Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city would best fit in with the 5 cities of the Northeast Corridor
Pittsburgh 25 46.30%
Atlanta 6 11.11%
Miami 4 7.41%
New Orleans 6 11.11%
Cleveland 14 25.93%
Detroit 8 14.81%
Chicago 24 44.44%
Minneapolis 7 12.96%
St. Louis 14 25.93%
Dallas 0 0%
Houston 1 1.85%
Denver 2 3.70%
Phoenix 1 1.85%
San Diego 1 1.85%
Los Angeles 2 3.70%
San Francisco 18 33.33%
Seattle 10 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,028 times

Advertisements

San Francisco has been described as "the finest East Coast city ever built." A lot of San Francisco developed in the decades from 1848 on, which were pretty foundational for East Coast cities too. San Francisco isn't Manhattan, but there are aspects of the way the city is laid out that echo Manhattan. The wooden rowhouse neighborhoods of San Francisco have similarities to the brick rowhouse neighborhoods of Boston or Brooklyn or Philadelphia.

I just have to snark on Saint Louis for a moment--to my knowledge it is the only major American city that demolished one major historic landmark to provide an adjacent parking garage for another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
San Francisco has been described as "the finest East Coast city ever built." A lot of San Francisco developed in the decades from 1848 on, which were pretty foundational for East Coast cities too. San Francisco isn't Manhattan, but there are aspects of the way the city is laid out that echo Manhattan. The wooden rowhouse neighborhoods of San Francisco have similarities to the brick rowhouse neighborhoods of Boston or Brooklyn or Philadelphia.

I just have to snark on Saint Louis for a moment--to my knowledge it is the only major American city that demolished one major historic landmark to provide an adjacent parking garage for another.
What might this historic landmark be?

Old 11-22-2012, 09:29 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
The Northeast Corridor. Bowash. The Megalopolis. Whatever you call it, the very apex of urban America by any standard is this string of cities, metro areas, and interconnecting towns that run northeastward, in a row: Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston.

The region has no peers.

But there is a whole lot of country beyond that narrow stretch of the Atlantic Coast. The model for urban America was basically set by these northeastern cities and transported from greater to lesser degrees to the major cities throughout the US.

If we use the Northeast Corridor as a model, which American cities do you think would fit best in this region based on the urban model they present. This is not a better than/worse than or ranking thread by any means; I have no intention of pitting one city against another here. I'm merely trying to find the cities that offer the type of urbanity of the east coast by whatever measures you use (mine would include density, downtown-centric, mass transit, important cultural centers, walkability, ethnic neighborhoods, sense of place, older buildings,etc.)
Based off this, I'd go with Pittsburgh, Chicago, Cleveland, St. Louis, Seattle, San Francisco, and Minneapolis. Pittsburgh is a pretty obvious one considering it is part of the Northeast and aligns much more with the Megalopolis cities than cities to the west and south of it (besides Cleveland and maybe Columbus). I didn't add Detroit in there because it doesn't have the density, ethnic neighborhoods (still intact), walkability, mass transit, and downtown-centric of other Northeast cities.

Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Houston, and Denver are a far from a Northeastern culture as you can get IMO.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:48 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Probably Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Not only because of their geographical locations, but the history and demographic makeup is most similar to the cities on the East Coast.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Minneapolis and Chicago. Pittsburgh as far as I'm concerned is already in the Northeast.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:13 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Phoenix
Tucson
Salt Lake City
Oklahoma City
Jacksonville
Fort Worth
Boise
Anchorage
Reno

They all have historic downtown areas with archeticture quite similar to the northeast. I would say out of this list Reno fits the most though because its somewhat compact and its probably the most liberal out of these cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.