Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I freakin' hate the western NY accent. They might as well secede and become part of Michigan or whatever midwestern states are out that way. At the company I work at now, there's a woman from Rochester who sits behind me all throughout the day and we're the only NYers in the firm and it's ironic that we can't stand each other's accents. We really don't get along, but I find that in most NYers who transplant to other places.
What accent are you talking about ?

I love this acccent it not really big the acccent you know.

hysterical blindness - YouTube

Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
^^^ Western NYers have an accent. At least I can tell that they do, along with many others who are native to nearby regions.

The Curse of a Nasal Accent: Rah-chester, N'York or Rochester, New York? - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 09-11-2012, 03:17 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
1.) That mid-Atlantic, old English, long O as in "I know". "I knooooow". "oh, I knooooow". That gets under my skin. (It's "I know" NOT I knoooow" 2.) Young women that end all of their sentences on a high note, as if they are asking you a question, and drag out their vowels. 3.) The "like" people. "Like, we went to this store the other day". And like it was so cool". "Like, they had these posters". ( Is it LIKE it or is it actually it?) 4.) "You know" people. My friend Jimmy lives down in the city, you know. He has this big white house on the corner, you know. And he has a really big fenced yard, you know. (No, I DON"T know, you're telling me) 5.) People who halfway through your sentence, look at you with a blank stare and say "Huuuh"? And there is nothing physically wrong with them. The front porch light is on but no one is home. "Hey did you see the news the other day where..Huuuuh? I stop and stare at them and soon I can see the gears in their head starting to turn, and finally they catch up and say 'oh yeah".

Old 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Young women that end all of their sentences on a high note, as if they are asking you a question, and drag out their vowels.
What do you mean? Do you have any youtube videos of people doing this.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
What do you mean? Do you have any youtube videos of people doing this.
I have a niece who used to do this.

"This guuuuuy? In my schoooool? He came to the school wearing a haaat? And the teeeeacher? She made him take it awwwwf?"

Old 09-13-2012, 03:58 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,511 times
Most of the US accents drive me nuts. Whatever that accent is that Sarah Palin and the actors in Fargo speak. That one really grinds my ear drums. Boston is irritating, mostly because I can't understand them. Long Island. Terrible accent there, akin to Boston. West coast, Southern, Philadelphian, South Philadelphian and Brooklyn are fine. Also the "American" accent is a good one.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:07 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Most of the US accents drive me nuts. Whatever that accent is that Sarah Palin and the actors in Fargo speak. That one really grinds my ear drums. Boston is irritating, mostly because I can't understand them. Long Island. Terrible accent there, akin to Boston. West coast, Southern, Philadelphian, South Philadelphian and Brooklyn are fine. Also the "American" accent is a good one.
You like Brooklyn accents but not Long Island accents?

Actually, I can kinda understand that.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,511 times
Quote:
You like Brooklyn accents but not Long Island accents?

Actually, I can kinda understand that.
Funny thing, ain't it?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Quote:
^^^ Western NYers have an accent. At least I can tell that they do, along with many others who are native to nearby regions.

The Curse of a Nasal Accent: Rah-chester, N'York or Rochester, New York? - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
I was born and raised in Rochester, moved to NC for 13 years, and have now been back in Rochester for 5 years. Growing up I NEVER thought I had an accent. I thought Upstate NY was where people had no accents. Boy did I realize I was wrong after a few years down south. When I would come back and visit...I realized how nasaly everyone sounded! Now that we have moved back....my kids, who mostly grew up in NC (except for the youngest) sound fairly neutral, and my wife and I did too for a while...but now we are right back to our Raaaaaah'chstr accents trying to buy some Paahp eee'yund haahts at Wegmans...where they will put them in a paaay'pr or pleeay-stik "bayg" (bag rhymes with vague...not kidding).

Call it bias...but I find the Raah'chster accent (and the general great lakes accents which are closely related to it) charming. I also enjoy the central peidmont Carolina accent that most native NC'ians had when we lived down there...but NOT the Eastern NC accent!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I was born and raised in Rochester, moved to NC for 13 years, and have now been back in Rochester for 5 years. Growing up I NEVER thought I had an accent. I thought Upstate NY was where people had no accents. Boy did I realize I was wrong after a few years down south. When I would come back and visit...I realized how nasaly everyone sounded! Now that we have moved back....my kids, who mostly grew up in NC (except for the youngest) sound fairly neutral, and my wife and I did too for a while...but now we are right back to our Raaaaaah'chstr accents trying to buy some Paahp eee'yund haahts at Wegmans...where they will put them in a pay-per or pleeay-stik "bayg" (bag rhymes with vague...not kidding).
Also where is Rochester ? There is Rochester in almost every state http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester

From what I understand there not much of any accent in Alabama at all now .And place like Huntsville or Birmingham-Hoover you find no accent .There no southern drawl in Alabama and they talk faster in Alabama .

Even places like South Carolina don't have much of a accent .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.