U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 PM

582 posts, read 776,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchi60630 View Post
so why do accents exist anyways? whats wrong with phonetically correct proper english,
Languages are living, changing things and all accents are the "proper English" for their particular dialect. There is really no correct way to speak English no matter how many high school teachers insist on the "rules".

Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 PM

19 posts, read 25,083 times
I grew up in the military. My dad was born in central Minnesota and my mom was born in California. I live in lots of different places when I was younger until my dad retired from the military when I was eight and we moved to California, I lived there for a few years and I'd like to think I didn't have a strong accent of any particular kind at all. Then I moved to central Minnesota and got a shock when entering fifth grade. Minnesota has a very strong accent, but it's definitely not as strong as what you would think of when watching movies that have that stereotypical Minnesotan accent.

I've lived up in Northern Minnesota for about five years now and though I'm pretty sure I say a lot of things that Minnesotans say a lot of (Such as "I suppose" "Alrighty" "You know"), I still don't have a strong accent like my friends. And living on the border to Canada, it's very different then southern Minnesota. I know when traveling down to the Twin Cities, it's obvious that we talk a lot slower then them.

I think my biggest pet peeve of the Minnesotan accent that I still to this day have trouble getting over, is when instead of say 'bag' or 'flag' or 'tag' they pronounce it 'beg' 'fleg' and 'teg'. It drives me nuts!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,671,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Boston is pretty grating.
So is that Call Me Maybe song.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:44 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,899,717 times
A strong St. Louis accent is pretty annoying to me. Corn has an O in it, not an A.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:43 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,228,729 times
I am definitely not a big fan of the Southern accent, although on occasion it can actually make a girl more appealing for some reason to me. I'm not sure if it's the southern accent so much as it is the hillbilly country accent that really annoys me. It shows up in the southern Midwest as well as in the South.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I am definitely not a big fan of the Southern accent, although on occasion it can actually make a girl more appealing for some reason to me. I'm not sure if it's the southern accent so much as it is the hillbilly country accent that really annoys me. It shows up in the southern Midwest as well as in the South.
Seems like a lot of guys who don't like the southern accent are attracted to chicks with southern accents though. I wonder if southern chicks would like my northern accent...

Old 08-04-2012, 03:46 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,228,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
A strong St. Louis accent is pretty annoying to me. Corn has an O in it, not an A.
hehehe yeah I gotta admit it can get annoying at times. Quarter=Quawwwrter, Forty=Farty, Forest Park=Farest Park. The good news for you is that the St. Louis accent is virtually non-existent among the younger generations...the Northern Cities shift has virtually killed it beyond the Baby Boomers. It will one day be extinct. I was raised close to the city limits and show virtually zero traces of it. My friend's dad has a strong St. Louis accent, but he himself has no accent.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM

20,976 posts, read 16,265,689 times
North Jersey/New York

Old 08-05-2012, 05:04 AM

821 posts, read 1,254,441 times
For some reason, the accents spoken in the "Northern Cities Vowel Shift" cities annoy me which include Cleveland, Chicago, Rochester, Buffalo, etc. Some people in that region think they have no accent but it is very distinct.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
For some reason, the accents spoken in the "Northern Cities Vowel Shift" cities annoy me which include Cleveland, Chicago, Rochester, Buffalo, etc. Some people in that region think they have no accent but it is very distinct.
No one thinks they have an accent lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or