U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 PM
 
Location: The heart of Cascadia
1,328 posts, read 2,651,067 times
Reputation: 815

Advertisements

What is a common thread that makes Bismarck, North Dakota and Akron, Ohio both Midwestern? Would you say it's the farming/blue collar roots of the places? The relatively level terrain? The average personality traits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
189 posts, read 341,143 times
Reputation: 196
The fact that the average ignorant American scoffs at the area without ever visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,678,233 times
Reputation: 6603
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkenstein91 View Post
The fact that the average ignorant American scoffs at the area without ever visiting.
Hahaha yup this is what I thought of too. I'm guilty of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,268 posts, read 5,486,452 times
Reputation: 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
The relatively level terrain?
Is Nebraska like Florida...? They both are pretty flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
The average personality traits?
What in the world does this statement really mean, and how to you gauge something like "average personality traits"...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 03:15 PM
 
Location: not Chicagoland
1,202 posts, read 1,028,012 times
Reputation: 424
Agriculture is prevalent throughout the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 03:22 PM
 
Location: The heart of Cascadia
1,328 posts, read 2,651,067 times
Reputation: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post


What in the world does this statement really mean, and how to you gauge something like "average personality traits"...?
Well just like how residents of a place would score on gregariousness, conscentiousness, outgoingness, etc. I know it's politically correct and popular to say geography makes no difference in the tendency of a society to have certain psychological traits but facts say otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Chicago (from pittsburgh)
3,698 posts, read 4,534,237 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Agriculture is prevalent throughout the Midwest.
It's very prevalent in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and South too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 03:32 PM
 
160 posts, read 335,386 times
Reputation: 203
Small farm towns and industrial cities, slow pace of life (but not as slow as the South), um... friendliness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM
 
Location: the dairyland
1,195 posts, read 1,927,364 times
Reputation: 1570
The location - north-central US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM
 
Location: IN
20,853 posts, read 35,970,544 times
Reputation: 13304
The fact that it takes money to get to the mountains or coast from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top