U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 10:38 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,010,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Ok I know that everyone thinks I'm a terrible NYer but I have to ask this question (and it's an honest, innocent question not meant to offend anyone so please just see it for what it is):

Wouldn't you rather have a thick NY accent that is understandable versus a southern accent that mixes and slurs all the words together that makes it impossible to understand?

My parents both have mild New England accents and my aunts and uncles all have very heavy NY accents, so I've become accustomed to both. Now that I live in Atlanta, I often take a step back and try to figure out why southern people with thick accents tell me that they can't understand me sometimes because of mine. The NY/New England accent might be annoying, but I just feel that it's hard to say southern accents are less annoying and more natural sounding than NY accents.

Know what I'm sayin'?
you're looking at it from your point of view. If you grew up in the South, you'd look at it differently. In reality, neither is more "natural-sounding" or better. Neither is more annoying. It's subjective

Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,682,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
you're looking at it from your point of view. If you grew up in the South, you'd look at it differently. In reality, neither is more "natural-sounding" or better. Neither is more annoying. It's subjective
I knew someone was gonna say that but really if you step back and compare the accents, how isn't the southern accent more difficult to comprehend than a northern one? I definitely can see how some people could find the NY accent extremely annoying, but I mean jeez.

I'm gonna stop posting though as I know a bunch of people are gonna start jumping on me.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,010,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I knew someone was gonna say that but really if you step back and compare the accents, how isn't the southern accent more difficult to comprehend than a northern one? I definitely can see how some people could find the NY accent extremely annoying, but I mean jeez.

I'm gonna stop posting though as I know a bunch of people are gonna start jumping on me.
It depends on who's speaking. You have really articulate people on both sides and people who are inarticulate on both sides.

This is a strong Southern accent, but is he hard to understand?

Adrian Rogers - Faith - YouTube

Both accents deviate from "Standard English" mostly because they've changed the way that vowels are pronounced.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:23 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,172,550 times
I don't know. I just hate it when people say "Melk" and "Pellow".

Those.....are supposed to be EEEEYYYYYYYEEEEEES!!!

Although, if I head up north, say Toronto....they say I sound American. Apparently, according to them, I would have pronounced that as "Amurican". Maybe I do...I have no idea. I guess, given my cities location, if we sound like anyone it's the people of Detroit. But it's pretty stange that only a half mile of water splits Windsor and Detroit apart, but there is still a significant difference in accents between the two of us. We say "garage", they say "gay-raj". We say "roof", they say "ruuf". Those Michigan country folks though, lol....they do sound pretty funny.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:08 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,454,707 times
Quote:
I have no idea. I guess, given my cities location, if we sound like anyone it's the people of Detroit. But it's pretty stange that only a half mile of water splits Windsor and Detroit apart, but there is still a significant difference in accents between the two of us. We say "garage", they say "gay-raj". We say "roof", they say "ruuf". Those Michigan country folks though, lol....they do sound pretty funny.
Haha, it's true. Crossing the bridge from Michigan to Canada gives you two completely different accents. Count me among the people who pronounce it "ruuf." And rural Michigan definitely has it's own unique accent! Most people from outside the state will never really hear it, though, unless they spend a lot of time talking to people in rural areas. It's actually different from anything else I've heard, including Wisconsin and Minnesota. Maybe we are too isolated up here in the peninsula. We don't have enough outsiders here to keep us in line.

Last edited by michigan83; 08-24-2012 at 04:17 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 04:18 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,454,707 times
Here's a good example of the Michigan "country folk" accent. Except for the last girl... she sounds like she's from Wisconsin.

B-93 Birthday Bash concertgoers stranded by flood waters - YouTube

Old 08-24-2012, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,222 times
boston, hands down. if california surfer slime doesnt count

Old 08-31-2012, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,359 times
Washington DC's accent annoys me the most. Not the transplants of course but the natives.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:23 PM

582 posts, read 777,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emart29jr View Post
Washington DC's accent annoys me the most. Not the transplants of course but the natives.
Examples? I live near enough to DC but i've always thought of them having a standard eastern midland accent.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 PM

779 posts, read 1,412,739 times
nothing worse than a southern accent to my ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or