

Quote:
My question is: Is this Midwestern friendliness present in Syracuse? I considered Albany initially due to the distance back to NJ, but Albany seemed to be, although nicer than here, lets just say Northeastern in feel. New England, a bit cold. I know Buffalo and Rochester are Midwestern in feel, but I cannot live that far out. I'm really trying to escape the NYC/Long Island/Philly/NJ sphere of influence and I'm wondering if Syracuse is far enough away to not be sucked into this black hole.
proulxfamily:

Quote:
I'd say it's a comfortable hybrid of both. Midwestern-friendly meets straightforward (but without contentiousness.) Definitely not any kind of rat race.
RollsRoyce:

Quote:
I've always thought Syracuse was a hybrid of the midwest and northeast, almost a confluence of these these two distinct regions and cultures, if you will. The regional dialect is consistent with midwestern english (ie. Great Lakes cities like Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Toledo, Buffalo, and Rochester). The only difference is Syracusans say "soda" instead of "pop" which is common in western New York. Having lived in both the Syracuse area and Westchester County / New York City, Central New Yorkers compared with their midwestern counterparts are more direct and as "Proulxfamily" says, "tell-it-like-it-is."
I could go on but why bother? To me, Syracruse always felt midwestern. Seems like I'm not alone. Everything from the first page, didn't bother going to the second.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:47 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,070,245 times
The problem is that people think that New York City defines the entire northeast when really it is just a place in a larger region. There is no rat race is western Mass., or the Adirondaks or Maine. So they must be Midwestern, right?

Of course the answer is no. The northeast also has smaller cities and rural areas, just like the other regions of the country. They don't suddenly become Midwestern just because they aren't Manhatten.

Also, living in Minneapolis it is funny to see people on the coast use Midwestern as a term of derision for places. I don't think they realize that Midwestern means many things, some parts of the Midwest are more sophisticated than large swathes of the east coast.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:54 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,091,155 times
Quote:
The problem is that people think that New York City, Philadelphia and Boston define the entire northeast when really they are just places in a larger region. There is no rat race is western Mass., or the Adirondaks or Maine. So they must be Midwestern, right?

Of course the answer is no. The northeast also has smaller cities and rural areas, just like the other regions of the country. They don't suddenly become Midwestern just because they aren't Manhatten.

Living in Minneapolis it is funny to see people on the coast use Midwestern as a term of derision for places like Pittsburgh. Especially when people from Philly do it, because much of Philly is pretty redneck compared to Minneapolis. I don't think they realize that Midwestern means many things.
Yes, I know that and so did he. Notice he made the exception for Albany. This isn't a mega city = northeast. Small city = midwest thing.

In reality, I always found these US regions things hard to discuss. Back in California, there are many small towns that coulda been anywhere in Idaho or Kansas. The regions West/midwest/south/northeast are so overwhelmingly similar to me that I basically go by accent, scenery and maybe food. With such considerations I can see why a small place like Manchester, New Hampshire can be considered northeast while a place like Rochester, New York is not.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,651,079 times
Quote:
Yes, I know that and so did he. Notice he made the exception for Albany. This isn't a mega city = northeast. Small city = midwest thing.

In reality, I always found these US regions things hard to discuss. Back in California, there are many small towns that coulda been anywhere in Idaho or Kansas. The regions West/midwest/south/northeast are so overwhelmingly similar to me that I basically go by accent, scenery and maybe food. With such considerations I can see why a small place like Manchester, New Hampshire can be considered northeast while a place like Rochester, New York is not.
According to multiple people posting here who have actually spent time in the region, you are wrong. You seem to be the only one still trying to support your failing argument. You quoted a thread about Syracuse being "midwestern friendly", not Midwestern. There is a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or