U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2013, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,514 posts, read 9,077,753 times
Reputation: 5010

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
I'm pretty sure that's how most people pronounce the word "ferry". How do you pronounce it?
Second. ^

I pronounce ferry and fairy the same way.

 
Old 07-13-2013, 01:51 PM
 
Location: East of the Mississippi and South of Bluegrass
4,456 posts, read 3,765,630 times
Reputation: 9621
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
I'm pretty sure that's how most people pronounce the word "ferry". How do you pronounce it?
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking...have I been pronouncing ferry wrong all these years? I don't think so as everyone has understood me so far.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
 
Old 07-13-2013, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,257 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Reputation: 66772
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
I'm pretty sure that's how most people pronounce the word "ferry". How do you pronounce it?
Ferry. LOL.

Rhymes with "berry". Do you say "bairy"? Actually, I think some people do, so maybe that won't help.

"FEH-ree", as opposed to "FARE-ee"
 
Old 07-13-2013, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,257 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Reputation: 66772
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
A slight southern twang is actually an amiable accent. Now what is annoying is the deep south thick southern accent where they just sound uneducated. I sometimes wonder if those people think as slow as they talk.
That's true. There are many different southern accents. Some are more pleasant to the ear than others, but of course pleasant is all subjective.
 
Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,257 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Reputation: 66772
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Second. ^

I pronounce ferry and fairy the same way.
I think this sort of thing was addressed on another thread not long ago. For example, depending upon the region, some people pronounce "merry, marry, and Mary" all the same way, whereas to me, none of them are pronounced the same way.
 
Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Better half of PA
1,391 posts, read 1,042,965 times
Reputation: 609
Whatever the accent Sarah Palin speaks with.
 
Old 07-13-2013, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill FL
552 posts, read 614,981 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think this sort of thing was addressed on another thread not long ago. For example, depending upon the region, some people pronounce "merry, marry, and Mary" all the same way, whereas to me, none of them are pronounced the same way.
How do you pronounce marry and Mary differently?
 
Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,257 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Reputation: 66772
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
How do you pronounce marry and Mary differently?
Wow. I would have thought "merry and Mary" would have been pronounced the same sooner than "marry and Mary".

Marry is said with a short "a", as in "cat". Now if you have a southern accent and say it like "cayat", that's not going to help, lol. Mary is pronounced with a long "a": "MAY-ree".

HA, just did a search and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gSdzSrMuOI

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-13-2013 at 10:00 PM..
 
Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,915,110 times
Reputation: 4239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wow. I would have thought "merry and Mary" would have been pronounced the same sooner than "marry and Mary".

Marry is said with a short "a", as in "cat". Now if you have a southern accent and say it like "cayat", that's not going to help, lol. Mary is pronounced with a long "a": "MAY-ree".

HA, just did a search and found this:


Mary marry merry - YouTube
I'm not southern and I pronounce Mary and Marry and Merry all the same too (with the short "a"). Just like Ferry and Fairy.
 
Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,257 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Reputation: 66772
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
I'm not southern and I pronounce Mary and Marry and Merry all the same too (with the short "a"). Just like Ferry and Fairy.
Interesting.

And I bet you don't say "cawfee" or "tawk", as I do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top