U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 03:46 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,243,479 times

Advertisements

Had this idea for a thread while standing outside an office building today. Post a "typical" picture, such as this:

http://flickr/p/cCtmbQ
and use it to tell a story.

This is a picture taken in Metairie, Louisiana, an unincorporated suburb of New Orleans located in Jefferson Parish. It's fairly obvious that there is a limited-access highway running across the photo. That's Interstate 10, and where it crosses the elevated trench it enters Orleans Parish, which is coextensive with the city of New Orleans.

The elevated trench is not hiding a street; as you can see, there is no interchange with I-10. Rather, the trench holds the 17th street canal, which was breached at several points during Katrina and was responsible for much of the flooding in the city. The breaches occurred on the left side of the canal as it appears in the picture.

When I-10's routing was chosen, there was a country club, Lakewood, which it ended up bisecting. The neighborhoods on either side of I-10 are now know as Lakewood North and South. Both sections contain upscale homes, many of which were flooded during Katrina.

The history of Lakewood itself is interesting. There is the old-money New Orleans Country Club, also located in this area of the city, which was closed to Jews for many years, so the Jewish population built Lakewood for themselves. It had to be moved when the interstate was built, was moved onto the West Bank of the River, and then hosted the New Orleans PGA tournament for several years; one year the winner was a golfer by the name of Jack Nicklaus. As a 13-year-old punk of a kid, I used to ride my bike around the clay courts of the "new" Lakewood. It is no longer the host of the PGA tournament, but it is owned by the NOFD's pension fund and is undergoing total redevelopment, still as a golf course, but also with condos, villas, etc.

Last edited by JMT; 07-24-2012 at 05:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM

Having trouble with the picture, obviously...

Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 PM

14,157 posts, read 19,801,033 times
Copy the image location and click the picture button on the dialog box here and paste the link. Also copy and paste the link under it if you do not have permission to post.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 AM

11,905 posts, read 32,960,859 times
Per the rules, please post pics that you have taken yourself and ONLY pics that you have taken yourself. Otherwise, post only the links to the pics; do not hotlink images that are not yours. And remember, copying an image to your own photobucket/flickr/whatever account does not make the image yours.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 PM

I took the picture myself.

Trying again:

Default title upload by motoblur by ChrisinNewOrleans, on Flickr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.