Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I always thought people saying the "H" in "vehicle" was just a joke, then I heard people really speak that way.

And years ago I had a phone job where I had to call people and get them to renew their expired magazine subscriptions. There's a whole section out there in the middle of the country where the people end every conversation with "You bet."

Where I grew up (PA Dutch country in Eastern PA), it was common to end a sentence with "ain't"? Like, "It's raining outside, ain't?" Also, "ow" was pronounced ahh, like "hah nah brahn cah".

Old 07-26-2012, 07:26 AM

64 posts, read 67,030 times
New Jersey, Boston, & Philly. They need to evolve.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
I can't think of a specific accent that grates on me EXCEPT a vowel issue that seems to be both southern and midwestern, wherein people pronounce words like "Pin" and "Pen" the same. In other words, they use the short "i" sound in both words and no "eh" sound appears in words like pen.

I even notice this on electronic voices! When I check my email at work, I hear "Inter your ID code." And I hear it in anchorpeople on television talking about "Look for this on the Tin O'clock news."

I wonder how it came to be that so many people lost the short "e" sound.

The Philly/South Jersey accent can be annoying to hear, but that's probably because the person I know who uses it the most is an annoying person, lol.

By the way, OP, I didn't hear any weird sound in the first guy's A in the middle of words, so I suspect it's because that's how we say it here in NJ!
I can see how having to differentiate between a pin and an inkpin would be annoying, but having spent considerable time in East Texas my brain has learned to do the contextual math.

The accents that I have the most trouble with are the New England dialects in which a conversation involves excessive pantomime and the cadence is too fast. It doesn't matter if the speaker is on the phone or across the table; there is a lot of motion. Further, you'll miss some context if you aren't looking at them.

The WORST accent I've ever heard was a real coon-ass in Plaquemines Parish. I normally find the cajun dialects interesting and colorful, and I like the New Orleans "y'at" speak, but I understood about three words for every ten that this guy said. Don't ask for directions in Plaquemines Parish.

I spoke with a Scotsman in New York many years ago who was completely unintelligible. I thought he must be Finnish at first, but I didn't think that the rolled "R" was a component of the scandinavian languages.

I travelled to Australia in college and had a long conversation in a bar with an Ozzie about sports. At one point I asked him what position he played in "soccer". It took me about five minutes and numerous repetitions to realize that when he said "KOO-wee-per" he was actually saying "keeper".

Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Having a job for almost 40 years that required I travel to the remote portions... (i.e. mountains, "back-country areas", remote desert areas ).... of approx 70% of the of the 50 states and about half of Canada, I encountered many, many different accents, most of which I really enjoyed hearing and found some of them very interesting. What did on occasion bother me was: certain "speech patterns" ....specifically "speaking at a very rapid rate". and as I have "added on the years", I now find that I really become agitated when I am exposed to someone who speaks way too fast and has an accent associated with being raised and educated in the U.K. (London, England specifically). Best example I can think of is Piers Morgan on CNN...............I have to turn him off........

The two accents that I really enjoy are when I have a conversation with a lady, native to Charleston or Savannah, about 40 years of age, who knows she is "hot" and lets you know that she is enjoying the conversation!!

In 2nd place would be same type of woman, but native to "old-town" Dallas or Tyler.

EDIT:>.... In keeping with the original premise of this Thread, I should mention that the most annoying accent for me would be a native from the South Jersey/Philly area who speaks way too fast.

................Just some thoughts from an ol' fogey who enjoys "Pretty-Ladies" who "understand men"

Last edited by Montana Griz; 07-26-2012 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: To keep my post "on Topic"

Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,029 times
Quote:
I am NY/NJ and I don't say that, and I can't stand it, either. Not sure where that comes from, but I do know a woman who grew up in the city and she says it. Also "Yooge" for "Huge".
yes! that one too. one of the guys in the office was raised in brooklyn or the bronx. my friend from new jersey says uman though!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 PM

311 posts, read 467,210 times
I'm from upstate NY, Now living in TN. When I first moved here they couldn't understand me and I had a hard time understanding some people. Words like fire sound like fir. Oil sounds like ol. When I visit NY,they tell me I have a southern accent. So certain words annoy me. Some phases, also. I say "turn off the light" some people here say "switch the light off" or "get you a cup of milk" instead of "get yourself a cup of milk" An accent that really annoys me is Long Island.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
This is a stupid thread. :/

Clearly the most annoying accent is all of them. Because people never shut up and I want them dead most of the time. XD

Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Balmore mushmouth.

Think Spiro Agnew.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
I am NY/NJ and I don't say that, and I can't stand it, either. Not sure where that comes from, but I do know a woman who grew up in the city and she says it. Also "Yooge" for "Huge".
AUGH - that drives me CRAZY! Also "umane" as in "It's the most umane thing to do."

Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flower54 View Post
I'm from upstate NY, Now living in TN. When I first moved here they couldn't understand me and I had a hard time understanding some people. Words like fire sound like fir. Oil sounds like ol. When I visit NY,they tell me I have a southern accent. So certain words annoy me. Some phases, also. I say "turn off the light" some people here say "switch the light off" or "get you a cup of milk" instead of "get yourself a cup of milk" An accent that really annoys me is Long Island.
That's actually "GITCHOO a cuppa milk!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.