Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:11 PM

188 posts, read 515,711 times

Advertisements

I've recently read many threads about how awful some tax rates were. I think people forget the relative nature of such facts and figures. For anyone complaining about real estate tax anywhere in the country other than the northeast, please take a look at this wonderful little table.

Table: Who Pays America's Highest Property Taxes? - Forbes.com

Passaic County, my place of origin... and I can attest to how expensive it is to live there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarichter View Post
Passaic County, my place of origin... and I can attest to how expensive it is to live there!
But can you attest to whether or not it is worth paying more in property taxes and never really owning your home to live there?

Handy dandy chart. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:01 PM

93,271 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Some parts of the Northeast have pretty low home price averages, while some of the lower tax rate areas have a higher average home price that makes the overall housing cost higher than certain Northeastern areas. This also doesn't include taxes on other forms of property like vehicles, which you will find in select states.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:00 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
We're number 10! We're number 10!

ck makes a good point, though. Although real estate taxes are really high here, there is no sales tax on clothing or food essentials, no property tax on cars/motorcycles/boats/mopeds, and the gas tax is among the lowest in the nation.

In Virginia, the real estate tax was low, but sales tax was higher (and charged on food/clothing), gas tax was higher, had to pay state AND county property tax on cars, vehicle registration fees are high, and you had to pay for a state vehicle inspection (though it's not very expensive, still that's free in NJ). Do those nickels and dimes make up for the difference in real estate tax? Not sure, but probably not.

They're gonna get it out of you one way or another.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 PM

188 posts, read 515,711 times
Those are all good points, but I was orienting this towards real estate tax. The average home in northern NJ is pretty darn expensive and the tax on top of that makes it quite unaffordable for middle class people on one income (just as an example). Car insurance in NJ is one of the most expensive in the country because it is state regulated (a ton of companies don't even service NJ anymore because they can't be competitive and make money). I think all of the factors for cost of living in that metro area make it way more expensive than anywhere I've been on the west coast.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:25 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
What you neglect to mention is what you actually GET in high tax areas. In NJ, for instance, overall you have great police protection--and enough of it--and one of the overall top eduation systems in the nation. One that is rivaled only by another high-tax state, Massachiusetts. (With its high taxes residents also get universal health care.)

By contrast, in many areras of the country (especially low-income ones, even in NJ) with low taxes you have the worst of both worlds: a low level of local services AND higher housing costs.

Yes, that won't hold true 100% of the time. But mostly it will. The problem isn't high property taxes. It's when you pay those taxes and get little or nothing of value in return.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Whenever one sees the word "median" the rest is meaningless. For example, 3 houses: 3 @ $10,000 and one @ $10,000,000 = median of $10,000.

A slightly more useful comparison is "taxes as % of home value" since this negates the cost of living differences among communities.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:12 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
wow, I kept hearing on here about the high property tax in Texas, and the Chart shows that we are actually average. There are no Texas counties in the top 50, and all Texas Counties pay less than 5%.

I kept hearing that Texas lack of a State Tax is countered by a high property tax, but this chart doesn't seem to support that theory.

The three biggest cities, Houston, San Antonio and Dallas are not even in the top 100 with the highest property tax. Of the next 3 biggest Cities, Austin, Fort Worth and El Paso, only Austin is in the top 100.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:28 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
They apparently forgot about Bailey County, Texas where the total property tax rate inside the town of Muleshoe is over 3.0% and has been for the past ten years at least. Add to that Bailey County's annual property tax on privately owned vehicles less than ten years old and one can say Forbes didn't do their homework.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 PM

93,271 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
wow, I kept hearing on here about the high property tax in Texas, and the Chart shows that we are actually average. There are no Texas counties in the top 50, and all Texas Counties pay less than 5%.

I kept hearing that Texas lack of a State Tax is countered by a high property tax, but this chart doesn't seem to support that theory.

The three biggest cities, Houston, San Antonio and Dallas are not even in the top 100 with the highest property tax. Of the next 3 biggest Cities, Austin, Fort Worth and El Paso, only Austin is in the top 100.
Quite a few are in the 50-200 range though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.