U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you feel LEAST safe in?
New York 7 6.36%
Los Angeles 12 10.91%
Chicago 36 32.73%
Houston 5 4.55%
Philadelphia 40 36.36%
Phoenix 6 5.45%
San Antonio 3 2.73%
San Diego 0 0%
Dallas 1 0.91%
San Jose 0 0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,096,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Applies to Houston and Dalls. Long Beach is more populous and way denser than Sprawlanta. You also forgot Boston, Milwaukee, Denver, and for god sakes Mesa, Sacramento, and Fresno.
I'm going by metros not city propers (houston and dallas have big metros). City propers are arbitrary limits. Metros at least measure how many people are tied to the city whether it's sprawly like Atlanta or more compact like NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 PM

573 posts, read 882,703 times
Quote:
Applies to Houston and Dalls. Long Beach is more populous and way denser than Sprawlanta. You also forgot Boston, Milwaukee, Denver, and for god sakes Mesa, Sacramento, and Fresno.
What are you taking about?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 PM

14,131 posts, read 16,226,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I'm going by metros not city propers (houston and dallas have big metros). City propers are arbitrary limits. Metros at least measure how many people are tied to the city whether it's sprawly like Atlanta or more compact like NYC.
Actually that is why you have CSAs. But do feel free to explain how Mountainview is less tied to San Francisco than Pike County, PA, is to NYC. Arbitrary lines calling?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Actually that is why you have CSAs. But do feel free to explain how Mountainview is less tied to San Francisco than Pike County, PA, is to NYC. Arbitrary lines calling?
why should i explain it, do you think including it or not would alter the list I made?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,164,600 times
Philly. I love Philly, though, and I've rarely felt unsafe there.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 PM

5,390 posts, read 13,037,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
San Diego, and San Antonio are not big cities. They just generously defined their city limits to include a larger share of their suburbs.

San Jose is a bit similar, but at least it's part of a large metro area (The Bay).

The list should be:

NYC
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington DC (includes Baltimore)
Dallas
San Francisco (which would include San Jose)
Houston
Philadelphia
Miami
Atlanta
Why do metro areas? The list are the 10 largest cities and San Antonio is one of them as well as San Diego.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 AM

711 posts, read 1,294,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
PHILADELPHIA there is no doubt in my mind that place has a crime problem that is so out of control. OMG!!

NONE OF THOSE OTHER CITIES COME CLOSE TO PHILY ON MURDER, NONE.

Voting for San Jose or San Diego or anything other than Phily or maybe Chicago is suspect in itself.
Philadelphia Closes 2011 With Highest Per-Capita Murder Rate Of United States Cities CBS Philly

Philly Tops Homicide List | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Murder rate per 100,000 population, 10 largest U.S. cities

Philadelphia 20.7
Chicago 15.7
Dallas 10.9
Houston 9.3
L.A. 7.8
Phoenix 7.6
San Antonio 6.5
New York 6.1
San Jose 4.0
San Diego 2.9

Old 07-24-2012, 01:13 AM

711 posts, read 1,294,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
Over all I would say philadelphia.. although 95 percent of chicagos homicides are concentrated on the cities south and west sides. so just going by specific areas chicagos southside I would say especially the englewood neighborhood is the the most dangerous of any neighborhood in the top ten largest cities and probably the country...
Right I understand that some people in Chicago have been behaving very primitive & barbaric.

We all know they are teenage gang bangers who don't have responsible parents.

I feel sorry for the innocent kids who get killed when tribal minds shoot each other over bandana colors.

They get no respect in America and need to be deported back to the 3rd world immediately.

Now the situation in Philadelphia is not the same as Chicago like many others are saying.

Philly basically has places like Strawberry Mansion and other parts that look like a Haunted House.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,930,824 times
I didn't vote because I think this is not a smart question. If we are speaking large cities then they should all feel equally safe depending on where and how you move in this city.

Someone who hangs in the more northern areas of Chicago has a safer chance of moving about compared to someone who wants to hang in the south Bronx or north Philly.

Maybe a better question would be which one of these cities have more bad areas?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Why do metro areas? The list are the 10 largest cities and San Antonio is one of them as well as San Diego.
because san antonio defined itself to be like 90% of its metro area. No one will walk away with the impression that san antonio is bigger than atlanta or miami. So why include it? Let's stick to TRULY big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or