U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM

188 posts, read 465,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, of course. But we are talking about costs - such as the cost of living, the cost of property taxes, etc. Hardly anyone would choose to live in a town ONLY because it was cheap!
There are always plenty of cheapskates to go around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:05 AM

44,960 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarichter View Post
There are always plenty of cheapskates to go around

Oh come on. Most people who choose NOT to live in urban areas do so because they don't LIKE living in urban areas.

I much prefer living two hours east of Dallas and one hour west of Shreveport. I get all the joys of small town living with the amenities of large metropolitan areas close at hand.

Close but not too close. But to each his own.

I went to Dallas yesterday and once again was stuck in traffic (at 3 pm - not rush hour) sitting there going 1 mph or at a complete standstill - it took me 20 minutes to get 1/2 a mile. That's a NORMAL occurrence, not a fluke. A week ago the same thing happened to me - on a different interstate in Dallas, at 10 am. It's very frustrating so I choose not to have that sort of frustration in my life on a daily basis.

The trade offs are worth it to me. I'm sure they are to those who live in Dallas as well and more power to 'em.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Oh come on. Most people who choose NOT to live in urban areas do so because they don't LIKE living in urban areas.

I much prefer living two hours east of Dallas and one hour west of Shreveport. I get all the joys of small town living with the amenities of large metropolitan areas close at hand.

Close but not too close. But to each his own.

I went to Dallas yesterday and once again was stuck in traffic (at 3 pm - not rush hour) sitting there going 1 mph or at a complete standstill - it took me 20 minutes to get 1/2 a mile. That's a NORMAL occurrence, not a fluke. A week ago the same thing happened to me - on a different interstate in Dallas, at 10 am. It's very frustrating so I choose not to have that sort of frustration in my life on a daily basis.

The trade offs are worth it to me. I'm sure they are to those who live in Dallas as well and more power to 'em.
My comment was directed towards people that live in the middle of nowhere with almost no amenities because it's cheap... they do exist because I know some of them.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
My comment was directed towards people that live in the middle of nowhere with almost no amenities because it's cheap... they do exist because I know some of them.
I'm sure they do exist. Some people live in Fort Worth simply because they like going to the rodeo at the stockyards every weekend, but they're a minority.

My point is that cost of living is usually A consideration but not the ONLY consideration for the vast majority of people.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:42 PM

20,855 posts, read 35,982,121 times
Quote:
I'm sure they do exist. Some people live in Fort Worth simply because they like going to the rodeo at the stockyards every weekend, but they're a minority.

My point is that cost of living is usually A consideration but not the ONLY consideration for the vast majority of people.
It's a concern for most that live in NYC that don't make excellent money as well as many other places.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It's a concern for most that live in NYC that don't make excellent money as well as many other places.
OK.

Why does a person choose to live in NYC? Job? Family? Tradition? Loves the culture?

I am discussing why people choose to live somewhere. I'm not discussing whether or not the cost of living is relevant or a concern. I'm simply saying that very few people choose a place to live - to build their life - based SOLELY on the cost of living.

"That random town is cheap! I think I'll live THERE! Then I'll decide whether or not I want to work there, play there, buy a house there, have kids there, determine whether or not it's close enough or far enough from extended family, decide whether or not I like the climate, the amenities, the school system. All that matters to me on the front end is this - IS THE COST OF LIVING LOW? Every other consideration pales in comparison to this issue!!!"

Not.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
OK.

I'm simply saying that very few people choose a place to live - to build their life - based SOLELY on the cost of living.
I'd argue that... and many others would to. There are plenty of people that pick places SOLELY based on price and then choose the pros and cons of each of those cheap places to suit their needs. I'm not saying it's bad... but it's the truth. Money unfortunately does make the world go around... without it, it's hard to eat, stay warm (or cold), stay healthy, educate, and entertain. Living in a cheaper place makes all of those other things easier to obtain.

There is a reason why people choose not to live in places like NYC. It's pretty much too expensive for the majority of the population. Sure, some choose to rent, live with roommates, live with family, or some other arrangement... but at some point, generally speaking, people move on to cheaper locations because most people want some sort of autonomy. There of course are a few exceptions.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I'd argue that... and many others would to. There are plenty of people that pick places SOLELY based on price and then choose the pros and cons of each of those cheap places to suit their needs. I'm not saying it's bad... but it's the truth. Money unfortunately does make the world go around... without it, it's hard to eat, stay warm (or cold), stay healthy, educate, and entertain. Living in a cheaper place makes all of those other things easier to obtain.

There is a reason why people choose not to live in places like NYC. It's pretty much too expensive for the majority of the population. Sure, some choose to rent, live with roommates, live with family, or some other arrangement... but at some point, generally speaking, people move on to cheaper locations because most people want some sort of autonomy. There of course are a few exceptions.
You don't get what I'm saying, I guess, but that's OK. I'll try one more time and then I'm done, because this is not any sort of major point.

You just contradicted yourself. You said they "choose a place solely based on price and then choose the pros and cons of each of those cheap places."

So - their choice is not based SOLELY on the cost of living. That's all I'm saying. People factor in all sorts of pros and cons when choosing a place to build their lives. It doesn't boil down to SOLELY cost of living, though of course that is usually part of their list of pros and cons.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
You don't get what I'm saying, I guess, but that's OK. I'll try one more time and then I'm done, because this is not any sort of major point.

You just contradicted yourself. You said they "choose a place solely based on price and then choose the pros and cons of each of those cheap places."

So - their choice is not based SOLELY on the cost of living. That's all I'm saying. People factor in all sorts of pros and cons when choosing a place to build their lives. It doesn't boil down to SOLELY cost of living, though of course that is usually part of their list of pros and cons.
I got it, I just don't think my explanation was clear enough. Here we go:

City A - costs $2000 a month to live and has climbing but no other amenities

City B - costs $5000 a month to live and has every amenity

City C - costs $2000 a month to live and has fishing but no other amenities

There are plenty of people out there that would pick City A or C over City B. That being said... they chose based on cost of living. The next step would be to pick between which amenities or features suit them. Some might pick A while others pick C. You can't simplify the psychology of someone picking a place to live by saying it's white or black. Many people pick their primary reason (substitute for the word SOLELY) for moving somewhere based on cost. You may not have, but plenty of people do.

The term SOLELY relates to an absolute that does not exist in reality (because as we all know the only absolutes are death and taxes)

Old 08-03-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I got it, I just don't think my explanation was clear enough. Here we go:

City A - costs $2000 a month to live and has climbing but no other amenities

City B - costs $5000 a month to live and has every amenity

City C - costs $2000 a month to live and has fishing but no other amenities

There are plenty of people out there that would pick City A or C over City B. That being said... they chose based on cost of living. The next step would be to pick between which amenities or features suit them. Some might pick A while others pick C. You can't simplify the psychology of someone picking a place to live by saying it's white or black. Many people pick their primary reason (substitute for the word SOLELY) for moving somewhere based on cost. You may not have, but plenty of people do.

The term SOLELY relates to an absolute that does not exist in reality (because as we all know the only absolutes are death and taxes)
My statement was correct. Most people do not base their decision on where to live SOLELY on the cost of living. I could have also stated correctly, as you did, that many people pick their primary reason for moving somewhere based on cost.

Of COURSE cost is a consideration - in fact, regardless of income, it can make THE difference between destination A or B or C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.