Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I wouldn't expect a completely black-and-white divide. I also agree that Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland are transitional. I've just come to the idea that while the first two are more Midwest-like, they're still in the Northeast, while Cleveland is considered pretty much by everyone that it's in the Midwest.

No one said to me that Buffalo is Midwestern. There's an article about the Midwest and the author got some complaints for not including Buffalo. For what it's worth, it has the Northern accent and it's part of the same glacial plane that formed the Midwest. But it's also strongly tied to the Northeast, so I'm fine with that definition.
I love how Pittsburgh is in the east; a metro area that almost straddles the Ohio border and Cleveland is so midwest being a metro area the eastern edges of which are close to the Pennsylvania border. As soon as people driving from the east enter Ohio on I-90, I-80 etc. it becomes ''this is so midwest" and ''it's so different here'' or ''where are we?"; meanwhile the topography etc hasn't changed at all and really doesn't flatten out until west of Cleveland and certainly southeast Ohio is hilly and appalachian. Cleveland is closer to Pittsburgh than it is to Cincinnati and maybe Columbus. Comparing Akron with a city in the Dakotas is so misplaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 10:37 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I spent enough time to know that they think they're northeast. but that really isn't important. Self-identification is only 50% of the issue. The other 50% is how everyone else identifies you.

Being the midwest is sort of like being chicken. When you can't really describe the taste, you say it tastes like Chicken. The south has a very distinct culture for american standards while the northeast and the west coast both have a desirability factor to living there. The midwest has neither, it's rather vanilla and hard to identify. Sort of like the cities Rochester and Buffalo and even Syracuse.

Let me enter in Pittsburgh here, though I feel Pittsburgh more of an Appalachian city before it is midwest (but again definitely not northeastern). Since my sister lives there, I go there semi-often (well lol, haven't been for years but used to go more) and have some friends there. A lot of them identify as northeasterners but don't correct me when I make remarks when I point out that to me it feels more midwestern than eastern. In their hearts they know they're wrong
you keep showing your ignorance of the NY cities. The upstate cities are very distinct.. They have features such as their own food and slang words. If you have a hard time identifying which city is which, you are truly clueless.
It's very cool to know that you have psychic abilities to be able to know what people are feeling in their hearts though. Awesome trait to have.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:42 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
you keep showing your ignorance of the NY cities. The upstate cities are very distinct.. They have features such as their own food and slang words. If you have a hard time identifying which city is which, you are truly clueless.
It's very cool to know that you have psychic abilities to be able to know what people are feeling in their hearts though. Awesome trait to have.
I'm sure someone will say every city in the USA is distinct with her own slang words, food. Everyone is special in the USofA

For a native, maybe you notice this minute differences a bit. But that's not all there is to it. Like I said, self-identification is only 50%. I'm sure someone will say all those mundane Ohio cities are distinct too. I mean, in a way Columbus, Cinci, and Cleveland are much more distinct than Roch, Buffalo, or Syracuse.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I'm sure someone will say every city in the USA is distinct with her own slang words, food. Everyone is special in the USofA

For a native, maybe you notice this minute differences a bit. But that's not all there is to it. Like I said, self-identification is only 50%. I'm sure someone will say all those mundane Ohio cities are distinct too. I mean, in a way Columbus, Cinci, and Cleveland are much more distinct than Roch, Buffalo, or Syracuse.
yes they are. Cinci seems to have a southern influence, Columbus seems more "new" and Cleveland is more gritty and rust belt. Roch Buffalo, Syracuse and Albany are more similar.... But comparing the upstate cities to cities in Ohio or other midwestern states, there is a large difference that is noticeable from spending 10 minutes in the area.
Using your flawed logic other smaller cities such as Providence, Springfield, and New Haven are midwestern too.
Slang and local cuisine really stick out in a city, making it distinct from anybody with half a brain.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Using your flawed logic other smaller cities such as Providence, Springfield, and New Haven are midwestern too.
I'm tired of such idiotic responses. I made it clear, and I will do it for the last time, that this ain't small city = midwestern thing.

I have no idea about Springfield but New Haven nor Providence never felt midwestern to me. **** it, neither did Manchester and it ain't on the coast either!

All those upstate people feel midwestern to me because well, you guys quite frankly are. I don't care if a city has 5 people or 2 million, this is about feel nothing else. I never imposed some criteria that you guys keep trotting out (like it has to be big, or on the atlantic) so stop entering it into the conversation.

Stop assembling strawmans to pat yourself on the back.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I'm tired of such idiotic responses. I made it clear, and I will do it for the last time, that this ain't small city = midwestern thing.

I have no idea about Springfield but New Haven nor Providence never felt midwestern to me. **** it, neither did Manchester and it ain't on the coast either!

All those upstate people feel midwestern to me because well, you guys quite frankly are. I don't care if a city has 5 people or 2 million, this is about feel nothing else. I never imposed some criteria that you guys keep trotting out (like it has to be big, or on the atlantic) so stop entering it into the conversation.

Stop assembling strawmans to pat yourself on the back.
So basically your argument comes down to "because I said so" while writing off several factors mentioned because it does not fit your flawed line of thinking.
And by the way, you did use the term "east coast" a few times in this thread when trying to prove your point, so you are the one that entered the coastal factor.
You logic is extremely flawed and I have not met one person in real life(from NY or outside of NY) that shares your opinion.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:12 AM

425 posts, read 371,236 times
Quote:
I spent enough time to know that they think they're northeast. but that really isn't important. Self-identification is only 50% of the issue. The other 50% is how everyone else identifies you.

Being the midwest is sort of like being chicken. When you can't really describe the taste, you say it tastes like Chicken. The south has a very distinct culture for american standards while the northeast and the west coast both have a desirability factor to living there. The midwest has neither, it's rather vanilla and hard to identify. Sort of like the cities Rochester and Buffalo and even Syracuse.

Let me enter in Pittsburgh here, though I feel Pittsburgh more of an Appalachian city before it is midwest (but again definitely not northeastern). Since my sister lives there, I go there semi-often (well lol, haven't been for years but used to go more) and have some friends there. A lot of them identify as northeasterners but don't correct me when I make remarks when I point out that to me it feels more midwestern than eastern. In their hearts they know they're wrong

This makes no sense. Most Americans have never been to most of the country, so why the hell would you take their opinion on a place theyve never been to?

You really think you know these cities better than the people who live there themselves?

Thats all it boils down to, and its ****ing hysterical.

Your point is probably one of the worst I have ever seen in a debate.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
So basically your argument comes down to "because I said so" while writing off several factors mentioned because it does not fit your flawed line of thinking.
And by the way, you did use the term "east coast" a few times in this thread when trying to prove your point, so you are the one that entered the coastal factor.
You logic is extremely flawed and I have not met one person in real life(from NY or outside of NY) that shares your opinion.
There is no logic to classify these things. This is not a math test where you trot out your calculator and projector

LOL really, and there is no other factor when discussing prevailing culture. What can I do? How a place feels to me is how the place feels to me. But I'm going to start a thread and poll CD. Rochester is more similar to Cleveland or __________ ? Pick a northeastern city to go up against. I'd be happy to put down Providence or New Haven but then the poll would be lopsided and you know that. How about Manchester? How many people know about Manchester though

Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
This makes no sense. Most Americans have never been to most of the country, so why the hell would you take their opinion on a place theyve never been to?

You really think you know these cities better than the people who live there themselves?

Thats all it boils down to, and its ****ing hysterical.

Your point is probably one of the worst I have ever seen in a debate.
I don't care what the rest of americans think. I care what I think, and I've been there and "by gee golly ya guys" are midwestern.

A fat girl can tell me she's skinny, still doesn't make me like her.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 AM

425 posts, read 371,236 times
Quote:
There is no logic to classify these things. This is not a math test where you trot out your calculator and projector

LOL really, and there is no other factor when discussing prevailing culture. What can I do? How a place feels to me is how the place feels to me. But I'm going to start a thread and poll CD. Rochester is more similar to Cleveland or __________ ? Pick a northeastern city to go up against. I'd be happy to put down Providence or New Haven but then the poll would be lopsided and you know that. How about Manchester? How many people know about Manchester though

Your "feeling" is retarded.

Its like me saying Buffalo feels like Canada, thus its Canada.

Los Angeles feels like Atlanta, so its Atlanta, or something else extremely ****ing off base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.