U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 07:57 PM

208 posts, read 707,705 times

Advertisements

That stupid accent that dummy Michele Bachman used to talk made my ears bleed.
Upper Midwest accent.
Ugh!!!!

THA BERZ!!!!! (the bears)

Old 08-10-2012, 02:48 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,505,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Lots of people in cities don't have an accent that's specific to that city, they just have the general accent of that region. I can't listen to his accent and know that he's specifically from St. Louis. There are people in New Jersey, Chicago, New York and Ohio who talk like that.

And St. Louis is in the Midwest, but it's the Southernmost extension of the Northern Cities Vowel Shift. So the accent is far from Southern, even though St. Louis is close to the South. St. Louis' old accent is Midwestern, without the NCVS influence
So you are saying that in the USA the regions just have accents and not the towns? I had thought that because certain places have accents that sound the exact same for example chicago sounds the same as some new york accents to be honest.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,666,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedisciple View Post
Definately Boston. The problem with Boston accents is that unlike New York, they sound normal 80 percent of the time and then out of nowhere a vowel will come out and smack you right across the face
Hahaha so true man, so true.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:27 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,159,195 times
Boston and New York. Certain areas of the south are pretty annoying too.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:28 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,117,044 times
New Orleans

Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,798,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
New Orleans
You might be on your own with that one. The New Orleans dialects are quite possibly the most admired accents in America.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You might be on your own with that one. The New Orleans dialects are quite possibly the most admired accents in America.
Nah, I agree with him. Just because you thinks that an accent is highly admired, doesn't mean that it is. A lot of people admire the Southern accent, but then a lot of people hate it. Everyone's different.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,026,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Reminds me of this (handwritten note by Michael Jackson)
Is this a joke because Michael Jackson was from Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Too funny but I noticed this first when I moved to Portland OR back in the 70's. I couldn't tell the difference between the pronounciation between "pin" and "pen." But I never ran into that when I lived in Chicago. Also people here seemed to put a "t" in the word "across" as in "accrosst." The people who had lived here all their lives seemed to speak with a sort of twang to their voices. A Western sort of twang. Like cowboy.

Now many of them thought I had an Eastern accent. But I think I had a distinctive Chicago accent. As in parrrk rather than prk not pahk. Or "hammahch" rather than "hammick". My "a's" were all "ahhhhhh's" theirs were short "ah's'". But I didn't do the Chicago "Dee's," "dem's" and "doe's" for these, thems and those as my nephew does.

I find that people here in the PNW and West Coast in general tell me that they do not have accents while the rest of the country does. H'mm. I would disagree.
The "Superfan" Chicago accent is so over done. People don't really talk like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
The Upper Midwestern/Sara Palin whatever accent is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Sarah Palin is from Alaska not the Upper Midwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Irish, Scottish, English...all the same annoying accent to me lol.
Really? I can tell the difference between an Irish, Scottish, and English accent fairly easily. I just don't know about Welsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpxexaxcxex View Post
That stupid accent that dummy Michele Bachman used to talk made my ears bleed.
Upper Midwest accent.
Ugh!!!!

THA BERZ!!!!! (the bears)
No one says "The Bears" like that and Chicago is not the Upper Midwest.

Last edited by plates; 08-11-2012 at 01:17 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 03:43 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,666,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Most admired? Try most annoying.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,798,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Nah, I agree with him. Just because you thinks that an accent is highly admired, doesn't mean that it is. A lot of people admire the Southern accent, but then a lot of people hate it. Everyone's different.
It's not about just what I think. Plenty of people are always saying how much they like the New Orleans accent. It's easily the most exotic sounding of all American dialects. All I'm saying is that people who dislike it are most likely in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or