Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:32 PM

456 posts, read 832,782 times

Advertisements

So let's say there are some out-of-state undegraduate, college Students, studying in your state for 4 years. Their permanent residence is still with their address in their previous state, where their parents live. They go back to their previous state/permanent address during holidays and some weekends, etc. Do you consider such students to be from your state? what would they have to do to be considered "from your state"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
They would have to establish a legal residence in our state and become permanent citizens. Students paying out-of-state tuition are from somewhere else. We had a neighbor move in once that had a daughter of college age that had to wait a year to start college so she could establish in-state status and not have to pay out-of-state tuition.

I also think these students should have to get absentee ballots to vote since they are not legal residents of our state. I think we had a lot of illegal students voting in our last presidental election that changed the election in our state. Those students are no longer here. Hopefully we will get some better rules for things like this before the next election but I doubt it. That is one reason to require a person to furnish a picture ID; so we will have North Carolina residents only to be voting in our state elections.

The same thing should happen for service personnel that live here but have legal residence somewhere else. If their home state is Texas so they don't have to pay income tax to our state then they should be voting in Texas. I doubt this happens too.

It is my opinion that a lot of votes in North Carolina are not done by North Carolina residents. The thing I really wonder is how many of these votes come from those that are not even citizens of this nation.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,567 times
Nope. If they have an actual permanent residence there, then yes, but being there for college, I don't count them as residents.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:18 AM

456 posts, read 832,782 times
I'm assuming living in dormitory is not considered permanent residence?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:20 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
I wouldn't but I live in Iowa however, I am from Illinois and I will always be from Illinois no matter how many years I live in any state outside of Illinois.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:19 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,954,864 times
"From" means you were raised in the state. Had a majority of your life in that state. 4 years is not "from". I've been in NC for 3 years and a permanent resident but would never consider myself "from" NC. I am from SC and live in NC. Just like my dad. Moved to SC at the age of 19 from NJ/NY and he is a northerner til the day he dies lol.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:37 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I wouldn't but I live in Iowa however, I am from Illinois and I will always be from Illinois no matter how many years I live in any state outside of Illinois.
Coulda mistaken you for a New Yorker!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
I graduated from high school in Wisconsin, and immediately went to college in Louisiana. I considered myself a resident of Louisiana the day I got there. I had no intention of ever living in Wisconsin again, although I visited my parents on school holidays and summer vacation, and as it turned out, I did live there again for about 5 months when I was out of school. I was a resident of Louisiana as soon as I started getting my mail at a Louisiana address, and my first drivers license was Louisiana, and I would have registered to vote in Louisiana, except you had to be 21 in those days. My college job was subject to Louisiana state income tax deductions, and I had to obey the laws of Louisiana. But I was still required to pay out-of-state tuition, but I can understand that because the source of funds for my school fees had never been taxed by Louisiana, so that entitlement had never been earned.

What state people are from is not for me to decide -- they are from whatever state they say they are from. Legally, they might not necessarily have a claim to all the benefits citizenship or residency, but a person is from wherever he is, unless he has some definite intention to return to some place else as a permanent place of residence. In Louisiana, I lived in a dorm, which is the same as homeless shelter, and I still lived where I slept.

I disagree with the rules about voting. I think every person ought to have the right to vote in the place where he sleeps at night and is subject to obey the laws and pay taxes, regardless of whether he is a citizen or "legal" resident or not. Everyone who is held to the responsibility of a member of the community or nation is entitled to its benefits.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-24-2012 at 05:42 AM..

Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Coulda mistaken you for a New Yorker!
Why?

I've never been to New York and actually have never had the desire to go there. The photos I've seen are good enough for me. It looks pretty with the snow and all the Christmas Lights up on postcards and photos though.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
I don't consider people who have lived in my state for 10 years to be "from" my state. I call them long term residents, perhaps. Maybe when they have lived in my state for more years than the state they came from, I would call them, "from" my state.

I don't even consider myself "from" my state and I have lived here for 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.