U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most reserved/unfriendly part of the US?
The Northeast 81 50.00%
The South 30 18.52%
The Midwest 12 7.41%
The Northwest 33 20.37%
The Southwest 6 3.70%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 AM

275 posts, read 347,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
I think this is pretty much SPOT ON, and I grew up in CT, moved to NH after college. People in NH are still reserved but much more down to earth and friendly. For the first few years living here it blew me away how random strangers would fire up friendly conversations at the gas station, at the grocery store, pretty much anywhere I went. Growing up in CT I never experience so many random strangers being nice and friendly to me.

Even though parts of the North east can be friendly (primarily north of the mass pike), I think as a whole the north east people are much more reserved and can be downright rude and pretentious (Primarly in the urban areas of southern New England) Not to say there are not nice people in southern new england and rude people in northern new england.

we've often thought about living in NH due to no sales tax & much nicer folks. The winters r harsh tho.
take care. please say some prayers for the few decent people in So. NE, they are having their lives ruined by the hostile people in that area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 AM

11,171 posts, read 22,361,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well there is the saying good fences make good neighbors but I will be honest, all Iowans I have met are pretty freindly and pretty down to earth
Well the poster who stated that Des Moines is unfriendly has issues being there and huge issues with the people, so of course you have to take into account it's CityData and all personal opinion anyway. I'm actually from Iowa, live in Chicago now but travel all over on a monthly basis. Iowans are generally pretty nice, and certainly laid back. I go back there and tend to forget how chatty people are in stores, etc. I tailgate with my parents and people from around the state are there with their own friends and they're always strutting up starting random conversations.

The state was pretty stagnant in the 70's, and then the farm crisis of the 80's really tore the heart and soul out of it. Thousands of farmers went bankrupt, many killed themselves and others, it led directly to the downfall of the ag machinery busines in Iowa and devestated numerous cities and towns. So it wasn't just the farmers and rural areas that got smashed, it was also the people in the Quad Cities, Sioux City, Waterloo and Dubuque that lost upwards of 10%+ of their population during the 80's. Cedar Rapids and Des Moines got through better than the others, but even then they shrank in population and were stagnant. Iowa City was the only one to make it through ok, even though the University of Iowa had lots of layoffs due to the state almost going bankrupt.

It wasn't until the mid 90's and especially the 2000's that these areas stabilized, and now Des Moines isn't just stable, but actually growing quite fast, has decent jobs and a very positive outlook. The poster who is really sick of Des Moines think the people there are thinking too far outside the box as far as where they live. I don't think he understands how the city was for decades up until the past 10 years or so. People are finally able to be proud of the state and city because it's offering up a lot of nice standards of living and opportunities that were so lacking just 15-25 years ago. Can't blame them for looking forward and being overly optimistic. I'd much rather have that than go back to when I was growing up in the 80's when over 200,000 people fled the state and it was SO bleak.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:41 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,239,033 times
Des Moines was pretty fanatical about itself even back in the 90s. That is nothing new.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 PM

318 posts, read 395,199 times
Northeast and Northwest, hands down.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:57 AM

368 posts, read 833,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
The Hampton Roads area surprises me. I would think people would be nice there...
We are!

We're transplants to Hampton Roads, but we've found the people to be really nice here. My family and I have lived in quite a few places, and HR has been very welcoming to us. I can't speak to the rest of VA (we really haven't seen that much of it), but, overall, we really like the people in Hampton Roads--great weather, too!

I'm really at the point now where I'm wondering if the whole "regional differences" thing is really just a myth. Between my husband and myself, we've lived in the NE, SE, California, Colorado and Texas, and, honestly, I really can't see any particular differences among people. Maybe the people in the NE are initially a little less outgoing, but they're certainly no less kind or willing to lend a hand than people anywhere else. And California, for all it's reputation of being easy going and laid back, really didn't strike me as a whole lot more relaxed than anywhere else I'd lived. Maybe it's because of all the relocation people do now, but, really, is anybody actually finding that there's an obvious (and real) difference among regions? I'd be interested to know because, in my experience, it's just not particularly striking .

Last edited by artistatheart; 10-13-2012 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 02:27 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,927,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
we've often thought about living in NH due to no sales tax & much nicer folks. The winters r harsh tho.
take care. please say some prayers for the few decent people in So. NE, they are having their lives ruined by the hostile people in that area!
NH has no income or sales tax. COL is still fairly high, though. Most live in southern NH due to a better availability of jobs and closer proximity to Boston job market. Rural NH is great if you are retired or like the small town flavor of New England with easy access to great outdoor recreation.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:57 PM

10 posts, read 12,087 times
Default ahhh

The high plains have the rudest people, the nicest people in the world live in Montana

Old 10-13-2012, 06:26 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,662,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factsaxsax View Post
The high plains have the rudest people, the nicest people in the world live in Montana
People live in Montana?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:44 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,596,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factsaxsax View Post
No. I think this poll is correct as to who the friendly people are: the Midwesterners, who tend to have simpler values, and the Southwesterners, most of whom come from somewhere else and don't care where people come from.

Montanans are not that friendly. They complain about Californians with money moving in. They have LESS reason to complain than any state. It is absolutely enormous in terms of land area and has, at most, about 1 million people. Similarly, Oregonians complain about Californians. There are less people in the entire state than there are in the 460 sq. mi. city of Los Angeles, where most have room to park 2 cars in front of their houses, between the two driveway curb cuts. I'd throw the Montanans, and the Idahoans, in with the Pacific Northwest about being unreceptive to outsiders.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,442,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No. I think this poll is correct as to who the friendly people are: the Midwesterners, who tend to have simpler values, and the Southwesterners, most of whom come from somewhere else and don't care where people come from.

Montanans are not that friendly. They complain about Californians with money moving in. They have LESS reason to complain than any state. It is absolutely enormous in terms of land area and has, at most, about 1 million people. Similarly, Oregonians complain about Californians. There are less people in the entire state than there are in the 460 sq. mi. city of Los Angeles, where most have room to park 2 cars in front of their houses, between the two driveway curb cuts. I'd throw the Montanans, and the Idahoans, in with the Pacific Northwest about being unreceptive to outsiders.
It's not so much about the number of people moving in. It's the fact that they move from California, drive the prices up and try to change the way things are done and how the people who have always lived there can live their lives. Oh yeah, they tend to be pretty obnoxious about it, too. I don't blame Montanans for not being very friendly and receptive to outsiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or